Locking a RTT to top of car

DiscoCO

Observer
For anyone leaving there RTT on their car permanently are you locking it in any way? I realize it's not a quick release, but removing 8 nuts is really all it takes to walk away with a fairly expensive tent.

Has anyone come up with a solution to make the tent more difficult to steal?

Thanks!

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
my rtt sits at 7' on top of my rig.... that might be a deterrent.
as stated if they want it they will take it....hell they might take the whole rig...
MacMasterCarr also sells some thef resistant nuts.

DiscoCO

Observer
Thanks for the links! I do think some of those tamper-resistant nuts might work well. I realize it's only a minor deterrent, but it's at least marginally challenging to remove.

My tent sits at 7' or so as well, but comes off the truck after each trip. I have a friend who just installed a tent on her Subaru Outback that sits outside in front of a condo every night so it's a bit more easily accessible.

Thanks again!

pray4surf

Explorer
Has anyone ever had their RTT stolen? I can't recall ever hearing such a thing. You are right, most are bolted on with just a handful of bolts/nuts. I'm afraid any theft would not be a crime of opportunity, as it would take more than one person (typically) to remove the RTT. But leave it parked regularly in an unsecured area and all bets are off...

With the general ease to absconding with the entire truck, I'm more fearful of once again waking to an empty parking spot where I had left my truck the night before...

Locking nuts might deter the average Joe, but not someone intent on relieving you of your possession(s).

Come up with a rube goldberg style of mount (like mine) and now there are 16 bolts/nuts to deal with and then the RTT must be lifted vertically 3-4" to clear the rack. Even so, 15 well planned minutes of effort and *poof* it's gone with the wind - be simpler to relieve the truck of the bed rack and RTT in one fell swoop... though it'd require the concerted effort of 3-4 bodies.

enzo

Explorer
Most people don't know what a RTT is let alone want to figure out how to remove one. It would take a group of people to remove mine as it's hard as hell to get between the rack and the roof of the FJ. Id be more worried about someone stealing my spare or an antenna that my RTT.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
We sell the TuffNut security kit for our standard mounting hardware. In the years that I have been dealing in Roof Top Tents, only one tent has been reported stolen - and in that case the entire vehicle was stolen.

Eric S.

Adventurer
Has anyone ever had their RTT stolen? I can't recall ever hearing such a thing. ....

I would think they would most often be stolen with the whole vehicle. I know of one stolen around where that twas attached to a Nissan Pathfinder.
If you are concerned pick-up some "tamper proof" hardware. Then focus on you vehicle security.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94