LED flashlights that use regular batteries or rechargeable? (early 2017 edition)

zuren

Adventurer
I asked them about that back in the mid 80's. They told me the trick. You pop out the rubber cover over the switch and there is an allen screw that holds the works at the head end from falling out.

Then yea, drive the bad batteries out of the tube.

This is true of the older MagLites, but "newer" MagLites (at least with my circa 2010 LED D cell) appears to use a T-8 torx screw to hold the switch assembly in place. And the torx driver needs to remain the same diameter as the bit end; some flare out for added strength but this flare will not let you insert the tool to get at the set screw.

So if you can get the set screw to release, driving out the batteries from the front might work but you may damage the switch assembly in the process.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
A A or AAA wherever possible for me

I remember the days when you had to carry a 6v spotlight to get any lasting illumination when out in the woods. Then they made some waterproof (but not go IP8 standards). Otherwise you could choose Ray-o-vac plastic C or D cell lights at the hardware store. I preferred my angled BSA flashlight to those. This does seem to be the best time for flashlights now, since you can get as much lighting from a single AAA cell as a new-fangled halogen bulb of just a few years ago. I thought LEDs were the final word, until the Crew stuff came out; now I'm replacing everything with Cree when I can. AAA and AA only, because I can find them everywhere (unlike even C,D, and 9v batteries - and I haven't seen a spring-top 6v battery in years-). Most recently, I've gotten some really nice Husky lights from Home Depot, that I stash everywhere, and I bought 90 lumen Olight i3 EOS AAA lights for my wife and I to use as keychain EDC lights (unfortunately, both unscrewed and the heads fell off, but I found hers and it still works). I replaced mine with a Thrunite T10, with 252 lumens from a AA cell. I love these little, but powerful modern lights!

Last edited:

colierar

Observer
18650 is the newest and greatest tech, the batteries will hold a charge for a very long time and wont leak on you as long as don't buy cheap ones. This is a great light to keep in your car.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SRDTBF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It will charge with a micro usb.
I am kind of a Nitecore fanboy because I have a lot of their stuff and its great quality. If you buy extra batteries and a good charger the 18650 platform is great to build on. I have more 18650 flashlights than I care to admit.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
It depends on exactly how you plan to use the flashlight. Consider the spill and throw---how far do you need to see, and over what area? Beam pattern can make a difference also.

Personally I wouldn't spend more than about $15 on a flashlight these days----there are so many good AA and AAA ones available, with ever-increasing lumens and throw and lower prices each year. For camping, $15 will get you a 200-lumen light that can see animals 400 feet away, which is enough for me. I guess maybe security guards and such might appreciate 1000 lumens, but I can't think of a personal use for that much power. Unless you're camped on the savannah and want to see prey animals.

The Candle Power forum is a fun place to visit---very knowledgeable, flashlight-obsessed people there.

I can't even recommend a specific flashlight because there are so many good, cheap ones just about everywhere.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I had a 2D LED MagLite in my van but I just discovered that 1 or more of the batteries leaked and they are now fused in. I did some Googling and this is not a unique problem; I found some ideas (as well as possibly being able to do a warranty return) but that does nothing to change my opinion that the flashlight is large, heavy, and didn't put out much light. Even if MagLite or the battery company warranties the damage, I won't replace it with the same model. I have a MagLite XL200 that uses 3-AAA batteries, fits in my pocket, and is brighter.

Since buying that big MagLite, we have had the LED/tactical light EXPLOSION! Lights from $10 to $100s. I'm a bit overwhelmed so I'm trying to narrow my options. Here is what I do know:

- will live 100% of its life in the vehicle
- needs to run on "normal" size batteries or can be recharged from a 12V source; I'm not dealing with special, harder-to-find batteries like CR123
- will be used for camping, hunting, fishing, and road emergencies
- ability to mount it in the vehicle would be nice but not critical
- budget is $50 or less, it could stretch a little if it gets me something significantly better

There is another forum of flashlight enthusiasts but was hoping to get some recommendations here. The ThruNite TN4A looks interesting, along with Fenix. What brands/models has everyone had good luck with?

Thanks!

I've had the ThruNite TN4A and loved it for the surprising amount of output using Eneloop Pro rechargeable AAs. Chose it over the similar NiteCore EA41. Liked the one-button operation and also the feel of said recessed metallic button. Also bought one for my sister and later gave her mine when hers was stolen... along with her truck. I still highly recommend the light for camping and general use. The absolute lowest 'Firefly' setting works better in complete darkness than you might think, is great for a hanging tent light or for reading just before bed. The wide can shape also makes it very stable standing on end. A great light, I have to say.

After I gave mine away I started looking for another 4xAA LED light and NiteCore had just debuted the EA45S so I bought one just to have something different. Form factor with the batteries stacked 2-by-2 is a lot more pocket-friendly and it throws light an amazing distance for 4xAAs. But it is not as great a 'camping' light as the TN4A to me because the lowest setting is still pretty bright up close, it doesn't really stand on end, and it's probably $20 more expensive than the TN4A on Amazon. The two rubber-coated buttons don't feel as nice as ThruNite's buttons but there are extra SOS/Beacon modes you can access. Still, it works great and throws a ton of light really far for using AAs. There are colored lenses for saving your night vision and there's a traffic wand available, too.
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/ea45s
EA45S_EN_08.super.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Hey all,

Did anyone else get a PM as a result of this thread? I did. A new member with zero posts sent me a PM asking if I would like to review their product, and the PM included a link to a $40 flashlight on Amazon.

Now, there are companies who will send you a free product if you agree to review it, and there a folks on Youtube who make a decent chunk of change doing reviews. But I'm not one of them, so it seemed a bit fishy to me.

Anyway, I replied that sure, be happy to. Naturally, I got no reply which pretty much confirmed it was some clickbait sales pitch troll, but I figured I'd give it some time before bringing it up here and then reporting it to the mods.

Anyone else?

landsharkman

Adventurer
I have a bunch of flashlight, most all of mine are now running 18650 batteries, there at least 4 big flash 18650 flashlights and a couple of smaller cr123 battery ones are always is in the truck

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
RE: stuck batteries. I just fixed a Mag light for a coworker with the same problem. The trick is to get a heat gun and heat the outside barrel where the stuck battery is. Just get it hot enough to get the aluminum to expand, then you can tap the battery out with a firm whack. You can get the switch out the front after you remove the setscrew under the button, but there's a retaining ring in the barrel that you have to remove first. Cleanup with Vinegar, lemon juice, or some other mild acid work great. Just fill the barrel and let it sit overnight.

I wouldn't use any alkaline batteries for something kept in a car. Unless you're constantly replacing the batteries, they're going to leak. For emergency car lights that a I'm not using that often, I still use CR123 lights. Had some sitting in a glove compartment for about 8 years now that still work, it's not even LED so that tells you how old it is. For everything else, I'd carry a 18650 based headlamp. A headlamp is going to be infinitely more useful than a flashlight for most tasks, and most are small enough to fit in a glove compartment or side pocket without having to mount it. There are some cheap knockoffs on eBay, but if you're willing to spend a little more ($60-$100) anything from Spark, Fenix, or zebra light is pretty decent.

Some lights can use 18650 or 2x123 so you can have the best of both worlds, use the rechargeable for daily tasks and keep a backup set of lithiums in the car or emergencies. There are universal chargers that can plug into a cigarette lighter, but you can also carry a spare 18650 battery and they seem to hold their charge for a long time.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hey all,

Did anyone else get a PM as a result of this thread? I did. A new member with zero posts sent me a PM asking if I would like to review their product, and the PM included a link to a $40 flashlight on Amazon.

Now, there are companies who will send you a free product if you agree to review it, and there a folks on Youtube who make a decent chunk of change doing reviews. But I'm not one of them, so it seemed a bit fishy to me.

Anyway, I replied that sure, be happy to. Naturally, I got no reply which pretty much confirmed it was some clickbait sales pitch troll, but I figured I'd give it some time before bringing it up here and then reporting it to the mods.

Anyone else?
No.
And I'm hurt since I work in test & measurement and am known for testing LED lights...

Anak

Stranger
I have found that those cheap plastic 2D flashlights have enough extra room in them such that I can put the batteries in a ziploc sandwich bag and still fit that into the body of the flashlight. Swap out the incan bulb for an LED replacement and it actually makes a halfway decent light.

For all my AA lights I have switched to Eneloop batteries. I have been running those for about 5 years and have had no leakage problems. Knock on wood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94