Logan's gen 2 V8 desert runner build

Loganshero

I bought my Montero in November of last year with 185k on it for pretty cheap. Took it out to the desert with us camping to test it out and loved it. I hit that thing super hard all weekend and the family loved it. Needless to say we had to get it towed home. But it passed the test. Only thing missing was more hp on the big dunes and better suspension. So I'm gonna sink a few bucks into it.

Loganshero

Knowing I needed more hp I knew I didn't want to rebuild my motor. I did hours of research on this forum and others and decided to do the Lexus 1uz swap with vvti. I found a jdm motor and trans nearby with around 60k so I went and picked it up. It's gonna be a snug fit.IMG_20200122_171929219.jpg

Loganshero

I found a Lexus sc400 at a nearby pick a part yesterday so I cancelled my plans to fix my kids dresser and drove out there. Only US car that I know of to get a rear sump pan out of and they are not too common. What a PITA that was to get out by myself with no jack and limited tools. 4 hours later and lots of curse words I got it. Also scored some dirty ass 3rd row Montero seats for my kids.IMG_20200125_144933526.jpg

Loganshero

Damnit I was taking my old pan off and realized I forgot the oil pan splash guard at the junkyard. I know right where I set it so I wouldn't forget it. Hopefully it'll still be there tomorrow

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Neat! Doing this swap as well, what is your plan for transmission and T-case?

Loganshero

I'm using my stock tranny and transfer case with the Toyota input shaft, torque converter and bellhousing. Think I can get it to communicate with Toyota ecu

Toasty

It's possible, hopefully someone has done it before. Otherwise your ECU is going to be looking for an A650 and throwing a fit about it.

***ALSO i just noticed your original engine is a DOHC which means you only have 1 speed sensor on the transmission, even the 4 speed 1UZ cars have 2 speed sensors on their A340 transmissions. So not only do you need to trick the ECU/TCU to modulate the shifting you're going to need to simulate a speed signal for it to see so it doesn't freak out still. Try Dakota Digital, you may be able to figure out what it wants to see in relation to the sensor your transmission has (insert MATH) and simulate the second signal to make it happy.***

OR get a 1UZ VVT-i A650 simulator for use with a maual trans except splice in the Montero Aisin TCU into the 1UZ VVT-i harness (TPS and temp) and let the stock TCU control the AW3.

OR do a NON VVT-i with a later Gen 2 (Gen 2.5) transmission, because all that stuff works happily together.

OR OR OR! Swap in an A650 because they work much better anyways.

Loganshero

Thanks for all info toasty. Getting this thing wired up and reading correctly is what I am dreading the most. After I get all the maintenance done on my vvti I am going to try and get it running at least on the stand and then go from there. Thanks again that's why I'm doing this build thread to gain knowledge from members like you

Toasty

If I get wiring done before you I'll post a diagram and notes, won't be the same as yours but some things will carry over. You should be able to down convert my harness from my diagrams assuming you have the electrical manual for your SR. The stuff you're on your own with is getting the ECU to be happy with your transmission.

**If you decide to go A650, let me know. The guy who machined my T-case adapter has one more on the shelf for $850.**

Loganshero

IMG_20200221_165832141.jpgIMG_20200221_174420584.jpgWell we've been gone these past few weekends and I've been busy with work work and numerous other projects so I haven't got anything done. I'm hoping to set the motor in sometime in the next few days to see how it fits before I take it apart to freshen it up. Found some seats for the kiddos from the junkyard when I got the pan. They were not impressed.

Loganshero

I did a leak down test on my motor today and I have 2 cylinders that are leaking thru on the intake valves. I tried cleaning them out with air and pb blaster with no luck. You guys think it will be ok once I get it running and heated up? I want to start tearing this motor apart to change timing belt, water pump, main seals, tensioner pulley, and thermostat. Anything else i should change while I'm at it? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz