Long road trip to arctic circle, tire reliability?

FJR Colorado

Explorer
The Dempster is fairly smooth. But yes, I'd bring 2x full spares. That way if you lose 1x you're not in panic mode about losing another. I'd also bring a compressor (one integrated into a battery jumper pack is likely sufficient albeit slow) and the fix-it kit for a tubeless tire.

Do make sure you get a very thorough underbelly wash once you get back to Fairbanks. They use all kinds of goopy chemicals to keep the road intact. That's the main reason most rental car companies forbid you from taking their vehicles on it.

Plan on bringing plenty of extra gas. As I'm sure you know, The Demp' has the longest stretch of no services on any road in N. America.

You can buy gas in Coldfoot and Prudhoe Bay but it's absurdly expensive... even though you are driving to one of the richest energy reserves on Earth, the nearest refinery is in Nikiski (or about 800 miles south of where you're headed).

Of course, The MilePost is your friend.

Best of luck and do post a full report.

PS- In the Fall, the colors can be spectacular. I had no idea AK had that kind of color. Of course "Fall" means Labor Day Weekend...

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Has anyone realized that this thread was started over 1 1/2 years ago. I hope the OP has already made the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke