LED Headlight Recommendation

Explorerinil

Observer
That hasnt been my experience with LED lights in northern Alberta. They do just fine handling the snow and ice.
I agree, I haven’t had a problem with led headlights and snow. My f150 work truck sits outside and the halogen bulbs don’t melt the ice and snow. My wife just got a Tahoe, I swapped the fogs from halogens to led and she hasn’t had a problem with ice and snow.

Got mine from www.superbrightleds.com

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For off road lighting, or old sealed beams, the difference is there for winter driving.

For today's OEM "aero" headlights, not so much. There is so much volume inside the headlight assembly that I dont think the difference in heat the bulb may give off makes any worthwhile difference.

Explorerinil

Observer
After hating other peoples' cheap LED rubbish glare factories, and buying an expensive full-housing (multi lens) LED for my motorcycle I'm still absolutely convinced that halogens produce superior driving illumination. LEDs are very good exterior signaling lamps and the battery life on handheld or head mounted lamps is undeniable but forward illumination I'm back to quality halogens or HID exclusively.
On my old Harley I ran their daymaker head light, that was an led with projectors, best motorcycle headlight I ever had.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Really depends upon what you need.

For simple range, LED has caught up to halogen (and then some), but it still seems to lag behind HID.

But not by much. And watt per output, LED is king.

I really wasnt expecting much when I swapped my H13 halogens out for H13 LEDs for headlights.
Not too long ago, it was little more than a fad that produced even less output :ROFLMAO:
But LED has caught up, and then some. And it seems it is much more based upon design than tech.
The light output is fantastic and pattern is spot on.

Looking that the TechMax LED bulbs next to the Halogens they replaced, the diodes are located exactly where the filaments are on the halogen.
This seems to be the trick, in order to produce an LED bulb that not only provides good light, but uses the reflector as designed.

Most still do not work for projectors though.... FYI

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That's not the point.

The point is that LED is still being developed, and it is efficient enough that it has a boatload of room for improvement, without taxing the existing wiring on a vehicle, or damaging fixtures/lenses.

Not the case when doubling, tripling, or more the output using halogen.

I've run speed demon and go performance and both worked amazing! They have the LEDs designed to mimic halogen bulb placement too. Even have ones for projector lenses. Speeddemon makes a wicked led sealed beam conversion too.

Betarocker

Adventurer
I agree, I haven’t had a problem with led headlights and snow. My f150 work truck sits outside and the halogen bulbs don’t melt the ice and snow. My wife just got a Tahoe, I swapped the fogs from halogens to led and she hasn’t had a problem with ice and snow.

Got mine from www.superbrightleds.com

I speak from experience. I have HIDs for headlamps and LEDs in the fogs and markers. My LEDs will ice over and the heads stay clear. Snow in the mountains of southern BC is usually just below freezing, so tends to be stickier than interior or northern snow.

J!m

Anyone know of an HID replacement for standard round headlights? I have either IPF or Hella H4’s with higher output bulbs (don’t remember wattage- maybe 100w high beam) and I’d like to have HIDs, but don’t know of a drop in of either an H4 replacement or complete retrofit of entire assembly. Similar (or more) lumen output desired.

subyrally

I went with the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LED bulbs in my WRX. I still need to get the lights aimed properly, but in the week or so, that I got to use them (blew a clutch hose in the wrx the other week :( ) the light output is very nice and they have the proper cutoff when used in the stock headlight housings. my issue with needing them aimed is due to the body shop not getting them aimed when I got new lights put in after hitting a deer last year. my lights had been lack luster since and I thought it was because they put standard halogen bulbs into the new lights in place of my high output halogen bulbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior