Lets hear your choices for batteries for a dual battery set up

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I am going to be putting the Genesis Dual Battery set up in my Jeep and was wondering what AGM Type 34 batteries you are all using. I would like to keep my costs as low as I can of course, but I also want to get two quality batteries. The system says that it will accept any type 34 batteries. I have heard some great things about a battery made by Sears.....I have heard some good and bad about Optima. Please feel free to give what you use and your two cents on them...thanks on advance for your input and wisdom.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Optima would be my choice with no budget restrictions. They're made with the fewest welded parts so they can take vibration the best, they have very low internal resistance so they recharge the fastest, and the Yellowtops have a very good warranty.

If I were on a tight budget, I'd go to Costco.

The Enersys product you're referring to from Sears is no longer available. You'd have to go to Odyssey and those batteries are finicky when it comes to maintenance. I really feel they're the wrong application for Jeeps.

KellyM

Adventurer
I have a couple of Deka Intimidator AGM batteries in my JKU. 55aH. I think they were around $150 each about a year ago. So far so good.

toymaster

Explorer
http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_batteries.aspx

The top of the line sears was the go to battery for a while after so many reports of Optima failures. The Hill-dweller is correct, Odyssey made the re-branded sears battery, his suggestion of being 'finicky' is the first interweb report I have heard of that.

I did a little research last month on which battery I would buy given the current offerings. My personal choice was the odyssey extreme. The first thing I would look at is the warranty and ease of exchange. Of course, the longer full replacement warranty the better but what hassle is the return?

2drx4

Adventurer
AGMs in general seem to enjoy a slightly higher charging voltage, which causes some headache depending on your charging system.

Having bought two Optimas, and had both of them fail in short order, I would never run one again. They WERE a good battery, prior to about 2007? Then they outsourced, and became very silly regarding warranty (Oh, you didn't charge it with one of the 3 approved chargers? Sorry, no warranty). The entire debacle with Optima Jim on Pirate removed any chance that I would ever consider buying one again, even if they have improved their manufacturing standards to be back to what they were.

I run a different rebranded version of the Odyssey AGM battery. The only issue was I had one that was DOA for whatever reason, otherwise they're holding up fine in my Jeeps and plow truck. The plow truck will sit for 6+ months before being started, and the plow is run off a winch, so it's an extremely abusive environment. I've generally not heard much bad about the Odyssey AGMs, other than user induced issues (like I said, charge voltage).

Weeds

Adventurer
Check out EXIDE. I have gotten good life out of the one in my JKU, 6 years old.

Exide is made in the USA.

rubicon91

Explorer
I have the genesis dual battery tray and I put in 2 yellow top optimas. I got a great deal on the yellow tops so I could not pass that up at all. I have had this setup for about a year now and have had zero issues. I have an ARB 50qt I use with them. Now if money was not an option or if I did not get a steal on the optimas new I was going to go with the Odyssey brand. However I couldn't justify the price jump.

OptimaJim

Observer
It's always interesting to read up on theories surrounding the Optima battery brand and others, although the logic used to reach conclusions often ends up having flaws. I would definitely agree with toymaster regarding taking a good look at a warranty before purchasing a battery. You can read our consumer warranty here.

The length of a free replacement warranty and ease of warranty service are definitely important considerations and not all warranties are the same. Be sure to read the fine print, because if some batteries aren't used exclusively in starting applications, the warranty term can be significantly less than what someone might think it is.

2drx4, Optima still manufactures all of their own batteries in their own production facility and they are the only batteries produced there. Optima never re-brands or re-specs their batteries for specific retailers, nor does it outsource production to third-party manufacturers. I think you are confusing warranty restrictions regarding chargers, as Optima does not have such restrictions in their warranty coverage, but other brands do.

Read deep enough into some of those threads on Pirate4x4 and you will find folks having issues with every battery mentioned in this thread, employees of other battery brands getting caught attempting to anonymously promote their own products and theories that Sears stopped carrying Optima and started carrying another brand because of quality-related issues. If that were the case (and it wasn't at all), why does Sears no longer sell that brand, but once again sells Optima?

Batteries are not cheap investments, so it makes sense to take care of them, including maintaining voltage when not in use. If you don't do that, you're likely to run into trouble, regardless of what brand or manufacturer you choose.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior