Locker Talk............

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

I understand how "ARB" works..........are you trying to sell an......."ARB"..........?

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin

Observer
SWR...after reading the details on the Aussie Locker it seems to have many benefits that may suit your needs. After thier feedback and the info you found on the site, my next step would be to see if you can find anyone who has bought and used one on a similar vehicle (86-95 IFS) to see what thier experience has been. In Theory it sounds practical. Again, as always it all boils down to how much $$ you want drop.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Scenic WonderRunner said:
I understand how "ARB" works..........are you trying to sell an......."ARB".........

Your comment eluded otherwise. Some don't realise the benefits of selectable lockers, including the ability to un-bind the front axle in turning. ;)

Not trying to sell anything, just trying to remove popular stereotypes as previously mentioned. ;)

You might know what an ARB does, but your statement might confuse the next guy that reads the thread. As a point we do sell ARB's, as well as just about every other type of locker as we have for 15+ years now... Not sure why you had to edit your post to point that out?

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Who is running a "Lunch Box Locker" (aka Lockrite, Aussie, Detroit, etc.).........and what have been the pro's and con's for you?

BMAN

Adventurer
I run ARB's in my 40. That said, I wouldn't be without them. I like the option of selectability on the fly. With my wheelbase, when i start to loose traction the rig will start to hop a little. The fact that I can reach down and at the flip of a switch gain traction to continue on my way is invaluable to me.

My 60 on the otherhand is equipped with lockrights at both axles. I am yet to drive this truck but once completed it will take a very short period of time for me to decide if I like them or not. Because this truck will see a whole lot more road miles than the 40 ever will I tend to believe that I will prefer the ARB's and have pretty much decided that if this is the case a swap will happen sooner than later.

I have a lockright for sale right now that was in a box of stuff that I got with the 40, unfortunately it won't work for your application.

My vote... selectable.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

BMAN!

Thanks for taking the time to give your input!

ARB Locker at Work............

arb_animatedlocker_a.gif

xiero

First post here - very informative site...

My take is as follows:

I've had an Aussie in the rear of one of my vehicles - loved it. I'm in the process of building an FJ40 now, and I bought 2 Aussies. I've researched this a lot, and as is typical, those who have an Aussie in the front swear by it, those with selectables, do as well.

I understand turning can be interesting, but it is possible, and you can play with locking/unlocking the hubs - one at a time, or both.

The common advice is, if you can afford selectable, get it, if not, go with an auto. My decision was to go auto up front, if I don't like it, I'll be calling Kurt for an ARB. Aussies are EASY to get rid of, without much of a loss - they are a great locker.

I'm planning to install mine this week, after I have, I'll post up with my impressions.

Again, great site!

:beer:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

xiero said:

My take is as follows:

I've had an Aussie in the rear of one of my vehicles - loved it. I'm in the process of building an FJ40 now, and I bought 2 Aussies. I've researched this a lot, and as is typical, those who have an Aussie in the front swear by it, those with selectables, do as well.

I understand turning can be interesting, but it is possible, and you can play with locking/unlocking the hubs - one at a time, or both.

The common advice is, if you can afford selectable, get it, if not, go with an auto. My decision was to go auto up front, if I don't like it, I'll be calling Kurt for an ARB. Aussies are EASY to get rid of, without much of a loss - they are a great locker.

I'm planning to install mine this week, after I have, I'll post up with my impressions.

Again, great site!

:beer:

Yeah! ......another Aussie Lover!

Thanks for your input.

I look forward to hearing how they work for you!

..........Plus!.....you can't beat those Aussie Women!:ylsmoke:

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
xiero said:
My decision was to go auto up front, if I don't like it, I'll be calling Kurt for an ARB.

I take it by this comment your in the SoCal area?

xiero

awalter said:
xiero said:
My decision was to go auto up front, if I don't like it, I'll be calling Kurt for an ARB.

I take it by this comment your in the SoCal area?

Nope.

Ut, Kurt is only a 20 minute drive. :D

S

Scenic WonderRunner

FYI..........

Yesterday I spoke with the "top dog" in San Diego for diff's/gear's/lockers, etc.

Mark at Pro Gear

I explained to Mark about my wanting at least a rear locker and asked about the pro's and con's of an Aussie and the like. He put me up a few notches in his book when I told him I was an ex big rig truck driver. He felt I would have no problem dealing with the oddities that a lunchbox locker creates.

He recomended that I do NOT get an ARB system due in part to the maint. issue's, among others. He does not like them.

Then I asked him about installing a new TRD electric locking 3rd member in my 1st gen 4Runner. He said he could do it.....but because of the modifications needed to do it, this could cause problems down the road.

Then he sounded excited when he told me I should just get a complete axle/ locking 3rd out of a newer Toyota truck......and just install the whole axle on my truck.

Some negatives I have found in using a newer axle complete could be......

1. Axle width is wider than my current stock 1st gen. axle?

2. Spring/shock perches or whole suspension is different?

..........Any Thoughts?

Mark likes the idea of using the Toyota Electric locker and says this is the best way to go.

Mark at Pro Gear sounds like a great guy.........he told me that he even does most of this type of work for Jim at ProTrux. Give him a call if you have any questions.......he is very friendly and helpful!

Ron B

Explorer
there's a bunch of info on the Detroit (just bought one for my truck -- not installed yet) on www.flashoffroad.com, click on "tech info" then look under "drivetrain". Should answer some questions. Enjoy

Ron B

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
He recomended that I do NOT get an ARB system due in part to the maint. issue's, among others.

Did he explain this maint issue in any detail that you can share?

:::

I noticed Inchworm has electric lockers ready for install

:::

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Desertdude said:
Did he explain this maint issue in any detail that you can share?...

Ditto!

And what modifications to fit the OEM E-Locker are going to give you future problems?

Just trying to stay informed... :gunt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles