Lets see some full size pictures...

Scott39

Adventurer
2007 Power Wagon
pw-5.jpg
Nice Dodge, I love seeing those fullsize Dodges being wheeled, I wheel my 95' Cummins as much as I can.:sombrero:

It is definitely an adventure squeezing that thing down the Jeep trails. I can make short work of a lot of stuff that gives the short wheelbase crowd a challenge and then a little TJ will show me up around the next corner. Key word being corner!!!
little-moab-5.jpg
[/IMG]

little-moab-7.jpg
[/IMG]

pw-4.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0512.jpg
[/IMG]

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Nothing wrong with a big trailer! We are in the process of selling our small offroad trailer and buying a 33' Caliber. It will be our full time "base-camp". I will love having it at surf spots and other non-out-of-the-way spots. We can then head off road with truck and cap as needed/wanted. And no mortgage payment!!!!:sombrero:

You my friend have it figured out!! Forget saving up till you can afford the perfect Global Expedition Rig, just buy one off the lot and go have fun!!!:victory:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yup! We are unfortunately in the same state as you now... Travelled for the past year and a bit, but now low on cash and having to work to top up again! Living full time in the trailer will let us save +/- $2000 a month just on housing, so we can go again sooner!:sombrero:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thats a GREAT looking Powerwagon.

I was having daydreams the other day about finding a regular cab longbox manual transmission used Powerwagon and swapping in a P-pump 4bt Cummins with a G56 6-speed :) The 4bt should be able to sit nice and far back in the chassis, basically with the bellhousing at the same position as the 6cyl. This would make the front of the motor MUCH farther back away from the core support. This should allow you to keep the factory Powerwagon winch, CS, Radiator, etc. You would have to make up some custom hoses, but it would be connect the dots. Then throw on the full meal deal Carli Suspension system ( or whatever flavor ) and some 37x12.5x17" tires with the stock wheels or something really close. I think hutchinson has a forged hummer wheel that is suppose to be REALLY close to the specs of the stock 3rd gen wheels. I think that the 4.56 factory gears would be a little too deep for the Cummins/37s combo with the manual, but swapping in some 3.73s or 4.10s isn't impossible. The p-pump 4bt Cummins can make all the power you need. I think 400hp isn't out of the question. The hardest part would be figuring out a way to get the factory gauges to work. The best solution may be to use a truck with minimal electronics and just build a new in dash gauge cluster using independent gauges. The other interesting part would be trying to figure out how to run an intercooler for the 4bt. It would most likely have to be ahead of the factory cooling package with some interesting connecting pipes.....

So what you would end up with would be a dream rig! A slightly smaller diesel engine that could get 25-30mpg perhaps. 6-speed HD manual transmission. 4.56 gears front and back with factory electric locking differentials. Minimal lift and the ability to run a 37" tire in the factory wheel wells. The factory electronic disconnect sway bar for twisty stuff. A factory built and installed 12K winch with a nice hidden mount that doesn't affect approach angle!

MMMMMMMMmmmmmm.

If anyone builds this idea before I do they have to give me a ride!

4WheelToys

Did you build that or is it a premade unit? If premade, that's a huge improvement over the old style "carpet kits" I've used in the past. I like it! Have any information on it? Cost?

It is made by a local company in Salt Lake. They don't have a web site and the only # I have for them has been disconnected... I do plan on reverse engineering it when I get home (I am in Afghanistan) and making a few variations.

I don't know how much it cost, it came with the truck! I have never seen any that are as nice as this and I am surprised that they aren't more popular. I hate home made plywood storage boxes and other hillbilly looking wood creations. I think they are tacky and ugly, but the quality of this system is outstanding and I love it. The carpet on this unit is tough as nails but still soft enough to sleep on. There is ample padding too. Plus, there are 4 recessed, plastic cup holders for lounging with your favorite canned beverage!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

I was having daydreams the other day about finding a regular cab longbox manual transmission used Powerwagon and swapping in a P-pump 4bt Cummins with a G56 6-speed :) The 4bt should be able to sit nice and far back in the chassis, basically with the bellhousing at the same position as the 6cyl. This would make the front of the motor MUCH farther back away from the core support. This should allow you to keep the factory Powerwagon winch, CS, Radiator, etc. You would have to make up some custom hoses, but it would be connect the dots. Then throw on the full meal deal Carli Suspension system ( or whatever flavor ) and some 37x12.5x17" tires with the stock wheels or something really close. I think hutchinson has a forged hummer wheel that is suppose to be REALLY close to the specs of the stock 3rd gen wheels. I think that the 4.56 factory gears would be a little too deep for the Cummins/37s combo with the manual, but swapping in some 3.73s or 4.10s isn't impossible. The p-pump 4bt Cummins can make all the power you need. I think 400hp isn't out of the question. The hardest part would be figuring out a way to get the factory gauges to work. The best solution may be to use a truck with minimal electronics and just build a new in dash gauge cluster using independent gauges. The other interesting part would be trying to figure out how to run an intercooler for the 4bt. It would most likely have to be ahead of the factory cooling package with some interesting connecting pipes.....

So what you would end up with would be a dream rig! A slightly smaller diesel engine that could get 25-30mpg perhaps. 6-speed HD manual transmission. 4.56 gears front and back with factory electric locking differentials. Minimal lift and the ability to run a 37" tire in the factory wheel wells. The factory electronic disconnect sway bar for twisty stuff. A factory built and installed 12K winch with a nice hidden mount that doesn't affect approach angle!

MMMMMMMMmmmmmm.

As soon as I win the lotto, I'll get you to build it for me!

lstzephyr

wanderer

I was having daydreams the other day about finding a regular cab longbox manual transmission used Powerwagon and swapping in a P-pump 4bt Cummins with a G56 6-speed :)
MMMMMMMMmmmmmm.

lol my daydream is real close to that but keeping my 12v and swapping it into a wrecked 3rd gen chassis. Kore/carli/thuren suspension, 6sp, 203/205 doubler and as much suspension travel as possible. Then slap on an old body from a rust free something cool. Like a 60s power wagon, or a 70s ford. Then I would have modern long travel suspension, a mechanical engine, 6sp, low low crawl, 37+ tires, no plastic in the interior, metal dash and simple door panels, style, and it wouldn't be too costly or crazy. throw a winch on somewhere, softcap, and an exoskeleton and shouldn't ever need another truck!

And a current picture of my hoopties so I'm not just yakking.

IMGP3789.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think your 1st gen dodge could be built to do about anything! I think the major weakness of the 1st gen dodge is the lack of a boxed/rigid frame. My cab corners can vouch for this!

There is an old 50s truck ( I think ford?) sitting on a 2nd/3rd gen dodge frame with the diesel around here. Next time I see it I will try and grab a pic.If your going to swap all that stuff around. I would just start with a 94-98 p-pump 2nd gen. You can still use the carli suspension stuff, boxed frame, nv4500, etc....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Get outta my head Istezephyr! I bought a rust free 69 F100 with plans to put it on a 12v chassis...

Attachments

• IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    564 KB · Views: 75

lstzephyr

wanderer
Metcalf: It has occured to me to just box my frame and make some mounts for linked suspension. I do like the first gen cab and if I had a shop I would, but for now I just have space to screw around with the bike.

Redthies: be sure to post lots of pictures, I want to see how you get on with that. I've read a few threads of guys swapping chassis's around with 60s dodges and it was surprisingly simple.

GtAburnout: ha, drop by my place(right across from those pictures) and drive my truck. My truck literally has no front suspension travel it will make yours feel like a caddy.

I use that area to get to school most days. Its pretty fun. Nice pictures too.

IMGP3108.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles