Live TdF data

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Was surfing around and found this. It's live rider data from the Tour. Today (7/11/07) they have Carlstrom and Delage. Not only is it actual live HR, speed and altitude, but you can link to the Google Map and see where they are (this doesn't seem to be updated quite as often as the rider data). Maybe there's something to this GPS and wireless stuff afterall.

http://www.polarfrance.fr/Live_Race_Data/Polar_Live_EN.php

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
That's pretty cool, but where do you go to get Paul and Phil live audio? I'm dyin' here. This is one of a couple times a year I wish I had cable.

DaveInDenver

bigreen505 said:
That's pretty cool, but where do you go to get Paul and Phil live audio? I'm dyin' here. This is one of a couple times a year I wish I had cable.
I dunno if there is a live audio, that would be très bon. You can get some coverage at http://www.versus.com (the old OLN) and the English language TdF website . I usually catch the 10PM replay if I can't watch the live morning coverage at 6:30AM. The prime time coverage is OK, I like Bobke, Robbie Ventura and Frankie Andreu, but for some reason Al Trautwig doesn't do it for me calling cycling. I love him calling hockey, but for cycling just give me Phil and Paul without the fluff. We have DirecTV right now (long story) and the only reason I haven't pulled the plug is the "Cyclism Sundays", the weekly Pro Tour coverage by Phil and Paul on Versus and Speed's coverage of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

VeloNews and EuroSport:
http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/cycling/livematch/171224.html

A couple of live feeds (if they are not blocked like they are here):
mms://vipeurosport.yacast.net/eus_streamlive3
http://wmedialive.coltfrance.com/tourfrance_com

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If you really need a quick info fix you can get live text updates on cyclingnews.com and velonews.com. Not as flashy as audio but it is live.

Off the subject, I've been to the tour 7 times and have witnessed at least 30-40 stages. I REEEAAALLY wish I had been there to see Cancellara uncork than killer sprint to the finish. That was awesome.

DaveInDenver

Flounder said:
Off the subject, I've been to the tour 7 times and have witnessed at least 30-40 stages.
I think right now my target is for my 40th birthday to try to see the TdF in person. That would be pretty cool.
I REEEAAALLY wish I had been there to see Cancellara uncork than killer sprint to the finish. That was awesome.
He couldn't have timed it any better, eh? Another 200 meters and Napolitano and Zabel would have had him. Fun to see the maillot jaune taking some risks and making it exciting.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Personally I mute the tv..... The 4th stage was enough to put a school of sharks to sleep. watching it in person on your 40Th???? Dang I knew there was something I forgot.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Today's stage really made me homesick for France as I lived within a 30 minute bike ride from the finish in Autun. I did a ton of racing in that area and those little, punchy climbs around there are bloody murder. Some easily reach 8-10%.

I'm super bummed we missed going this year. Oh well. We attended the Giro and a couple stages of the Vuelta last year.

DaveInDenver

Flounder said:
We attended the Giro and a couple stages of the Vuelta last year.
How cool. Someday, someday... I bet when you were there you were thinking how dearly you missed seeing the inside of a beige cubical, tho.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
I bet when you were there you were thinking how dearly you missed seeing the inside of a beige cubical, tho.
Ah...don't bring up the cubical. I was recently upgraded to a real office with a real door, real walls and even a window view. No matter, it is still a corporate box.

If you go to catch a Euro-race, resist the temptation to go see the tour. Too crazed. The Giro is amazing and the smaller races like the Dauphine put you shoulder to shoulder with the riders.

We get the inside track sometimes. Although Bob Roll was a hero of mine when i was growing up racing in the 80s, it was my wife who got to know him a few years back. I was stunned the day SHE introduced ME to HIM. She had no clue who he was. He sometimes hooks us up, as does Lynard Zinn who I've known since the mid 90s.

If you go, gimme a buzz.

DaveInDenver

How about the Marseille to Montpellier stage today? Astana shook up the race, kept it interesting. Too bad about Moreau, but I think he got caught not paying attention getting that road rash tended to. But in fairness, Vino is riding with about 50 stitches in his knees and Moreau probably could have ridden with the little bit of those flesh wounds he had and not assumed the peloton would relax. The other G.C. guys rode a smart race, maybe the other team managers recognized an opportunity and just read the weather better. No matter, '07 is shaping up like '06, anything could happen. I'm liking Rasmussen's chances actually, although in the end I do think it'll be one of the pre-Tour favorites who will grind it out (my guess is Klöden or Valverde at this point). Contador was impressive on the Alpine stages, but it's hard to say he will have the maturity to pace himself. But with Hincapie and Popo watching over him, who knows. That would be cool, a rookie win. And Levi, well, he's keeping himself in the thick of it and maybe that's his plan. But for some reason I just don't get the vibe that he's as ready as he says he is. But he's keeping out of trouble and seems to hang with the right guys enough to be there. I love this stuff!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I raced in Belgium for two seasons and Astana's push into the crosswinds brought through a real memorie of suffering. What a great move. I do think Moreau got caught with his pants down, but then again, he was at the Med car only a few Ks before that push. He might have just waited too long to move back up.

Cadel and Rassmusen are in prime position and I think the battle is on in the mountains. Levi...he's a wheel chaser. Contador has got little to lose and his star is on the rise. In fact, a good placing here as a young gun and he can start thinking about upgrading his entire lifestyle.

This is great racing. Reminds me of the late 80s.

DaveInDenver

Flounder said:
I raced in Belgium for two seasons
Who'd you race for? I've never raced road and it's always seemed like something I'd really like to do. One of these days I'll be able to afford a road bike, I think it's going to be the whole package for my 40th, a road bike and a break-in trip to France for the Tour, savings be damned. Anyway, the Cat 3 & 4 CX and Sport & Expert here are absolutely brutal. I can't say I'm dedicated at training (what with working a full time job and all that junk), but I get in around 1500 miles of commuting in per year, a couple of weekly group rides, race about half a dozen CX races in the fall, in a good year about 8 to 10 MTB XC and 24 Hour events (we've been doing them duo the past year). I couldn't seem to crack the code to get the time of day from any teams.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As a junior I raced for a team out of Antwerp. In the mid 90s I raced for an elite team in France located in Burgundy. Pedal Sportif le Creusot to be specific. I was a pretty snappy Cat 2 back then. These days I ride with the masters groups and toss in the occassional Cat 2 race which is equally quick. I've probably done over 400 races. Some good years. Some really, really bad ones. It's a brutal sport but after 20 some odd years I couldn't shake it if I tried.

Those boys on the Front Range do it right. I cut my teeth at the Wednesday Worlds in Fort Collins in the late 80s. I actually have a great photo of me and a 13 year old Jonathan Vaughters trading pulls outside of Boulder. Guess which one of us went to college? Me. Stupid. I lost some great racing years to beer, pizza and college chicks. When I left college I moved to France to try to get it back, but the prime years were lost. I've been a 2 ever since.

Get a bike. Go race. Hell, take your 'cross bike if you have one!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke