Leaky rain jacket

Well after the nearly 16" of rain we've gotten here in eastern NC over the past 3 days I've found out my rain jacket needs an overhaul. I have a patagonia shadow from 2007 that has started to let water soak into the nylon. No water leaks through the seams or anything but the thiner panels are getting waterlogged pretty quick. Does anyone have any experience with products to renew the watershedding ability of nylon. I know the local REI has some things but is there a certain brand that seems to work better?

I found this, which would be good because I could also recoat my tent. any thoughts?
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___98891

refried

Adventurer
I've always had good luck with Nikwax products.
Try tossing it in the dryer first, it renews the DWR finish and makes it shed water much better.

kai38

Explorer
Call Patagonia, not sure if they still have lifetime warranty on their gear but Ive sent back 10yr old jackets for replacement.
They make good stuff.

Funny you mention the dryer as I always have avoided putting any rain gear in the dryer thinking it would completely take away the coating. I might give it a shot but I think I will give patagonia a call, never even considered it.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
tidbit from the Trading Post.
Waterproof Garment Care
To get the most out of your waterproof outerwear, you must keep it clean. The following is basic information on cleaning procedures. Always read any garment's care label before laundering.

Machine Washing
Most waterproof outerwear can be machine washed and dried. Use powdered detergent and cold or warm water to launder these garments, then tumble dry them on low heat.

Water-Repellent Coatings
Unfortunately, you can't fix a waterproof membrane if your jacket starts to leak after several years. However, the durable water repellent (DWR) finishes on all waterproof gear will fail long before the membrane wears out. You will notice the deterioration of the DWR coating when your garment appears to be absorbing moisture rather than repelling it.

The good news is that you can renew the DWR finish by laundering your waterproof outerwear according to the garment's care instructions and ironing it on a low steam setting. This will revitalize the DWR coating as long as the original water-repellent treatment is still present. Avoid using harsh detergents and fabric softeners in the care of garments with a DWR finish, because they can reduce its effectiveness. There are spray-on or wash-in products on the market that restore a DWR finish and will once again allow moisture to bead on a fabric's surface. This process can be repeated as often as needed.

blazinid

Adventurer
Avoid who ever made the US teams rain gear at the Ryder Cup. They ended up having to buy new gear from vendors on site!

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting some nikwax (the spray on type) and have not had any problems yet but we havent had a good rain yet, just a little sprinkle. I never tried the dryer because patagonia said not to and I havent read anything that says it would help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94