libarata's Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100,

libarata

Expedition Leader
Otherwise, henceforth know as, the CSS Guppy. Eventually I will have a decal made for it. CSS, because it was made in North Carolina, and lives in Virginia, and because I can. I will buy a wee little CSN flag for and all. But, that is purely for giggles. The Tarpon 100 is a 10ft sit-on-top, entry level anglers kayak. It was purchased locally at Rockfish Gap Outfitters, in Waynesboro, VA. I highly recommend those folks! this craft will primarily live on lakes/ponds, over the shallow, and exceptionally rocky 'rivers' in my area.
=
As it is, she is bare stock. I need to find myself some accessory rail mounted rod holders for up front, anchor system, mount for an iPhone, and who knows what else, possibly a 12v light system if I can justify it.
=
So many of us on this forum have build threads for our vehicles, but I think it would be funny, and fun, to have them for our craft as well! Obviously the customization is fairly limited, but hey, whatever. So here she is.

0302151726.jpg

dmc1

Adventurer
You have yourself an excellent boat. It is great for the rivers where I live. Easy to handle and just plain fun. I have mine rigged with fishing rods and mounts for my GOPRO.

Last edited:

BushHead

Adventurer
Its a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12... with, well all kinds of junk...lol.

oh, and not mine. Mine is plain, couple rod holders, and a place for my beer.....

p.s. The first thing I did was make a milk crate rod holder, super easy, just google image it, there's tons of different ways to do it.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I just need a milk crate. I am pretty sure I have the PVC and other sundries to do so. All I want so far, is a mount for the iPad/Bluetooth speaker for some music, and a 'Deeper' fish finder, for the iPad. I have never been one for trolling, so up front holders would just be an added bonus :D
=

Still love the look of that yak!

libarata

Expedition Leader
I am going out this Saturday, and possibly again Sunday. I just need to pick up a paddle, vest, and fishing license. SO damn excited. Oh, I need a milk crate too. Have you found anything other than a crate to work? I am going to keep an eye out for something a little more enclosed if I can.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Wife and i have sit in Wilderness Pungo 120s. Bought them in Santa Barbara in 2004 and kayaked on Russian River, Snoqualmie River, Glacier, Lake Sakakawea, various rivers, lakes, and ponds in Pennsylvania, Tennessee, outside of Toronto, the York River in Maine, and now in Virginia (and more places I forget). The milk crate will work well, but get a dry bag for the stuff that cannot get wet. Leave some air in it, so it floats. Tie it to the yak, it will float away amazingly fast. Learn how to get back on in deep water (where you cannot touch bottom)
Don't over-accessorize. Use it for a while, and what you need will become apparent, a piece at a time.

Also, get the best (weight, strength, lenghtblade size) paddle you can afford. This will make a huge difference to your success. Make sure the vest you buy works with your back support. Someone loaned me a sit-on once without the backrest, back did not last long.

By the way, the Wilderness Systems have held up well to rooftop racks, many miles on the roof, and exposure to the sun. Use 303 Protectant. I use Yakima Mako saddles, since they let me carry the yaks upright or upside down for when it rains on the road. Your sit on should self drain.

More than you asked, but i'm home sick and bored.

libarata

Expedition Leader
No worries Jeff! I am fairly new to kayaking, having only used those puky little old town yaks a half dozen times or so. I grew up in Northern Wisconsin on Canoes, performing all kinds of 3 season fishing/camping trips in 2-5 person canoes. Just sitting in the yak in our living room, I am excited for its inherent stability.

BushHead

Adventurer
I'm sure you could use something other than a milk crate, but I'm the refrig tech for my county school system so I have all the crates I could ever need so It was the easiest for me. I'm sure any plastic box could be made to work just drill holes in it so the water can get out and make it easy to attach to your boat.

This guy used a cooler..
IMG_0377.jpg

This looks like a tackle box....
norcalmods3000004.jpg

My advice would just be to throw something together quick and get out there!!! You can always make it better later.

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
I like that tackle box and cooler idea. I will probably pick up a crate tomorrow, and a soft cooler. Picking up a cheapo paddle, and vest on Friday.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Operation Egg Crate was a success. We inherited an egg crate from my in-laws(near 40 years old it is) when I was relocated to virginia. It has a steel band around the top, is grey, and fits perfectly in the back cargo area of the kayak. Now to source some PVC for the rod, and an anchor light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles