Long Range America replacement tank for 80 series

jgallo1

Adventurer
I am curious if any expo members are using the Long Range America replacement tanks for 80 series if so the pros and cons.
I have read a few accounts of the auxiliary tank.
I am interested in the replacement tank.
Thanks

lugueto

Adventurer
I havent used the Long Range America tank per se, but I've had both aux tanks and long range main tanks in a few vehicles now and there's definitely a few pros and cons to each.

Fuel shortages down here make modified fuel tanks almost a necessity for travel, so we usually have a LOT of fuel on board. Which option I decided to install depended on the vehicle, but I've had a few 37 gallon main tanks, and aux tanks ranging from 16 gallons to my current setupof a 37 gallon aux tank. A few friend of mine have even installed both for a crazy 79 gallons of fuel on board.

Pros and cons are pretty obvious, here's my take. Long range tanks are much lighter and much simpler. Weight is centered between the axles, no overhang on the rear, no need for a rear bumper and swingaway, no need for a pump, sending unit or gauge. They will carry less fuel, obviously. That's pretty much it. An aux tank setup will carry at least 40% more fuel, but at the cost of much more weight and complexity.

Now these tanks are usually super well made and will last the life of the vehicle, the electrical systems and fuel lines have to be carefully made to match the quality but that's a matter of finding the right technician.

I personally think that when you're used to having longer range, you always appreciate it. Maybe you don't have a true necessity for it, this is especially true for the states where fuel availability is ubiquitous, but you will reduce fuel stops and won't have to carry a few jerry cans around of fill them up if you ever need them. They're alsogreat if you live in a hurricane zone or something similar where you can have a couple of events where fuel will be scarce for a short period of time.

The decision between the two will obviously boil down to really how much range you need. I believe you don't need much in the States. And I would advise to try and keep the tank as small as possible in order to have the lightest vehicle possible. I personally carry 58 gallons of fuel in my vehicle, for about 1000 miles of range. If things were different, I'd ditch the aux tank and rear bumper and install a 37 gallon main tank and be much lighter, but for now I have to carry the extra weight like it or not.

I hope this helps

jgallo1

Adventurer
@lugueto Thanks for the feedback.
You are correct about the gas stations being very accessible. It's not common but a few places and routes out west have pretty good stretches with no pumps.
My cruiser is still stock and has been getting a good amount of drive time lately. I feel like I am at the pump every other day. I can only imagine how much I will be stopping once I change a few things. I do live about 10 miles out of town. If I leave the house, I am usually doing 25-50 miles which has me at the pump every couple of days. I am thinking that a replacement tank will be a nice addition.

lugueto

Adventurer
Well 16 extra gallons does go a long way. Its about 75% more fuel and subsequently that much more range. With an 80, I'd say you go from doing about 250 miles per tank to about 450 with a replacement tank.

I've always said extended range is, at best, extremely convenient. At worst, its a lifesaver. Its one of those things that once you've had, you don't know how to go back or why you didn't do it sooner.

Sure, its an expensive mod, and fuel stops get expensive as well, but these days I wouldn't consider a vehicle that I can't fit a modified tank of some sort to buy for my use.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I am curious if any expo members are using the Long Range America replacement tanks for 80 series if so the pros and cons.
I have read a few accounts of the auxiliary tank.
I am interested in the replacement tank.
Thanks
My J80 was 11mpg on a good day. I only did a couple of long trips and decided it was a pretty lousy long trip rig. I could have had my Buddy tow it with his f150 and had better mileage and range in the F150?.
Here’s the best J80 Americas fuel tank. 82E6D8EA-CCA1-4454-ADD8-2ED0629962D7.png

mmajsw

I replaced my factory stock tank with a 38 gallon LRA replacement. I was going to do the aux tank behind the rear axle, but did not want to have that much extra weight hanging there, in addition to a custom bumper, with spare tire and 3 Scepter gas tanks.
The pros are longer range, ability to fill up at cheaper stations and compatibility with the factory fuel system. Cons are the cost, hangs below the frame and closer to the driveshaft. Installation was a two man job and took about 3 hrs in the driveway. Overall, I do not notice any change in ride and I am still considering the 24 gallon auxiliary tank, but would keep it empty until needed.
These days, the cost is about 2.2k and rising. A cheaper alternative would be high quality Wavian metal or Scepter plastic cans. Use them when you need them and store them when you don't. Many mounting options out there.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Great info here on this thread.

About 5 years ago I went on an amazing trip through Utah and Nevada with some other 80 series cruisers. One of us had an auxiliary tank. Guess what, he could only go as far as the guy with the least amount of gas. That was an interesting observation. We chatted about that around a camp fire. Basically he said it's great and loves it, but really it's only a benefit when he is solo. if he is with a group, there's no advantage to him if everyone else is running out of gas.

The entire trip the rest of us were hauling jerry cans and dumping them in on occasion, but he was hauling more water and food!

MOAK

Adventurer
I just took my first trip after having installed a 24 gallon LRA auxiliary transfer tank. Cons? Cost, yikes! And the need to upgrade to 864 rear springs. Pros? This should have been done years ago. ( I used to carry two 5 gallon jerrys, and a 6 gallon flat tank up on the roof rack which had to be moved into a Jerry can in order to dispense, and gave us about a 280 mile range off highway.) The luxury of pumping fuel with the push of a button instead of having to dump Jerry cans into the tank is immeasurable. We now have about a 425 mile range off highway. On highway I begin looking for gas at 450 miles. Now, if you do not wander so far off the beaten path, then an LRA may not be for you. The tipping point for us was our exploration of the AZ strip a year & 1/2 ago. We were able to go down to Kelly’s point, camp for a few nights, then be very careful not to explore too much out of the way places coming back out.

lugueto

Adventurer

About 5 years ago I went on an amazing trip through Utah and Nevada with some other 80 series cruisers. One of us had an auxiliary tank. Guess what, he could only go as far as the guy with the least amount of gas. That was an interesting observation. We chatted about that around a camp fire. Basically he said it's great and loves it, but really it's only a benefit when he is solo. if he is with a group, there's no advantage to him if everyone else is running out of gas.

The entire trip the rest of us were hauling jerry cans and dumping them in on occasion, but he was hauling more water and food!

This is very true. You won't save time unless you're driving solo or driving with people who have the same range as you. You will, however, reduce the risk of filling up poor quality gas from far-out gas stations that the other's will be forced to use, so that may be a plus depending on where you live.

These days, every single person I travel with have long-range tanks. And when someone comes by that doesn't, we simply plan accordingly. The latter is, however, seen as an inconvenience these days lol.

This should have been done years ago.

This is also a common thought. Sure it seems like a heavy mod, and one you should carefully consider, but when you have a vehicle with incredible range,you won't be at peace driving a vehicle with "regular" range. You'll wonder how people travel without it and such...

jgallo1

Adventurer

that is a great point

jgallo1

Adventurer
my daily driver is my 2019 f250 diesel.
I am used to getting around 525 miles to a tank.
I have had quite a few older Toyota trucks and know the limitations of fuel range.
Man, it's nice to not go to the pump every few days. Yes on trips, it is even better.
I am sure I will end up replacing the tank on the 80.
Looking forward to getting the truck back from the shop and going on some trips to see what's what.

tplane2

I have a 24 gal LRA tank in my 80.

Pros: I think you know these by now, but not having to worry with jerry cans and the space they take up is really really nice. Especially if you mount them high. Thats for the birds.

Cons: Spare tire has to be relocated. Most people will have a 35 and higher so this doesn't apply, but if you're on 33s then you gotta find a spot for it.
Weight is a factor, yes, but I've done the Rubicon with my tank full it performed perfectly fine. Much better than it would have if I had Jerrys mounted on a roof rack or rear bumper.

MOAK

Adventurer
I have a 24 gal LRA tank in my 80.

Pros: I think you know these by now, but not having to worry with jerry cans and the space they take up is really really nice. Especially if you mount them high. Thats for the birds.

Cons: Spare tire has to be relocated. Most people will have a 35 and higher so this doesn't apply, but if you're on 33s then you gotta find a spot for it.
Weight is a factor, yes, but I've done the Rubicon with my tank full it performed perfectly fine. Much better than it would have if I had Jerrys mounted on a roof rack or rear bumper.
I’m thinking of upgrading the 863 springs to 864s. That should get rid of the sag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier