Lock Only the rear? ARB Kit for all ratios?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm considering installing a rear ARB locker in my 2006 4Runner. Looking at the kit chart on ARB's site it looks like there are different kits for the front diff depending on ratios (which I was aware of). On the rear axle there is only one kit listed for 1988-on 4WD V6 and it’s good for all ratios. There is no V8 listed, I'm assuming it is the same kit for the rear V8s?

If this is correct, it might help me with a difficult decision; to lock only the rear now, and wait and see about a front locker and gears. I do also have the stock ATRAC which works well in many situations.

Originally I thought I would someday do both front/rear lockers and lower gears at the same time. While there would certainly be advantages to lowering my stock gearing, I have been thinking that 4.56 might be the best ratio and they are currently only available as import and very expensive. I'm also not completely certain that I want to re-gear, as I'm able to squeeze some very good economy from my built Mall Crawler with the stock 3.73 gears. The lower gears may help with MPG, particularly towing, but its an expensive gamble.

If I installed a rear locker with the stock gears now and later decided that I wanted to re-gear, I didn't want to have wasted the money on the ARB locker. But if the kit is the same regardless of gear ratios this makes it easier to justify simply trying the rear locker only first. Less money, and less intrusive to the stock system.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
AFAIK you will use the RD132 no matter what, as long as you have an 8" axle. There are differences in the axles, size of bearings, offset (for factory 4.88 gearing in pre 1996 trucks), etc. But the locker for the 8" axle is the same for 4 cylinder, V6, etc. The front locker may be different, I have an RD90 in the front and I think that is universal for all 7.5" trucks (front in 1986+, rears of 2WD, etc.), but you have an 8" front diff in the IFS and so there's a different locker for that. But the back I'm pretty sure is the same for all 8" axles, like fronts of 80 series and live axle pickups/4Runners, rears of pickups/4Runners, etc.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I spent quite a bit of time with the ARB 4Runner, which has dual lockers.

I think I used the front 2-3 times. The real performance gain if from the rear locked and ATRAC in the front. Pretty amazing on the trail and full steering.

The $1000 to install in the front can buy a lot of gas ;)

DaveInDenver

I have found the same as Scott, that the front is used very little in reality. But if you are regearing then I think it's the best time to consider putting it in since reopening the third member and reseting the gears isn't free of pain. But if you are staying with the same ratios, then I would probably not spend the money for a front locker and with A-TRAC I would definitely not spend the money if it's 1/4th as good as everyone says.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
out of curiosity because it's something that I won't likely do, what is the estimated cost (including compressor, plumbing and switches) to install an arb in the rear of 4th gen 4runner?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Ryan:

Prices at a local shop I trust, not the cheapest but good reputation and did the gears on a Jeep for me:
ARB locker kit: $895.00
Labor: if they do the compressor/wiring 6-hrs @ $89.25 = $535.00
Labor: if they just do the locker and I provide the air, 4-hrs @ $89.25 = $357.00

I plan to do my own onboard air install/prep and provide them air to the rear diff because I prefer to install the switches, compressor and wiring to my liking.

Dave:

The ATRAC is pretty damn good. I have driven many rigs with limited slips, and recently owned an LJ Rubicon. While ATRAC is not nearly as good as lockers, it blows away limited slips. Get a tire in the air with most limited slips you're done. Not with ATRAC.

Scott:

You know I thoroughly studied your comments and experiences with the ARB rig before deciding to buy a 4Runner. After a test drive of an Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, and 4Runner, I suddenly became a 4Runner fan. It is truly a comfy ‘sleeper’.

Maintaining steering control while using ATRAC with the rear locked does sound like a terrific formula. Kind of like how ABS allows one to mash the brakes and still maintain steering control. Often the two don’t go together.

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Redline said:
Prices at a local shop I trust, not the cheapest but good reputation and did the gears on a Jeep for me:
ARB locker kit: $895.00
Labor: if they do the compressor/wiring 6-hrs @ $89.25 = $535.00
Labor: if they just do the locker and I provide the air, 4-hrs @ $89.25 = $357.00
I've been shopping around and your prices are better than anything I've found in SoCal.

DaveInDenver

That's in the range of what I paid for my gears, lockers and labor. I had the shop do the whole deal, axle parts, compressor, pull and re-install thirds, gear set-up and plumbing/wiring. The R&R of the third in the back is easier than the front with IFS, so there's a bit of extra hours there. In fact, in my case just pulling out the third members and putting them back in cost like 20% of the total. With two Air Lockers that's a significant amount of money.

If I could go back and do it over, I would have just pulled the third members myself and had them set up, doing the R&R and plumbing myself. But as my one and only completely turn-key installation, I can't complain. But the shop I had do it does good work and the wrench is highly respected in Toyota circles, so I just did the plastic millionaire routine. Next time I do gears, I'm just buying the tools and doing it on the bench, though.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Just to echo what everyone has said, but I agree so strongly that here I go:
I think the rear locker and front A-trac is ideal. Especially YOUR front A-trac. The first generation A-trac on mine isn't as good, but it still works great with a rear locker.
On the 3rd gen 4runner they started the "second" generation A-trac as you know and it was more advanced and worked better.
If my A-trac didn't up and die 6 months ago I would have just gotten the rear locker.
I thinkt he front A-trac will keep you from snapping axles in the front where as I will need to be more careful about where I use the front so as not to hurt anything! :1888fbbd: :coffeedrink:

Edit: one thing though, the dual lockers ARE impressive. I can go slower than I ever imagined up things and it just keeps going.

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Lock the rear and front eventually, cause it's not about always needing it but when your going to need it, just like 4wd. Plus lets say you want to do some harder trails some day, the front locker takes some stress off other components by keeping and providing better traction avoiding having to spin tires, bump obstacles, slip off obstacles, and it makes some hard trails a little easier. The rear is a great start though.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yep, I like having a front locker, had one in my Rubicon. Have put lockers to good use in Moab. Currently trying to justify saving some money and doing less tampering with what Toyota originally assembled, and if I want/need lower gears than the stock 3.73 while I’m in there (3.52 first gear is pretty good for an A/T). Regarding lower gears: ‘want them’ probably; ‘need them’ probably not ☺

taco chaser said:
Lock the rear and front eventually, cause it's not about always needing it but when your going to need it, just like 4wd. Plus lets say you want to do some harder trails some day, the front locker takes some stress off other components by keeping and providing better traction avoiding having to spin tires, bump obstacles, slip off obstacles, and it makes some hard trails a little easier. The rear is a great start though.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
SinCity4r said:
He doesn't have lockers.. I believe he was just talking about having the center diff locked.

Hey Joel!!!! Thanks for the correction. I saw that Expat said that he left his "diff lock switch" on and I thought it was an ARB in the front axle. I don't see how a Toyota center diff lock actually led to him breaking his axle bracket and then the axle. Very weird. Maybe just a weak bracket?

Sorry to others for the misinformation although the thread is an interesting read.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yeah, that is even more disturbing that he broke from only having the T-case "locked" which just makes it a regular 'part-time' 4WD.

Maybe there was a lot of throttle involved?

teotwaki said:
Hey Joel!!!! Thanks for the correction. I saw that Expat said that he left his "diff lock switch" on and I thought it was an ARB in the front axle. I don't see how a Toyota center diff lock actually led to him breaking his axle bracket and then the axle. Very weird. Maybe just a weak bracket?

Sorry to others for the misinformation although the thread is an interesting read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior