Lets talk security

Chorky

Observer
Thanks for the thoughts, keep them coming. I suppose I should clarify - for my situation, this is for a OBS 7.3. Unfortunately it's an auto. But it's nice to hear just in general what others have considered. I am considering swapping a manual, but haven't figured where I would relocate the coms equipment. I had considered a combination of a kill switch and GPS tracking already, but wanted to still hear opinions of others. 7.3's are getting stolen a lot around here lately, although its mostly the 10th gen trucks. But considering the $$$ I'm investing into mine, I would want to take good precautions. As for insurance, it is fully covered, but insurance usually will not consider all the 'extras' that went into a vehicle, or the stuff inside it. Which is unfortunate......

Bojak

Adventurer
I found these, seems like a wide range of possibilities.
c29fea7c5a5ea589ea5e8341e301fcea.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
A kill switch in a modern OBD-II truck will probably confuse the ECM computer and force it to relearn everything when you start the truck, unless it's wired so that it doesn't just disconnect the battery. Not that big a deal, but something to be aware of. At least on my Dodge Hemi, it took almost 500 miles of assorted driving before it could pass the CA smog certification after a battery disconnect.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I say shoot em, but then again certain vehicles you should just leave with the keys in them and hope for a good insurance payout... (fruad)....:eek:

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Saw some guys in San Antonio break into my Ford 6.0 right quick without setting off alarm, still no idea how they did it without setting off alarm since if I used the key to open the door instead of the keyfob button I'd set it off.

They saw me running toward the truck and jumped into the waiting getaway car and were gone with nothing in hand. Installed a set of Jimmi Jammers after that but if they want to get in they'll get in!

Parked right downtown in a paid lot under lights - they just don't ****** and work as a coordinated team - mechanic, spotter, driver, all dressed up nice and driving a new BMW

My '05 F250 was stolen in San Antonio right outside my wife's office building. Didn't really care about the truck other than it was paid off but it had a lot of my gear inside. That was in 2012 and I actually saw it driving around a month or so ago as I was heading into a store. By the time I was able to get my phone out to get the new plate number it was gone. Likely recovered and sold at auction by my insurance company but still would have liked to see the cops stop it.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
For a kill switch, I've always just tapped the neutral safety switch or clutch safety switch to disable the starter.

I doubt it will effect the ECM, but won't know for sure until I try it on a recently acquired vehicle.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
On vehicles with a RFID (chip key) It is not possible to start the vehicle without a ECM/ECU on hand (swap for the original). That still means bypassing the ignition lock. If a thief is that prepared, not much will deter them. I guess a chain/steering wheel lock etc might stop them for a bit. But a battery powered grinder will break through in short order.

So my thoughts: Move and/or park somewhere with lower property crime rates. Drive a vehicle you don't care much about. Have good insurance.

A decent security system helps. Ideally one that is not specific to your model, as thieves will practice bypassing them. Motion or body heat sensors can work well if they don't nuisance trip. This won't stop a smash and grab though.

s.e.charles

Chain end on my Hilux is glued to its carpet floor with a giant blob of RTV. When unlocked, the chain & padlock is laid under seat. Armytrucks dont have carpet, I speculate their chain is attached somewhere near steeringwheel itself perhaps hangs from its rearview mirror. I dunno, and wont enlist again just to find out.

why didn't you just say that in the first place? jeeze . . .

For anyone that has not gotten around to putting in a kill switch and need a quick solution now and again;

If your vehicle was built in the last 25 years or so, simply pull one of the relay's or fuses that control the fuel injection, injection pump, or other critical items that will prevent the vehicle from starting.

Take it with you or hide it, this will slow down 99% of lowlife's that are trying to steal your ride.

Safe Travels,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94