Lets see some full size pictures...

TCICapn

Thanks! Bumper is DV8 Baja Series. Skid plates are the 3 piece GM OEM kit. Two piece aluminum covers front diff, oil pan. Then a small steel skid for transfer case.

Definitely could use much better underbody protection on newer GM trucks....

I am considering this but price is hard to justify:
http://www.bajakits.com/i-26499145-...luminum-skid-plates.html?ref=category:1336572
DV8 has some nice looking options and the Baja fits your truck nicely. I'll have to keep them in mind for the future.

Yikes no kidding, those are by far the most expensive skids I've seen.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
It’s a bit crude for now, but I finished building a removable kayak carrier for my tent rack. It was a last minute build the night before last so we could take out kayaks north with us tomorrow when we head north for a few weeks. Hope to get a few minutes to at least get a coat of primer on it this evening.

1sheltie

7zvRwLE.jpg
B9yOe7E.jpg
lwv3QYd.jpg
Nice Truck

JSwanson

Observer
My gf and I just bought this 03 z71 burb. Tinted the front windows and blacked out the wheels. Future plans are lift keys and rear spacers and 285 70 falkens at3s. Its a very well maintained truck and our new road trip vehicle.

Attachments

• Resized_20180620_062035.jpeg
    Resized_20180620_062035.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Resized_20180620_192638.jpeg
    Resized_20180620_192638.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 109

bestcoast

How do you like the manual transmission? I am debating myself on the manual trans and curious how the power feels since they de-rate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest it isn’t great. The power is fine but the clutch and flywheel setup they use in these trucks suck. I like driving a manual and it’s not the end of the world. Drive one and get a feel for it. I put a little over 19k miles on my truck in the year I’ve had it and if I had to do it again I’d get the auto. It’s going to take changing the flywheel and clutch to get rid of some of the issues having a dual mass flywheel causes.

Then there’s the issue of tranny fluid. Per ram they spec an ATF for the g56 ( the manual trans in the Rams). Per Mercedes, who makes the g56, they spec gear oil. I’m not sure if it’s going to cause long term issues or not but it makes an already loud trans louder. The g56 has an aluminum housing which sort of echos the sound of the gear rollover. A common band-aid for this is using gear oil instead of atf however you start playing the warranty game if you do that.

Is it bad enough that I’d sell the truck to get an auto? Maybe. The novelty has for sure worn off.

Betarocker

Adventurer
My boss went from a 2003 manual Ram 2500 to a 2016 same model. He hates the new one, to the point where it has become a company vehicle of a sister company to the one I work for, so others have to drive it. He doesn't like the power delivery and the way shifting feels. Also, they de-rated the power of the manual to keep the guts inside the transmission as the G56 is only rated to 600ft-lbs. The auto version is closing in to 900ft-lbs.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
View attachment 455913
"Hank the Tank" 1999 Chevy Tahoe with 110k. Pretty much stock. Small interior upgrades here and there. Looking to get new tires, shocks, lights and a roof rack to start. Gotta make small upgrades as we have the finances.
My wife and I almost bought a Tahoe just like that in '99. The seats and driving position were ideal. Regret not buying one.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
To be honest it isn’t great. The power is fine but the clutch and flywheel setup they use in these trucks suck. I like driving a manual and it’s not the end of the world. Drive one and get a feel for it. I put a little over 19k miles on my truck in the year I’ve had it and if I had to do it again I’d get the auto. It’s going to take changing the flywheel and clutch to get rid of some of the issues having a dual mass flywheel causes.

Then there’s the issue of tranny fluid. Per ram they spec an ATF for the g56 ( the manual trans in the Rams). Per Mercedes, who makes the g56, they spec gear oil. I’m not sure if it’s going to cause long term issues or not but it makes an already loud trans louder. The g56 has an aluminum housing which sort of echos the sound of the gear rollover. A common band-aid for this is using gear oil instead of atf however you start playing the warranty game if you do that.

Is it bad enough that I’d sell the truck to get an auto? Maybe. The novelty has for sure worn off.
I like rowing my gears and zero power delivery my year especially with EFI. Gear rollover teaches you to not lug the trans for sure. Amsoil 75-90 MTG works great for ease of shifting with the desirable property of quieting the trans. Warranty issues would be certain with it though.
If I got a new one I'd be a 3500 with the Aisin. All these diesels are way too expensive and complex. Lots of profit for the dealers and manufacturers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke