Lexus GX 460 & 470 owner's thread

JakeH

Adventurer
Instead of running through a million tire review & opinion threads, I'm just going to run straight to my final question:
Is the new yokohama geolandar g015 too aggressive looking for the Gx460?

All great tires, but the KO2 is too knobby for my taste, the michelin LTX isnt quite knobby enough & I've always had great luck with Yokohama

chunko

Observer
Instead of running through a million tire review & opinion threads, I'm just going to run straight to my final question:
Is the new yokohama geolandar g015 too aggressive looking for the Gx460?

All great tires, but the KO2 is too knobby for my taste, the michelin LTX isnt quite knobby enough & I've always had great luck with Yokohama

Not at all, in my opinion. If you're looking for a good AT tire that performs very well for highway driving (without being too knobby), look at the Cooper AT3's. I've got about 30,000 miles on them and they ride smooth and quiet on the highway and have been great for the ~300 or so miles of trails I've done.

JakeH

Adventurer
Got another oil change the other day & decided to look at the bill. 8 quarts of 20 weight synthetic... That is a ridiculous amount of oil for a 4.6, what does the 5.7 take, like 10?

mgalvez

Got another oil change the other day & decided to look at the bill. 8 quarts of 20 weight synthetic... That is a ridiculous amount of oil for a 4.6, what does the 5.7 take, like 10?

I changed my oil on my 460 on Friday, it took over 8 quarts of 0-20w synthetic, just shy of 8.5 quarts....

JLee

Adventurer

7.9 with filter for the LX570.

mgalvez

7.9 with filter for the LX570.
When people say they are going to play it safe with 5k oil changes on their 470s and 460s its playing waaaay too safe. I used to have an 03 dodge Cummins. I would do 10k oil changes with Rotella non synth. That truck still runs like brand new at 290k and I used to pull heavy trailers and idle it all the time. These trucks have a similar oil capacity and most use synthetic. This should not be an issue even run hard for a long life.

JakeH

Adventurer
The maintenance minder on my 460 comes on at 6000 miles, so the engineers must have planned for extended intervals.

mcharfauros

Found 2004 one owner and solid maintenance history. Definitely staying tuned to this thread, as this may be the vehicle we get for our daughter. If it works out that she doesn’t care much for it, and leaves it with us after she heads to college, it may just turn into our dedicated trail/expedition truck.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Currently in the market for a family cruiser that will hold a rear facing car seat. How does the gx 470 do? I really think a tundra would be perfect but a little to big for the trails in the north east.

JakeH

Adventurer
Very nice! I remember when I was shopping these against other SUVs, I searched on carcomplaints dot com, where everything has a history & the only result that came back was: We don't have any complaints for this car, they either didn't sell many or it's very very good. I see them almost as often as 4runners & F150s, so they sold plenty!

bugeye1257

Observer
Here to say hi.
2010 GX

f2jyr.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online