Lets talk shells, caps or toppers.....

austintaco

Explorer
my .02

I have a midrise shell on my Taco, and I am glad I went that route. However, I think it looks funny to have a cargo basket tacked on to the roof on a shell that is already a few inches higher than the cab.
For that reason, I am going to attempt to mount rails on my 03 DC's cab area, but that project has been put on hold.

Windoors, windoors, windoors. I wish I had 'em.

robert

Expedition Leader
Just to reiterate- windoors. Pay for them up front even if you have to sell a kidney. I priced them after the fact and needless to say I'm sticking with what I have. They're crazy expensive.

Tacovendor

Explorer
Also the windoors on the ARE shell are built twice a strong as the one that were on my f Leer shell. Also the drop down/removable front window is a great add on. This year I kept both the slder in the cab and the shell opened and made a gasket between the cab and shell made from foam pipe insulation and walla! A/C for the Lab in the back!

I am trying to find a thread about attaching a Thule or Yakima track to a camper shell in order to attach a MEgawarrior basket. I loved the setup, but I can not find the thread. mounting the track to the shell allowed for minimal height of the basket.

I have tried to search for it but can not find it once I read it on my phone.

Please post if you locate it!

Thanks

upcountry

Explorer
What you describe in the post above is really fairly simple, just go to a rack store, (we have one called Rack and Road in Seattle) and pick their brains about how to get the lowest profile mounting possible. there is mind boggling amount of vehicle accessory rack hardware on the market. Finding someone who knows their way around a Thule or Yakima product line will be helpfull.

The track itself is very easy to mount. It all comes down to what parts you use to connect the track to the baskett to yeild the least amount of rise off the rack.

upcountry

Explorer
Regarding windooors, I have been experiencing that they freeze shut with the cold weather we have been having. That is my complaint. I wonder if I applyed some silicoln lubricant with a towel if it would cause it to not stick so bad, I am woried the gaskett is going to rip.

fourfa

Observer
I am trying to find a thread about attaching a Thule or Yakima track to a camper shell in order to attach a MEgawarrior basket. I loved the setup, but I can not find the thread. mounting the track to the shell allowed for minimal height of the basket.

I have tried to search for it but can not find it once I read it on my phone.

Please post if you locate it!

Thanks

Might have been my thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-easy-mounting-option-for-roof-rack-on-shell

J

JWP58

If anyone is looking to get rid of a A.R.E. DCU topper let me know. Especially if you are giving it away lol.

Saguache

Adventurer
Regarding windooors, I have been experiencing that they freeze shut with the cold weather we have been having. That is my complaint. I wonder if I applyed some silicoln lubricant with a towel if it would cause it to not stick so bad, I am woried the gaskett is going to rip.

Silicone will work, but in a pinch you can just spray on a light coat of WD-40 too. Rubber and synthetic rubbers respond to this treatment very well and it will evacuate water from them that might freeze making your seals a lot more supple.

tstege

Observer
I have a midrise shell on my Taco, and I am glad I went that route. However, I think it looks funny to have a cargo basket tacked on to the roof on a shell that is already a few inches higher than the cab.
For that reason, I am going to attempt to mount rails on my 03 DC's cab area, but that project has been put on hold.

Windoors, windoors, windoors. I wish I had 'em.

Hey I am not sure how mid rise your shell is but I had that problem so I put the rack on my truck instead of shell. I was really happy with the added height in the camper shell. It also helps that I found it dirt cheap on CL and then added side windows and a vent. TylerIMG_0641.jpgIMG_0640.jpg

nat

Adventurer
I like my Bestop and rack I made combo. It takes a lot of weight and abuse and I don't worry about a shell. I use the OEM roof rack for the cab.

_MG_6545.jpgTacoCanoe2.jpg

J

JWP58

Ever had that Bestop in sub zero temps? I've heard the windows tear or "shatter" when they get that cold.

I've found one locally for a nice price, and Im considering it instead of a commercial topper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior