Load range E on a tacoma?

yeos

Observer
I have had the KO2s in that size on my Tacoma for the past 2 years. The ride seems fine to me and I run 33 psi on pavement. I don't carry a ton of weight either. None of my past vehicles rode plush so maybe I'm just used to it? On rough roads they will ride rough unless you air them down.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I run 235/85R16 KO2 load range 'E' on my Taco. Of course they are overkill for the payload of the truck, however I prefer the firm ride and lower worry of sidewall damage.

IMG_0753_mid.jpg

millerfish

Adventurer
I have E load KO2s on my Tacoma and don't think they are much rougher than the P tires that came on the truck. The KO2s seem to be a much better ride than the original KOs. The sidewall you get with the E tire is well worth it in the long run...

Clutch

<---Pass
Question: Why are C rated tires disappearing? They are extreme hard to find in metric sizes, why is that? Is it because they know Tacoma owners tend to over load their trucks? :p

I run C rated 32" Kumho AT51's on my Tacoma with 15" rims, like the tire so much I am going to put them on my Trooper when I pull the winter tires off, however no C rated tire is available for the Isuzu's 245/75/16's Looks like it is either SL or E. Weird.

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/tire/category/truck-suv/2DAD4945-E708-43A2-ADF1-0A43551871B2

Last edited:

AxleIke

Adventurer
Not a Tacoma, but the E rated KO2's on my 4Runner are a lot rougher than the P or even the D range tires. I'm sure it varies from tire to tire and from size to size.

I can't stand a firm ride, however, so I'm more sensitive to it than others.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Question: Why are C rated tires disappearing? They are extreme hard to find in metric sizes, why is that?
Probably because (1) most people don't care all that much, (b) when they do it's often to want durable sidewalls so (iii) why make both a 'C', 'D' and/or 'E' when given (1) and (b) you will never have an under rated tire on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. In my preferred tall and skinny (235/85R16, 255/85R16, etc.) it's sometimes also a dually tire so they'll never make anything lower than 'E'. I don't know why a 265/75R16 would need to be 'E', though, so it's a probably a common denominator thing so they only have to make one tire in those molds.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't know why a 265/75R16 would need to be 'E', though, so it's a probably a common denominator thing so they only have to make one tire in those molds.

I see on the Kumho site, they make the AT51's 265's in SL's...doesn't make sense to make that tread pattern in a SL and not a C, at least to me it doesn't. Wonder what the reasoning is? Is it a metric thing?

ramzflier

Load range E KO2s here. They seem pretty stiff, but I also went to Bilstein 5100s at about the same time so part of the feel is the shocks. It feels more like a truck now, more sturdy and planted - less cushy. I do like the combination. I keep an ARE cap and plywood platform in the back all the time.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
E load Toyot MT's here. I like them a lot! 40 PSI for interstate, 19 PSI for wheeling. Very happy.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I won't run anything else but E rated tires now. I can fill the truck up with firewood and drive it around with no tire deflection at 36psi. I can also fill it with camping gear and a roof top tent and run the same pressure. I don't worry about sidewall punctures, though I don't "rock crawl". Yes it rides a little rougher but it is a truck and I use it like one. If you are looking for a smooth ride on your commute, E rated tires are not the best.

Cheers,
George

scheefdog

Observer
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new set of 265/75R16's. I found a good price on a set of BFG KO2's, but it looks like the only load rating on Tirerack.com in that size is a load rating E. A 10 ply tire seems like serious overkill for such a small truck. Has anyone run these tires? Would running them at low PSI help enough for them to not be spine shattering as a DD and on rough roads?

BFG makes the same overall size KO2 in a load C for 17" wheels:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R7KO2RWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Find yourself a set of 17" wheels from a Tacoma or 4runner and you can run the KO2 in load C. They will be friendly on your gas mileage and are still stout tires.

Finlay

Triarius
I have E load KO2s on my Tacoma and don't think they are much rougher than the P tires that came on the truck. The KO2s seem to be a much better ride than the original KOs. The sidewall you get with the E tire is well worth it in the long run...

What he said, in my experience. I have the 17" E KO2s and my wife complains about the harsh ride unloaded, but I don't mind it and sort of enjoy it. The MPGs are certainly better.

They are less harsh than the KO1 C I had at 35+PSI so... YMMV. Point is, I've been happy with the E KO2s and if you're in the area, you're welcome to take my truck for a spin to see what you think - if you bring the beer. :)

(none)

Adventurer
I recently got a set of Cooper ST Maxx in 255/75-17's Laod Range C. Just looked and they don't offer a comparable size in 16" unfortunately.... That being said, the ST Maxx in this size is very nice. I have them on a 4runner.

same here. I wanted to go up to the 255/80 17s, but the extra weight (8+lbs per tire) plus the e-rating deemed them not worth it.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I've been running e rated KO2's on my '16 Tacoma for about 15,000 miles and I think that they feel just fine on and off road. I'll air down as much as possible when off road, and on road I run 30 PSI all the way around. I'd say try them.

downhill

Adventurer
I won't run anything but E rated tires on my Tacoma. Right now I'm running 255/85-16s at about 35 psi. In such a tall profile tire, the extra stiffness makes them steer and track really well. I have found E rated tires just about bombproof on this truck. They also seem to wear really well. No plans to ever switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz