Lighting Changes Coming

buellconvert

The part that really needs to be addressed is the failure of the driver to know or realize that their headlights aren't even on! I believe in taking advantage of all the technology at our disposal to keep vehicles and people safe on the roadway, but ultimately it's the person's responsibility when they operate a vehicle, of any kind, to be familiar with and use all the systems correctly...to include your HEADLIGHTS! We can't just trust technology to replace personal responsibility and accountability.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Jacobm

I think the easiest solution would be to standardize a headlight switch. In my car, the switch has four options - Automatic, OFF, Parking Lights, ON. I leave the switch in Automatic, but I've had the car returned from service with the switch in the OFF position before. Even in OFF, the DRLs and the dash lights still operate normally. I like being able to turn the lights off sometimes, but I'd prefer if the switch went OFF, Automatic, Parking, ON, with OFF being a momentary override. I think all cars now control the lights through a body computer, instead of a traditional relay, so the OFF override could be programmed to keep the lights off for a set period of time, or perhaps until the vehicle is restarted, at which point automatic mode takes over again. My truck only has Automatic, Parking, ON, and sometimes I'd like to be able to keep the truck running with the lights off (for example, warming up in a dark campsite and trying to preserve my night vision).

jbaucom

Vehicles with DRLs should be required to have automatic headlights that can only be temporarily disabled/turned off and headlights that are linked to the wipers so that if windshield wipers are turned on, the headlights come on. I see a lot of vehicles riding around at dusk without headlights/taillights, presumably because the DRLs that are on provide enough lighting that the drivers think their headlights are on. I see the same thing in the rain and fog, where drivers have no taillights because they think their DRLs are on and they think that makes them visible to other drivers.

billiebob

Honestly, the easy solution is to get rid of the computer and give us the old Off, Park, On function.

I still cannot believe we allow touch sctreens and a line of identical flush switches. Remember the old Fords the headlights had a round switch, the wipers a hexagonal switch and you could tune the radio without looking at it and the heater was 3 switches you could hold onto while adjusting. The first touch screen in the 1986 Buick but it only lasted a few years because owners complained about taking their eyes off the road. Proof that evolution does not always improve the species.

I refuse to buy a car unless it has switches like this for the heater/defroster/fan.... which pretty much eliminates a leather seat.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Alloy

Honestly, the easy solution is to get rid of the computer and give us the old Off, Park, On function.

I still cannot believe we allow touch sctreens and a line of identical flush switches. Remember the old Fords the headlights had a round switch, the wipers a hexagonal switch and you could tune the radio without looking at it and the heater was 3 switches you could hold onto while adjusting. The first touch screen in the 1986 Buick but it only lasted a few years because owners complained about taking their eyes off the road. Proof that evolution does not always improve the species.

I refuse to buy a car unless it has switches like this for the heater/defroster/fan.... which pretty much eliminates a leather seat.

View attachment 699247

In my truck I reach over and hit 1 button for the heat and turn a dial for temp. I do it without looking.

For heat in the car I have to tap a tiny button on the 10" screen 2-3 times (I miss because the car is bouncing) to close Android Auto then (my eyes are on the screen not the road) navigate through 2 screens to get to climate control and tap 1 more button then I need to get back to Android Auto because I have to be hands free.

I wsh they would address LED signal lights that are impossible to see from the side at 30-45 degreen when someone is making a left turn at an intersection.

Last edited:

oldnslow

Observer

That touch screen in my new Ranger is its worst feature in my opinion - far worse than the "automatic climate control" that works like crap. There is no way to adjust anything without taking your eyes off the road, and for far longer times than is safe. An XL model has switches but requires black seats, and I won't buy a vehicle with black seats here in southern AZ. It would be an oven.

And like someone said, nothing happens with one touch in a moving vehicle. Its poke and look to see if it worked, then poke again and look again...

No wonder our accident rates are climbing.

sargeek

Adventurer
1) People are crappy drivers; and our law enforcement refuses to enforce these minor infractions : drivers who think their DRL are headlights. Driver who driver around with their brights on for no reason.
2) Vehicle are getting complex - dash lights came on with the headlights; if you can’t see the dash; if probably means the headlights are off. DRL providing enough light that people can drive at night.
3) Throw in an additional distraction like a cell phone and it overwhelms the operator.
The automated vehicle will me the answer unfortunately.

thebmrust

Technology isn’t the problem, bad drivers are.
I see at least one driver a week w/o lights on.
A week before Christmas, even with oncoming drivers flashing lights, for almost 20minutes, the dumb driver still didn’t get it. They drove across town before they turned their lights on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles