Living with a 3" lift on a '98 4Runner

I don't own a 4Runner, but I'm currently shopping for one. I've found another one that looks promising. It does have a 3" Toytec lift. I am buying this truck for travel rather than hard core wheeling, so I'm wondering if this lift is a plus or a minus. The owner says it rides better than it did when it was stock.

Does a lift like that adversely affect the handling, tire wear and U-joint/CV joint wear? What's it like to live with? I will be driving this thing to the desert, which is over a thousand miles from home.

Thanks!

Dopesick

Does a bear..........
If you're buying it for travel, adn not benefitting from the lift for off-roading, It's a minus mate.

The increased lift, will place additional stress on the CV's and Steering/Suspension parts (Steering Rack, Inner Tie Rod End, Outer Tie Rod End, Lower Ball Joints, Lower A-Arm Bushings, Upper A-Arm Bushing, and Upper Ball Joints).

The Toytec lift is indeed a good lift. You must take into account the age of the vehicle. It will have increased maint requirements with the lift. How much, well depends on how the Previous Owner treated and maintained it, as well as how you treat it and maintain it.

Also, the lift WILL affect gas mileage.

Dopesick

Does a bear..........
No worries mate, good luck with your decision. I can say this, maint and MPG hit or not. I daily drive mine, and it's been absolute fun.

Dopesick

Does a bear..........
Usually: Change in ride height = a minor affect on aerodynamics. Also the increased drag on the front CV's will contribute. If the lift is coupled with larger tires (as most lift kits are), and the gears are not changed to offset the tire outer diameter, this increases the load on the vehicle and put it outside the "target" rpm vs speed. Even IF the gears are replaced, the larger tires are also more rotational mass. Keeping in mind all things being equal, the worst I have seen is 3-4mpg reduction. Currently without regearing my 4Runner, I've lost 2-3 mpg. I'll be installing 4.88:1 gears in the next week.

Dopesick

Does a bear..........
14-15 in city, 17-18 on the highway. IF I remove my roof rack and tire on there. With tire and roof rack, 12-13 in city, 16-17 on the highway.

Applejack

Explorer
I've had two lifted 3rd gens and the quality/condition of the suspension system will determine if the ride and handling is better. I found the stock suspension to be hardly adequate with abysmal handling. I ran an OME system on one which although it was a pretty basic setup, gave me 135,000 trouble free miles of asphalt, rock and everything in between.
On the other I ran a Toytec coilover setup with aftermarket UCA's. the Toytec system road and handled the best overall but lacked the longevity of the OME setup. The coilovers had to be rebuilt after about 45k miles and that was at a cost of about $500 IIRC.
To summarize, I found both systems far more preferable to factory and would choose either of them if I had to do it again.

Thanks, Applejack. I found a 2003 Land Cruiser in excellent condition so I bought it. It’s completely stock and I’m thinking it may be perfect the way it is. Well, after I remove the running boards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior