Leadville 4WD Adventure, CO: (6/23-26/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
durango_60 said:
...I'm not sure if I want to go up to Denver and back down to Leadville...

Good point. I didn't realize that, but now that you mentioned it and I look at the map... hmmmm...

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Well, snow shouldn't be an issue for your guy's plans. The snow pack is melting at record rates up here. I've been working up at 12,000 feet for the past 5 days and it is scary how fast it is going right now. 40+ days of record heat and dry weather now.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
upcruiser said:
Well, snow shouldn't be an issue for your guy's plans. The snow pack is melting at record rates up here. I've been working up at 12,000 feet for the past 5 days and it is scary how fast it is going right now. 40+ days of record heat and dry weather now.

The boss of a club member got to drive Red Cone this weekend, the USFS opened the gate for a patrol (I think it's adopted by the Mile High Jeep Club?). The trail is still officially closed and the gate is locked again. This jives mostly with what we found in early July in the somewhat worse snow year of 2005. BTW, when he says he got to go back up Red Cone, that is really unique. It's a one way trail and they climbed this:

page10_6.jpg

The bulk of the post:

"Got this from my boss...

...the Forest Service opened up the gate on Red Cone for our patrol to do a first run Saturday. We got over the top and down about 1/3 of the way to Montezuma. We ran into snow in several places that was an absolute mess to get through - lots of winching, high-speed passes, etc. But it was all fun until we ran into a wall of snow 5 feet high. When we climbed up on the snow bank, we could see drifts 5-10 feet thick running down the trail for about 100 yards. We gave up. But that meant we had to go back UP Red Cone. That was an adventure! Not as bad as I feared, but not something I'd do every day. Webster Pass back down to 285 is snowed so much that it might be August before it melts out. Its a huge ridge of snow that extends probably 50 yards down the shelf road and its hard as a rock. We could walk on it without even beginning to sink an inch.

The truck was a mess. I had the top off, so I had mud inside and out - pretty much had one solid brown jeep. But it was worth it - a fun day all around."

Some photos from their trip.

47b6d835b3127cce98548964bb3900000017108EcNGzVw4cS

This is the top of Red Cone, looking down roughly NW towards Radical Hill area.

47b6d835b3127cce9854897f3a1200000017108EcNGzVw4cS

The snow field between north side of Red Cone and Webster Pass & Radical Hill.

47b6d835b3127cce985489673a0a00000017108EcNGzVw4cS

Red Cone is off to the right of the image, from the Michigan Creek (south, US285) side.

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Wow, looks to be quite a bit more snowpack there still then there is in the Summit County area. The snow has been melting really fast. We've been working our asses of with snow cats and salt trying to save the snow on top of Copper so we can get our camp done.

Denver area people, watch Channel 6 News tonight.:) We had some media up on the mountain with us today. One more day of skiing tomorrow then its time to act like the weather wants us to.:jumping:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Great posts from you guys ;) Those red cone pics and story are awesome.

Some recent hiking reports from Elbert indicate it is doable w/o snowshoes.

I am still ironing out my plan, but it looks like I may drive to Mesa Verde on Wed (get there very late), do MVNP on Thurs. morning, and then head to Ouray for the afternoon. Maybe camp in Yankee Boy basin Thurs. night. Get up at the buttcrack o' dawn on Friday and head towards Leadville. I may try to have lunch with my bro' before meeting up with the gang. Awaiting further details on meeting time/place. Durango_60, do you want to hook up on Thurs. evening for a camp near Ouray?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Things aren't looking good for my jeep right now. Something is wrong with the transfer case output shaft....it appears to be bent....and I'm not happy about it.

:mad:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
goodtimes said:
Things aren't looking good for my jeep right now. Something is wrong with the transfer case output shaft....it appears to be bent....and I'm not happy about it.

:mad:

:eek: NO WAY! :(

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Ok, I feel a *little* better, but still not very happy. While the output shaft is OK, the aluminum adaptor for my rear CV driveshaft was not machined correctly. The pilot for the adaptor (which is machined into the t'case companion flange), has .001" runout, while the pilot for the driveshaft (which is machined into the adaptor) has .008" runout....sort of. The adaptor appears to have .007" runout, and when it was mounted on the companion flange, the .001" there, combined with the .007 on the adaptor works out to .008, which is what I measured.

Via 3rd party e-mail with Tom Woods (while I was at work today), .008" runout on the adaptor is way outside of thier tolerances. Unfortunately.....they are closed until Monday, and I have no way to make a new adaptor, since the lathe and Mill are sitting in the shop with no power run to them yet.

So, my only hope was to index the adaptor in relation to the companion flange in such a manner that the .001 on the flange was in the opposite direction of the .007" in the adaptor....giving me a net .006" runout. I have managed to accomplish this, and verified I have .006" runout on the pilot. Now to road test...cross your fingers. If this doesn't work, it will be Monday before I can get the right part, which means a Tuesday delivery.

:eek:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
goodtimes said:
Via 3rd party e-mail with Tom Woods (while I was at work today), .008" runout on the adaptor is way outside of thier tolerances....

So, my only hope was to index the adaptor in relation to the companion flange in such a manner that the .001 on the flange was in the opposite direction of the .007" in the adaptor....giving me a net .006" runout. I have managed to accomplish this, and verified I have .006" runout on the pilot.

Damn, your good. ;) My fingers are crossed - good luck! The road is calling you...

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
BajaTaco said:
My fingers are crossed - good luck! The road is calling you...

The road may be calling, but the jeep isn't answering. Had to take a break for some food.....it's been a long week, and I have one more idea to try before I give up getting the jeep on the road in time for this trip. Keep those fingers crossed.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
That sux GT. I'm really sorry to hear that :smilies27 So are you going to drive the big rig? Still going to make the trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94