Lightning Flippers Beware! Ford May Not Let You Re-Sell Your Truck!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
It looks like Ford is testing out a new technique to protect the market for and prices of its hot, new EV Lightning by now attempting (successfully in some locales so far) to restrict buyers from reselling (a.k.a., flipping) their new Lightning pickups!

This seems to be a entirely new wrinkle on a corporation controlling your rights as the owner of its product After you “own” it. Wow! This is pretty crazy. The current restriction of disallowing resales within one year of your original purchase may initially seem somewhat reasonable (as it will stymie flippers), but if a new owner has lifestyle or economic changes that make them need to resell, or if they decide they don’t like the truck, they cannot sell it? Read on below…

So, what do you guys think?

Will this strategy create a growing trend with other product producers/sellers to also completely redefine and erode the definition of your rights of personal ownership? I understand what Ford is trying to do, but still…

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: plh

Markal

I mean, you still have the right NOT to buy one in the first place. This is hardly tyranny run amok. If buyers don’t like it, they won’t buy, and Ford will back off. I can understand them trying to shut down flippers.

Seems unlikely to be enforced. I mean, if someone sells, what’s the dealer gonna do? Sue? Really?

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
You go to the dealer, buy a an overpriced piece of plastic with an electric motor take it home and sell it for more than you paid from the dealer.
And somebody would be stupid enough to pay more for a used vehicle from a private party than they would brand from the dealer new with zero miles.
People are that ignorant today?
Ford must think so... and maybe they are.

plh

Explorer
It looks like Ford is testing out a new technique to protect the market for and prices of its hot, new EV Lightning by now attempting (successfully in some locales so far) to restrict buyers from reselling (a.k.a., flipping) their new Lightning pickups!

This seems to be a entirely new wrinkle on a corporation controlling your rights as the owner of its product After you “own” it. Wow! This is pretty crazy. The current restriction of disallowing resales within one year of your original purchase may initially seem somewhat reasonable (as it will stymie flippers), but if a new owner has lifestyle or economic changes that make them need to resell, or if they decide they don’t like the truck, they cannot sell it? Read on below…

So, what do you guys think?

Will this strategy create a growing trend with other product producers/sellers to also completely redefine and erode the definition of your rights of personal ownership? I understand what Ford is trying to do, but still…

Not surprising. I had mentioned to a few friends that had some of their features turned off after a few years of ownership (new cars) unless they ponied up monthly cash (like remote start), vehicles will become a subscription service. Pay full price for the first 5 years, then after 5 have to pay a monthly fee to drive it.

I'll guess in the purchase agreement it already says that the buyer doesn't "own" the software.

plh

Explorer
You go to the dealer, buy a an overpriced piece of plastic with an electric motor take it home and sell it for more than you paid from the dealer.
And somebody would be stupid enough to pay more for a used vehicle from a private party than they would brand from the dealer new with zero miles.
People are that ignorant today?
Ford must think so... and maybe they are.

Welcome to the palm pilot generation

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
The plot thickens…

Now Ford has announced that you will not be able to buy your Lightning at the end of its lease term but instead will have to sell it back to the dealer! This rule will apply to several other Ford EV’s too. Oh my!

Reactions: plh

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have no problem with Fords take on this in the current climate of limited inventory. Dealers need to follow the rules as well though. Look what Toyota dealers are doing on the new Tundra. They buy anything used and Jack the price which helps them sell the new ones for 15 over sticker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne