LC80 info

hks3sgte

César Gómez
You’re Canadian. You have access to a bunch of JDM trucks. You didn’t give an argument between choosing a 4Runner vs a Land Cruiser. What is it that you want and why?

Matt-c

I already got a 4runner but we need a 2nd vehicle so I would like to get either a 3rd gen 4runner or the 80 series I posted a link in my previous post! But I'm not sure what to look for in an 80 series so was hoping someone could have a read on the one for sale, and from what has been done to it what also needs to be done to it, would it be a good buy and what should I look for if go to see it !?
I would be a DD but I would like to go do some off road camping as well. Thanks

4Beast

Observer
Go onto IH8Mud and go to the 80 Series section for more info on what to look for and buying tips. As for that one, it seems pretty well sorted, but still a decent amount of money. In the States you could probably get an early 100 series for $9,000 (not sure what he exchange rate is these days) and most certainly a later 80 series. As another poster said, you have better access to cool JDM stuff, and can get diesels, which are desirable as well. As I've said a lot, If you want a daily driver with occasional offroad camping etc, the best bang for your buck is probably a 4th Gen 4Runner V8. 2UZ-FE engine and 5 speed auto built in Japan, good cargo space etc. A 3/2 lift, remove the running boards, maybe add sliders and you have a very reliable capable vehicle with really good on road manners and somewhat better mileage than a Cruiser.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I have a 93 80 series and just gave my son my 97 4Runner.

The 4Runner was reliable and reached 344K miles before I passed it on. It's still ticking and will continue to do so. No matter what you do to it, it'll never be what the 80 series is. Think of the 4Runners as 80 series Lite.

For an 80 series, you want a JDM 90-91 HDJ81 or a 93-97 FZJ80. The 90-91 gas models didn't have lockers and a few other aspects that makes them less desirable. They aren't bad, but they are shy of what the became. The 93and up 1FZFE engine, while not perfect, has around 60 more HP and it's all needed in these tanks. Lockers were common options. On the JDM models, they're often equipped with factory lockers, center console fridges, and the diesel 1HDT engines are efficient and reliable.

Matt-c

I have a 93 80 series and just gave my son my 97 4Runner.

The 4Runner was reliable and reached 344K miles before I passed it on. It's still ticking and will continue to do so. No matter what you do to it, it'll never be what the 80 series is. Think of the 4Runners as 80 series Lite.

For an 80 series, you want a JDM 90-91 HDJ81 or a 93-97 FZJ80. The 90-91 gas models didn't have lockers and a few other aspects that makes them less desirable. They aren't bad, but they are shy of what the became. The 93and up 1FZFE engine, while not perfect, has around 60 more HP and it's all needed in these tanks. Lockers were common options. On the JDM models, they're often equipped with factory lockers, center console fridges, and the diesel 1HDT engines are efficient and reliable.
I am swaying towards the 80 series tbh! Even though the one in the add is the gas model it has been fitted with triple lockers, I'm also thinking of a future diesel engine swap depending on how much money I save lol

VacMan1

91 no. They're underpowered enough without the smaller motor, especially once you start modding. 93+, a 100 series, or an import of you can find one.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I'll agree with what's been said already.

Pros of the listed rig:
Cloth interior in great shape
OEM Locker upgrade, with controller
Huge amount of maintenance seems to be already done... could be a nice turn key rig
2" OME lift
Hand Throttle! (I love mine!)
Upgraded full float rear axle with disc brakes (from an fzj80 I'm guessing... maybe he did front and rear axle swap with a locked fzj at a dealer?)
Rebuilt front axle

Cons:
3fe has less power than 1fz (but no head gasket issues)
Cracked windsheild
Unknown underbody condition

Overall:
This is a unique rig with some unique upgrades. If you live in a flatter, low altitude area (or your don't mind a slow rig), I think it would be worth haggling on. It comes down to what you want. Guys that say look for 100 series value comfort and power and are willing to sacrifice offroad capability. 100 series are great rigs but, in the rocks, they aren't an 80. 4th gen 4 runners are great rigs too... but they aren't an 80 either. I sold a fully built, locked, crawl box'd tacoma to get my 80 and it already outperforms my last rig. If you want to wheel decently hard trails with the whole family, there isn't anything else out there that can compete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles