Late Model 5.9L Common Rail Reliability

Dalko43

Explorer
The first 5 cylinders are perfectly reliable. I have no idea why the sixth one gets nuked so often.

Perhaps because that 6th cylinder gets "nuked" more often in your imagination than it does in real life.

The older 5.9L isn't perfect, but those kinds of catastrophic failures weren't too common with stock tuning; still aren't, I see plenty of them on the road.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Yeah, sure, ok.

I bow to your years of mechanical knowledge. Look dip s$&%, you can find plenty of examples in just one google search. Go to your local diesel shop, and you can find plenty more. Be an ostrich if you want to.
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/602200-blew-cylinder-6-a.html

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/...2-everyone-melted-had-6-cylinder-failure.html

Bad injectors happen.

You can find plenty of examples of owners of other brands having engine/vehicle having problems; that's all the internet is good for these days it seems. Go over to a Tundra forum and watch some owners talk about cam tower oil leaks; you'd think the 5.7l iForce v8 was a POS design from the way some of them complain.

I wasn't claiming that the 5.9l Cummins, or any engine for that matter, is without problems or any risk of failure. I am pointing out that the problem you're highlighting isn't a widespread one, if the stock tuning is used. If you tune for higher horsepower, all bets are off. And by the way, one of the threads you linked had owners blatantly admitting that; they tuned for higher horsepower, and then problems started occurring.

You can play the google search game all you want; I've dealt with the 5.9L as have others on this thread. The 6th cylinder isn't a common problem if you keep the tuning stock.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My only point is that it isn't the fable of reliability many claim it is. Not a bad engine, just don't expect it to be a b or c series.

Dalko43

Explorer
Just keep in mind, even the best one is already 11 years old.

This is partly what I was getting at earlier in the thread. Even if the engine is still in good shape, the truck itself may be in need of some serious work unless it previously served as a garage queen.

The Ford chassis and interior from that era of trucks seems to hold up well; the engine may be a different story (assuming its diesel). Most of the 3rd gen Ram HD's I've seen on dealer lots have not aged well, but I suppose that's subjective.

D

Deleted member 9101

This is partly what I was getting at earlier in the thread. Even if the engine is still in good shape, the truck itself may be in need of some serious work unless it previously served as a garage queen.

The Ford chassis and interior from that era of trucks seem to hold up well; the engine may be a different story (assuming its diesel). Most of the 3rd gen Ram HD's I've seen on dealer lots have not aged well, but I suppose that's subjective.

While is may be subjective, I've noticed the same thing.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Each Ford engine of that era had some very weird freakish issues. Even the mighty 7.3. I used to pity the Ford engineers. That lasted about as long as it takes for blood to drip from my knuckles. I'd go after a 7.3 or v10 from that era.

The 4r100 is only $2500 to rebuild.

Kingsize24

IMO, the 6th cylinder is a warranted issue. One I would address, and can be addressed fairly easy. That last cylinder gets cooked due to no coolant flow. You can use a simple hand held lazer thermo., and there is usaully a 20-30 degree swing in temp from the #1 to the #6. And it doesn't get better with altitude, when towing, or both. Fleece makes a really nice part to help with this, as well as a few others. Every part on the #6 cylinder is effected by the higher temp. So you see lots of part failures on the #6. Very simple to diagnose, and even simpler of a fix for reliability.

Lets not make this into a bashing thread, its fully understandable that things break there's no problem with that everything will eventually have problems. The main concern that has come across is the electrical on this truck, even at my house loaded with tools I have not been able to resolve the problems. Although the ones that have popped up are not ones to disable a vehicle, its concerning that even being at home and in the city the problems are not easily resolved and parts are not available. Thinking about what happens when out of the country and away from resources how easily can I get the problems fixed and the truck running again.

Throughout the hundred of thousands of miles with first gens I have not been left stranded by the vehicles, things have broken and issues occured. The ones out on the trails were able to be resolved with basic tools and improvising with the equipment carried along. One example of a pretty bad one was when climbing a hill covered in loose rock at the end the all the hopping ripped the motor and trans mounts out leaving the engine laying on its side. With some jacks and ratchet straps the engine was straightened and strapped down then drove a few hundred miles back home.

Vehicle choice here in the US seems to be really limited for a 4x4 diesel vehicle with solid axles and a manual transmission, in modern times its a superduty, excursion, or HD Ram. I liked the diesel FJ in Asia, and really wanted to buy an Iveco Daily 4x4 while in Germany but had no way of bring it back home legally, so I am not partial to any particular brand, I know nothing in the modern times is going to be like my 50's Chevy truck for simplicity.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
we have a 2006 3500 mega cab auto with around 250K on it, the other week it wouldn't crank and it was because the starter wire gets pinched between the intake piping and the starter and shorts out the TIPM. I was worried it was going to be really expensive but it was just the time of looking at it and fixing the wire. its a common issue on the 2005-6 according to dodge. My dad has a 2006 2500 auto and i am looking at picking up another 2006 2500 6-speed, gotta love no EGR/DPF.

Watt maker

The TIPM would be a valid concern if traveling out of the country. At my former job, I witnessed a few that crapped out for the oddest reasons, taking random functions with it and down right leaving a couple stranded. A couple were warranted, the others not and it was expensive every time. Slipping clutches and auto transmissions seemed to be expected over time unless upgraded. The only other serious failures were a few front driveshafts that just couldn’t handle the torque. The 6.7 seems reliable if fully deleted and mildly tuned with some of the same venerable parts as the 5.9L.

Seeing those 1st gens makes me kick myself all over for passing up a couple clean ones years ago. In my opinion, that’s what I would choose if I were traveling out of the country and needed a diesel.

lzpup

Observer
I have an 06 , upgraded the transmission and put a smarty on it. 160k on mine, most by previous owner. I have had a few issues. Transmission, auto, there is an issue where the coolant can flow into the transmission and kill it, that was expensive. Had an issue with my AC (sounds like the same issue NitroMethan was talking about early in the thread). I have not fixed this yet, ordered a new TIPM ($$$), but at the moment I am fighting a battery drain issue. I will put cutoff switches on the battery soon so I can turn them on off until I find the circuit with the issue. The battery drain is super frustrating. Perhaps consider taking an extra TIPM with you if you leave the country, I am not sure about the core charge, I think it is high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior