Leaving your baby behind.........

atavuss

Adventurer
Willman, what size tires do you have on your Bantam? I am running 7.00x16 NDT military type tires and I have about 11" ground clearance at the lowest point. If I leave my trailer at the campsite I use a thick Brinks brand cable and lock to secure it to a large tree.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Just the lack of any sort of coupling on the tongue is going to make things pretty difficult unless they've scouted out your operation.

From there it's a matter of how much you want to trouble with vs. how much of a hinderence you've created.

erin

Explorer
Those trailer boots work pretty good, we use them for our towable mixers when leaving them on jobsites, plus we always pull the tongues. Mixers in Tucson love to live in Mexico for some reason, we're still trying to get 2 of ours to come home.:(

alia176

Explorer
erin said:
Those trailer boots work pretty good, we use them for our towable mixers when leaving them on jobsites, plus we always pull the tongues. Mixers in Tucson love to live in Mexico for some reason, we're still trying to get 2 of ours to come home.:(

Just curious, can the "booted" wheel be removed and replaced with a spare?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Usually the "boot" covers the lug nuts/bolts to prevent that very thing from happening.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
My personnel favorite

I drop my trailer alot at my base camp and thru trails in which I have changed my mind about pulling my trailer further.
1.)I leave the receiver on the ball with both locked in-place. Tuff to cut either of these two off with anything people usually haul with them on the trail. usually hammer proof.
2.)I use a 1/2" cable that I run through a wheel and around the springs that secure it from rolling away. I do this at camp too just to stop people temptations/urges from growing too large to resist.
3.)I make a GPS waypoint on my Jeeps GPS unit so I can come back and find the darn thing after I have dropped it off!

**recognize this only stops the honest guy. A theif will get it anyway.
***good insurance policy to replace it with today's market value.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Rarely do I un-hitch the trailer, unless I do so because we had planned to basecamp... I wouldn't plan to the trip around the trailer. Mine is setup to go anywhere the Cruiser will... though tight trails can be a PITA at times.

When I do leave the trailer at camp, I have a couple of cable locks. I usually try and park it next to a tree or picnic table, etc. Cable the two together and not worry. You can't open the top of my rig without opening the spare tire, and the spare tire is locked, while a determined individual could break in... it will stop the snatch and grab.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
With my Horizon AT (don't know about the Chasers) the multi-axis hitch simply pulls out....leaving an open receiver in its place. Unless some would-be thief had the appropriate hitch it would seem to be pretty hard to take...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online