Limb Wires

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Hey guys, question regarding installing some limb wires.

Due to the types of conditions I find myself in frequently in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and up and coming this summer in Northern Ontario, I've been trying to come up with a plan of attack for some easilty removeable limb wires for my FJ80. I'm running a Con Ferr basket on my 80 that extends up to my sun roof. What I've been planning to do is take an extra Thule rack that I have laying around, use the gutter mounts and bar and run it at the front edge of my sunfoor/gutter. I want to trim the bar so that it doesn't extend past the width of the gutters, then run limb wires from the basket, forward to the Thule bar (through some eyelets or something) then down to the front outside edges of my bull bar. For the experts here who have made their own in the past, what type of cable and tensioners do you use? How about fastners for the bull bar and basket? Any recomendations? I appreciate it. I've attached a couple of picture of the truck to help with the visual of what I'm trying to do.

Last edited:

asteffes

Explorer
What exactly are limb wires for? I've seen them on trucks but never really knew why. I Googled a bit but didn't come up with anything.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
When you are driving through heavy vegetation (like trees with low laying branches) they help run the branch up and over the truck versus draggin along the hood, windshield, then getting jammed in the front side of the rack before they eventually pop over. With limb wires, all of that junk just slides up and over the roof rack, or whatever you have the top end attached to. A lot of the trails and routes in this area are very narrow due to vegetation and it would prevent me some pinstriping a bit and help aid in visibility too when moving through those dense spots. I'm hoping to devise a way to be able to take them on or off easily for when I may need them.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Oh, and I was going to mention as well, the other use of that Thule bar would be to hold a support for my canoe. The contact points, if it all works out would be the back of the basket, the front of the basket, and off of the bar in front. I'll need to come up with some sort of removable support that will mount to the bar.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Now that's an interesting idea! I could mount some permanent eyelets on the front edge of the basket and onto the bull bar that those could snap into. Then all I would need would be a tensioner that I could use to tighten the setup.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
mcvickoffroad said:
I have seen basic turnbuckles used as tensioners in this application.

Do the turnbuckles tend to stay tight, or do they vibrate loose? That would be potentially annoying.

Scott Brady

Founder
Here are a few good pictures:
IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

You guys will be seeing a little more of this 4Runner on the forum soon (hint, hint). :shakin:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Thanks Scott, thats helpfull. Looks like they brazed that loop onto the bull bar huh? I was also considering making a removable bracket that would clamp around it to provide an attachment point.

+ d

Adventurer
check out Mcmaster-Carr they are an insanely huge industrial supply house, with amazing customer service.

try starting out with a search for "wire rope fittings"
should be plenty of ideas there

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Thanks David. That sight is pretty amazing! I can't believe how much stuff they sell. I searched for wire rope and there were thousands of combinations of sizes, diameters, and coatings. They even had detailed specs for each size including load strength, strand configuration, # of strands, etc. Wow, I didn't realize there were so many choices. haha Appreciate it.

+ d

Adventurer
you should see their paper catalogs...over 3000 pages!
getting one out of them is like pulling teeth, you gotta buy a lot of stuff before they'll mail you one.
a 2 year old beatup mcmaster carr catalog can fetch like $50 on ebay!

BMAN

Adventurer
Reid tool supply will give you their catalog for free and they're just a cool a McMaster Carr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online