"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Nope, the PO just put smaller tires on it for some reason.

Damn! Otherwise you would be set for quite awhile!

I would get the 265/75 tires before the lift, as you will see all that space and 255/85 will be calling your name.

I was gonna ask if you even need a lift to go with the 265/75s but you're truck is almost 10 years old so it likely could do for a refresh anyways, might as well get a load rating bump at the same time.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
If you want to know what your truck will look like with an ARB, look no further than the thread on my old one. I am sick over selling mine.. and you're making it worse!

Looks good man. I know you'll enjoy it! Those trucks are surprisingly comfortable (and fast!).

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice truck, congrats! I like your plan for mods/upgrades too; purposeful and effective.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Damn! Otherwise you would be set for quite awhile!

I would get the 265/75 tires before the lift, as you will see all that space and 255/85 will be calling your name.

I was gonna ask if you even need a lift to go with the 265/75s but you're truck is almost 10 years old so it likely could do for a refresh anyways, might as well get a load rating bump at the same time.

Haha you know now that I keep looking at it, I might be wanting tires sooner than I had thought... I might have a good idea to keep the cost absolutely minimal. There's a used tire shop near me, and I might be able to negotiate a trade with my really nice tires for some 265/75s in good shape. I keep thinking about how I need to lift the belly off the dirt a little bit.

Nice truck, hopefully it serves you well, and I'm looking forward to the mods. :sombrero:

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to doing them too!

If you want to know what your truck will look like with an ARB, look no further than the thread on my old one. I am sick over selling mine.. and you're making it worse!

Looks good man. I know you'll enjoy it! Those trucks are surprisingly comfortable (and fast!).

Haha I keep staring at the pics of yours with the ARB, tires, and lift. I want my truck to sit exactly like yours did. It should look nearly identical. I might just get the ReadyLift or Nisstec cheapo kit to get me a little taller for now so I can have some room to move on the trails this summer.

Thanks man!

Nice truck, congrats! I like your plan for mods/upgrades too; purposeful and effective.

Thanks stioc. I am really in love with it already. It's such a nice vehicle to drive. I'm at the point now where I know the kinds of places I want to go and what it will take to get me there, so I see no reason to overdo it.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I hear you, for what most of us do the typical ExPO trucks are modified. KISS is good but then again sometimes you get bored and want to do something new/different so I do understand the next-mod bug.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I would avoid going a cheap route just for the summer you will regret it later.

It's one thing keeping a stock sized tire for awhile but it's another thing entirely when the tires are a size smaller than they should be!

Used tire shop could work and maybe even craigslist etc might have a good set of 265 75s as it is a very popular size.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I would avoid going a cheap route just for the summer you will regret it later.

It's one thing keeping a stock sized tire for awhile but it's another thing entirely when the tires are a size smaller than they should be!

Used tire shop could work and maybe even craigslist etc might have a good set of 265 75s as it is a very popular size.

I hear you there. My thought on the temporary suspension was that it would be extremely cheap (less than $300) and very easy to install. That being said it wold take away from what I'd be able to afford down the line. So there are pros and cons. I haven't really decided what I want to do.

That's the funny thing too, the tires are smaller than they should be! I would be less worried about it if they were at least the right size. Then I just wouldn't worry at all about tires. But alas, I am not that lucky. Most likely I'll just run these little guys and pick my lines carefully this summer, then buy tires and a bumper in a couple months.

Unfortunately after talking with the tire shop and checking CL, I don't know that I'll be able to find any decent used tires the right size. Oh well, I'll just have to be patient.

skibum315

Explorer
Dang it, wreckdiver ... now you've got me thinking about swapping my X for a new(ish) DCSB Frontier. ::shakesfist::

... ah well, it's always something, isn't it?

On the tires: the 265/70 size isn't *that* small, especially if they're an aggressive tread ... that's the stock size on everything except for the OR/Pro-4X, at least on the Xterras. For the 265/75s you have to step up to the OR/P4X. If you can get away sticking with the 265/75s, when you do upgrade, I think you're going to be a lot better off from an efficiency perspective ... that additional rotating mass from going to a 285/75 or a 255/85 is (*I* think) what really starts to kill the MPGs, especially with the lower (numerical) gearing that the ATs have.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great find. Im looking forward to the built and great choice on mods as well.

Thanks Marty! Stay tuned.

Dang it, wreckdiver ... now you've got me thinking about swapping my X for a new(ish) DCSB Frontier. ::shakesfist::

... ah well, it's always something, isn't it?

On the tires: the 265/70 size isn't *that* small, especially if they're an aggressive tread ... that's the stock size on everything except for the OR/Pro-4X, at least on the Xterras. For the 265/75s you have to step up to the OR/P4X. If you can get away sticking with the 265/75s, when you do upgrade, I think you're going to be a lot better off from an efficiency perspective ... that additional rotating mass from going to a 285/75 or a 255/85 is (*I* think) what really starts to kill the MPGs, especially with the lower (numerical) gearing that the ATs have.

Hehehehe sorry to add to your troubles :D

I know it's not a super small tire, it's still a 30. And I have a really good tread with tons of life left. They'll be fine for a while. I do plan on sticking to the 265/75 size when I upgrade. I absolutely love the way a 265/75 looks on a gen 2 with around 2" of lift. 33s start to look a tad silly to me, depending on the tire. Also, as you said, the efficiency is way better when sticking to a 32. So in short, that's my plan :)

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Thanks Marty! Stay tuned.

Hehehehe sorry to add to your troubles :D

I know it's not a super small tire, it's still a 30. And I have a really good tread with tons of life left. They'll be fine for a while. I do plan on sticking to the 265/75 size when I upgrade. I absolutely love the way a 265/75 looks on a gen 2 with around 2" of lift. 33s start to look a tad silly to me, depending on the tire. Also, as you said, the efficiency is way better when sticking to a 32. So in short, that's my plan :)

My Frontier could still do 19ish on a 2 lane highway (running around 60 MPH) with the lift, ARB, and 265/75s. It's easy to see how you can get awful mileage with these trucks as they are very eager to rev and take off, but if you drive sensibly then you should have no major loss with the upgrades.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
YESSSSS!!!!! Im glad you finally got it Tom! That is so cool! I cant wait to see this progress. I know its going to be my new favorite on the Nissan side ( as long as JPVM and the Italian Y61 don't post too much ;) )
`
Cheers! :wings: :friday:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
My Frontier could still do 19ish on a 2 lane highway (running around 60 MPH) with the lift, ARB, and 265/75s. It's easy to see how you can get awful mileage with these trucks as they are very eager to rev and take off, but if you drive sensibly then you should have no major loss with the upgrades.

Great point here. With all the power at the control of your right foot, it's easy to rocket around town. I know I've been :D

YESSSSS!!!!! Im glad you finally got it Tom! That is so cool! I cant wait to see this progress. I know its going to be my new favorite on the Nissan side ( as long as JPVM and the Italian Y61 don't post too much ;) )
`
Cheers! :wings: :friday:

Thanks Kyle, I'm super excited! Stay tuned for more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste