Liberty CRD vs Fj Cruiser

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
SO in my planning for my next ride I have been planning FJ cruiser but I have wanted a small diesel for a long time now. My wifes TDI is a great car and I love driving the diesel, so I was thinking about a 2006 Liberty CRD instead of an FJ.

Now before you guys go NO WAY here me out. OME lift and front bumer with winch. arb Lockers & new gears, full skids, rear bumper and sliders, 265/70/16 tires, lights, Snorkel (by Airflow just out), and roof rack.

THis would serve as my primary daily driver for 3 years then go to trail rig. I know the FJ is a capable trail rig but they are both an IFS front with coil spring rear. How much better could the FJ really be over a liberty on the trail if equipped equally. Plus I'll have the diesel for reliability and longevity. I don't know just thinking out loud.

I have seen some Liberty CRD's with less then 15K miles on them for 17-19K I could buy the liberty and kit it out for almost the cost of just the FJ.

Last edited:

JPFreek1

Explorer
I'm just slightly biased but my preference would certainly be the Liberty with the options you've described. True...the FJ Cruiser did earn 4x4 of the Year (ahead of the Rubicon Unlimited) but Jeeps are Jeeps and the description you gave probably can't be topped in the compact/mid-size SUV market. I say go with the Liberty!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
One thing that would bother me right now is the state of flux of Daimler Chrysler. Will a CRD diesel be an orphan soon, parts availability in 5 or 10 years? One thing Toyota has going for it is longevity, they're not going anywhere, there is no talk of spinning off, who's buying who, etc. Toyota spares availability is very well known, you will not be left out to dry. But my criteria is a bit longer term. No doubt a Liberty would be a fine vehicle, but I tend to keep trucks for a very long time. I rebuilt the engine in a 17 year old truck and fully expect another 15+ years for it. Toyota still has parts for 20 year old trucks in their system and so I don't think that keeping it for 25 or 30 years is a completely unreasonable expectation.

Last edited:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
One thing that would bother me right now is the state of flux of Daimler Chrysler. Will a CRD diesel be an orphan soon, parts availability in 5 or 10 years? One thing Toyota has going for it is longevity, they're not going anywhere, there is no talk of spinning off, who's buying who, etc. Toyota spares availability is very well known, you will not be left out to dry. But my criteria is a bit longer term. No doubt a Liberty would be a fine vehicle, but I tend to keep trucks for a very long time. I rebuilt the engine in an 17 year old truck and fully expect another 15+ years for it. Toyota still has parts for 20 year old trucks in their system and so I don't think that keeping it for 25 or 30 years is a completely unreasonable expectation.

Good point on the part issue. Right now the CRD is not even in production. I guess THey did not update the motor for the new specs. Probably the same reason the CRD for the Grand Cherokee is still not available. Part availability could be an issue, but I do not fear that as much as I probably should. It's a shame that our country does not currently offer one small truck or SUV with a diesel option.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nullifier said:
Good point on the part issue. Right now the CRD is not even in production. I guess THey did not update the motor for the new specs. Probably the same reason the CRD for the Grand Cherokee is still not available. Part availability could be an issue, but I do not fear that as much as I probably should.
It's only an issue if you plan to keep the truck long enough for it to be.

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
To be honest I am not a huge fan of the FJ Cruiser, but there are a couple of concerns I have with your choice. If you are making it based on mileage, check the numbers. Jeep claims 21/27, but I have not found that to be the case. My neighbor is getting around 18 mpg on B10 in mixed driving. Compare that to the 18/22 of the FJ Cruiser. I don't know why the CRD cannot make mileage figures comparable to a TDI, or at least better than one ton diesel trucks!

The other issue for wheeling/expedition use is the disparity in tire size. You can fit larger tires on a stock FJ than a lifted Liberty. The added ground clearance will definitely come in handy. Otherwise, I like how you plan to outfit the Liberty and I definitely appreciate building something different than the norm.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
4Runner V6. No question IMHO.

I agree:REOutArchery02: Sometimes I wish I'd bought one instead of the LC...

Have you actually looked under the front end of a Liberty? I have one my friend, and I'm not impressed with the front suspension or running gear. The lift options still suck on the Liberty compared to the FJ/Taco/4runner.

I think the Liberty CRD was a neat idea, but the FJ has more trail potential.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I seriously looked at the Liberty before purchase of my 4Runner, with similar upgrade ideas. I'm glad I went with the 4Runner (2001). The Liberty is SMALL inside and not very economical (even the diesel). I was looking for more room moving up from my Suzuki and there was an inch or two in the rear seats and an inch or two in the luggage area, but that was all.

In all honesty, I really did like the Jeep, but I think space would be a huge issue ultimately. And for a trail rig, even with max lift on the Liberty, you are only matching, or barely surpassing, stock clearance on the Toyota.

JPFreek1

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
One thing that would bother me right now is the state of flux of Daimler Chrysler. Will a CRD diesel be an orphan soon, parts availability in 5 or 10 years? One thing Toyota has going for it is longevity, they're not going anywhere, there is no talk of spinning off, who's buying who, etc. Toyota spares availability is very well known, you will not be left out to dry. But my criteria is a bit longer term. No doubt a Liberty would be a fine vehicle, but I tend to keep trucks for a very long time. I rebuilt the engine in a 17 year old truck and fully expect another 15+ years for it. Toyota still has parts for 20 year old trucks in their system and so I don't think that keeping it for 25 or 30 years is a completely unreasonable expectation.

I don't know that I'd be too concerned about parts availability based strictly on the sale of the Chrysler unit. If the Chrysler unit were be discontinued permanently then yes, I would certainly be concerned. The way I see it, as long as there are vehicles on the road of a particular make/model, parts will be available based on demand.

With that said, I completely agree about the Liberty front suspension and its limited spacing for larger tires. However, a well-equipped Liberty (per the original thread) will definitely surprise a lot of Liberty haters out there. Also note that we're talking about the small/mid-size SUV market here. I like Scott's assertion about the 4runner but isn't that considered a different class though?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
expeditionswest said:

Agreed. It carries 4 more gallons of gas than the FJ and has better visibility out the sides and back. Suspension mods, sliders, lockers and skids are all available.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:

Like this? and why the 6 not the 8? I know you spent some time in the arb rig which I thought was an 8. I will have a Cmapa unit bythe time I get ready to wheel whatever rig I will be using.

On a side note and this is crazy but a Snorkel is a big thing for me also. With Arb and the others not offering them for newer u.s. market vehicles, it makes it an even tougher dilema. A snorkel is important for Fl wheeling. I want my cake and eat it too LOL!

Scott Brady

Founder
Nullifier said:
On a side note and this is crazy but a Snorkel is a big thing for me also. With Arb and the others not offering them for newer u.s. market vehicles, it makes it an even tougher dilema. A snorkel is important for Fl wheeling. I want my cake and eat it too LOL!

I have driven the 4runner with the 8 and the FJ with the six, and think the six is a better choice. Hauling the heavy trailer would make the 8 nice though.

Neither the FJ, KJ or Gen 4 4Runners have snorkel options currently.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Tucson T4R said:
huge 4Runner fan here. Just curious why you selected the 4Runner as your first choice?

<sarcasm>
There's a difference between the FJ and the 4Runner?
</sarcasm>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz