Leaf Springs

bluebear

Observer
I'm also in the same boat. I ordered 2200lbs springs, and just took it to a scale that put the trailer axle at 500kgs loaded with all our gear, except water and cooler wasn't full. I've been playing with tire pressures, but I can't find a compromise between bouncing and riding very rough.

If you are removing leafs, which is the best and safest to start with? I think Ill also be adding shocks when I have more time.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

kzam

Observer
My trailer is 1550 lbs. loaded (just weighed it today) and my axles and springs are rated to 3500#. I'm also running trailer tires that are supposed to be inflated to 65 psi.

I was originally thinking I would need to take out a leaf or two but the trailer currently pulls very smooth with no bouncing so I'll probably just leave it alone.

wandererr

Adventurer
My trailer is 1550 lbs. loaded (just weighed it today) and my axles and springs are rated to 3500#. I'm also running trailer tires that are supposed to be inflated to 65 psi.

I was originally thinking I would need to take out a leaf or two but the trailer currently pulls very smooth with no bouncing so I'll probably just leave it alone.

you're lucky but keep an eye on it.... I did 1 trip to Yosemite with no issues, another trip to Joshua Tree with no issues and then went back again to Yosemite and it was bouncing like crazy!

rnArmy

Adventurer
Springs are designed to flex. But if you're running too stiff a spring, they won't do you any good (no flex). You need to base your springs on your sprung weight. Your springs don't support your axle or tires/rims - that's your unsprung weight. And a 3500lb axle with electric brake drums can get pretty heavy (that's what I'm running on my trailer). But the springs are not supporting that weight - the springs are supporting the weight from the frame up.

Would you take the springs off a 1-ton truck and put them on a light-weight half-ton truck? No - it would ride like crap - no flex. Would you take the springs off a light-duty half-ton truck and put them on a 1-ton truck? no - it wouldn't be able to support the load. Springs are designed for a particular weight range.

If your trailer fully loaded only weighs 1500lbs, subtract a couple hundred for the weight of the axle and rims/tires - what's left is the weight your springs are trying to support. Then get some springs designed for that weight.

Check this site out: http://www.stengelbros.com/trailer-suspension-parts/trailer-leaf-springs/

They've got some 27" springs rated at 1000lbs each (2000lbs per pair; way better than 3500lbs/pair).

http://www.stengelbros.net/US-1016-...-Length-1000-lb-rating-per-spring_p_1692.html

Your trailer will thank you.

stomperxj

Explorer
Shocks are often overlooked and should be on every off road trailer in my opinion. The Gabriel 81676 is a great shock for trailers.

Removing leaves from a pack is common practice to "lighten" the spring.

rnArmy

Adventurer
These are also a nice shock for a little trailer:

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-55500...r/dp/B000JWM9EE?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

Boot Included: Yes
•Compressed Length (In): 8.625 Inch
•Extended Length (In): 12.750 Inch
•Lower Mount Sleeve Inside Diameter (In): 5/8 Inch
•Lower Mount Type: Loop
•Stroke (In): 4.125 Inch
•Upper Mount Sleeve Inside Diameter (In): 5/8 Inch
•Upper Mount Type: Loop
They're designed for little trailers - roughly 12" fully expanded; 8" collapsed (so 4" travel).

Last edited:

wandererr

Adventurer
that's a nice spring!!!!! I wish I knew of it when I built the trailer! Might have to order it.... what sucks is that shipping for both is more expensive then one spring :(

wandererr

Adventurer
Shocks are often overlooked and should be on every off road trailer in my opinion. The Gabriel 81676 is a great shock for trailers.

Removing leaves from a pack is common practice to "lighten" the spring.

I'll probably experiment with that first... I'm afraid though that the trailer will "sit" lower which will then be problematic with the tires I used - I went for max of the max :D

The joy of building something new ;)

bluebear

Observer
Do you guys think its better to add more air pressure to make the springs take more of the impact to prevent bouncing? What's worse for the frame and load, stiff ride or a bit of bounce?

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

brian90744

American Trekker
Too much air.

For the weight of your trailer/load you should be @ 32# per wheel or less. Too much air cause bounce like a ball. just FYI=brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles