Looking at a 4wd van, need some advice

awd

Wow, what an awesome thread and amazing van. Thank you for sharing everything you have done.

Bigfeet

Was about to post the same. Love reading through threads like this, very inspiring even though I don't have the knowledge or tools to dive deep into dream projects for my van... its still fun to see what others are doing and what can be done.

ert01

Adventurer
Thanks guys!

Pictures from today:

38819c97e0ad0d01397889fac6367b8f.jpg

c5e49f95e19b75dcbb9f86a11889de3b.jpg

3e788b9a00388c39c4547dfb99608676.jpg

dc07a2e82f810e8e7ab3a745f44fe05f.jpg

9cfcd3cbacdcc07a2ada7c86e9111363.jpg

I'll weld those aluminum plates to the bumper later... I have a a welder and spoolgun to do it, but it's all in storage at my brothers house for now until I find the right acreage for my shop (we're just renting right now while we search for a suitable property).

They're just screwed to the bumper right now but they're quite solid. And the pin slides up the ramp really easily! It all feels quite secure and solid. I'll be brainstorming for a while though to try and come up with a better way to mount the pin assembly onto the round tubes of the swing arms a bit better...

Last edited:

GNTY

Adventurer
Haven't had a chance to install the running boards yet eh?
That's my old rear bumper 😉

ert01

Adventurer
Haha nope. Been too busy with that silly oil leak and snowboarding :) but with this awesome weather we're having, I expect to find some time this weekend to get em on there.

Small world! It was a bit banged up when I first got it but I straightened the dings out and re-welded one seam that had split. I got such an awesome deal on it that I couldn't pass it up. And it was local as a bonus!

ert01

Adventurer
Got a little more work done recently that I forgot to post here... I put it up over on thedieselstop but I'll copy it here now:

I received my bpalmer intake today and got it installed... Here's how I did mine:

To start, I didn't like the hose-clamp idea for mounting the IAT sensor... It doesn't really put the sensing element in the air stream so I knew in advance that I needed to adjust the way it mounts. So I started by cutting off the nipple that was welded into the tube and then drilled the hole out bigger:

11bc0cfc0d2bfffb0301b6f9eb8cd4f0.jpg

Then I had to make a hole shaped like this:
1d0a75b93558e89c8576f90402fc41e6.jpg

So I drilled it out and went at it with a file to create the right shape:
6fbe523a2293d5965de8eabbfd20ef1f.jpg

Test fitting the IAT sensor showed my concept works except the aluminum is a bit thinner than the factory plastic airbox so I needed to come up with a way to secure the sensor a bit better:
07719d4896bcd6c23a2f51494b9e9143.jpg

Here's the IAT sensor totally unmodified:
0fec383572a4a3d0363a30445edb45c7.jpg

All I needed to do was drop another O-Ring over it (stack 2 o-rings...1 new bigger one and still use the stock one) before plugging it into the hole. I used a 13/16ID - 1-1/16OD o-ring for this and it works great.
24e139709b71a88408900778b7174265.jpg

3bcf6b565486056b6ff400977170326b.jpg

I cut the intake tube as per the instructions, but I also took the time to trim off some of the "ribs" that were on the outside of the stock air intake tube. This will allow the hose clamp to work better.
0c9da16ac0b1a05f64f39f442b66686b.jpg

I also trimmed the intake "Y" fitting a bit shorter on each side. This allows the new air filters to sit in line with the OEM air ductss a bit better. So to make a clean and square cut, I marked it with masking tape, then had at it with a zip disc and an angle grinder. Just had to clean up the edges with a file afterwards:
89f3ebcd470f4bc8a1a331f8ad91fc32.jpg

Trimmed:
9eba8e5a2e96b153386818d567fd519f.jpg

The next area that I could see that needed a little improvement was the inside of the coupling that attaches the venturi to the "Y". There was a ridge inside that that was about 3/16" tall:
1d277c7a802cf4f9f1f0cf10cfb67dae.jpg

A sharp knife made quick work of that air-restricting little piece of rubber:
409bf637a174a3c078f750fbe71b4c55.jpg

I painted the venturi black and installed the system:
279d34b529d3745cda4bc696ed95e805.jpg

Then I noticed the black plug on the front of the tube and thought it'd be a good spot to install the OEM filter restriction gauge... So I popped the gauge off the stock airbox and eyeballed it up...
b68bc764ca6392303a6859d835d6b9f6.jpg

I realized that I would have the same issue as I had with the IAT sensor... The new aluminum tube is thinner than the OEM airbox plastic. So I used a couple of o-rings and stacked them on it to make for a snug fit. I used a 13/16"ID and 1-1/16OD" o-ring as well as a 3/4" ID and 7/8" OD o-ring and stacked the 2 of them onto the filter gauge. I'm sure there's an o-ring out there that would allow you to do this with only 1 instead of stacking 2, but I didn't have it handy in my garage at the time of install :) I'll be keeping my eyes open for one though:
d071528a67636b20f4e05fa07999ebb2.jpg

It worked like a dream! Nice and snug fit and it's pretty secure on there.
176ca4d2aebc001f083945eee12a53fb.jpg

All done... For now :) I'm sure I'll be making more tweaks to the system as I go but so far I'm pretty happy. For the money, it's a good base to start building from. The kit doesn't have the fit and finish of a fancy AEM kit or K&N, but it's a fraction of the price and I really don't mind making these small adjustments to it.

I also did a hood-close test by taking a decent sized blob of kopr-kote and placing it on the high part of both filters. Then I closed the hood completely and opened it again to see if any of the kopr-kote transferred from the air filters to the hood. None did so that proves to me that the hood won't be squishing these filters down onto my radiator (which was always a slightly nagging concern I had before doing all this work).

I haven't test driven it yet as I finished up pretty late this evening (and I am waiting for my new EBP sensor to arrive). I'll post back with results once I get some wheel time in.

Also, I took some (rough) measurements of the filters:

Universal-filter-with-dimensions.gif

D = 3.5"
F = 3.5"
L = 5"
FL = 0.75"

And not shown on that diagram is the widest measurement... the base of the cone which measured at 4.75"

Using those measurements, I looked online for comparable filters from some of the bigger name manufacturers...
I found the K&N RU-3550, the Airaid 701-430 and the Volant 5115 to all be close dimensionally.

I was using these measurements because I'd like to buy some of the pre-filter wraps or socks for them. I found the K&N YA-3502PK would probably do the trick as well as the Airaid 799-430 and the Volant 51912.

I'll go shopping this week and see what is in stock locally. But I am leaning towards trying to find an Amsoil filter... my friend can get me killer deals on Amsoil stuff so I will see what my options are once I stop in at his shop and test-fit a few filters. I'll sell the filters that came in the kit locally to partially fund the purchase of some better filters.

Oh, and I'll have to snag a few t-clamps form work next time I'm near our hose shop :)

ert01

Adventurer
Also, I pulled my IDM out for some preventative maintenance...

I know they are prone to getting water in them and dying so I will open it up, seal the circuit board with a conformal coating of some sort and then re-seal the whole thing a bit better than the way OEM job was done. The water can leak in around the cover of the IDM but it can also come in the back of the IDM where the breather valve is. The factory released a service bulletin a long time ago that advised the mechanic to put a bit of foam tape above the breather vent. That would essentially re-direct any water that is flowing down the case away from the breather, rather than into it. I'll be doing something similar when I re-install the IDM.

I'm on the fence right now though about wether or not I should modify the IDM at all while I'm in there. Mine is the 120V version currently, so I wouldn't see the same gains as someone with the older 100V version would, but it might still be a worthwhile mod... BUT I really don't want to sacrifice reliability at all... And I haven't seen a lot of feedback online about the longevity of a modded IDM.

ert01

Adventurer
I didn't have as much free time this weekend as I would have liked but I did carve out a few minutes to install a cheap little pre-pump fuel filter:

e8f278253181278cc7275ec6de5a4bab.jpg

It's the Napa 3007 (same as Wix 33007 or Baldwin 7745).

I will install something bigger and better later but this will have to do for now. I have more important projects on my plate at the moment.

I also built a little aluminum table on the back of my aluminess swing-out:

7ccd5de39999beaeebdf5ad1ecd87c8e.jpg

5cb6d3f470cfdd7d2c5cb0f23d29d5ea.jpg

It's made from 1/8" aluminum. The hinge is also aluminum. I've had the piece cut out for a while now so all I really did today was rivet them on and make the cables.

ert01

Adventurer
Been getting more PM work done on the van lately...

I followed Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure and flushed out the old coolant and put in a fresh fill of CAT ELC (EC-1 rated) coolant. This stuff requires no SCA additives or maintenance and is supposed to last 600,000miles (1,000,000km). I was pretty excited to finish that task so I took it for a test drive and while I was on the highway, I heard a "poof" and saw a big cloud of spray and steam in my rearview mirror.... I quickly realized that I forgot to put the hose clamp on the lower rad hose... It drained all my new coolant in a hurry. So I had to refill the system AGAIN with new coolant. Oh well... lesson learned. Triple check EVERYTHING that you touched during maintenance work before hitting the road. I normally keep a checklist going while doing maintenance so that I don't forget stuff like this, but this time I just figured it was a simple coolant flush and that I could do it without the checklist. Oops.

I also replaced that little clear Napa 3007 with a better system... I used a GOLDENROD 570-3/4 filter head and a Napa 4348 filter. It's still installed pre-pump.

When I installed the filter, I filled it up with LiquiMoly Diesel Purge and ran that through the van today. Seems to be smoother, but it could just be snake oil and my imagination. Who knows... either way though, I plan to replace the fuel filter with every oil change, and also do the diesel purge every time too just to keep everything running smooth and happy.

ert01

Adventurer
Today I did some electrical work for a friend. As payment, I got to raid his stash of Amsoil stuff...

a519cd15d631ce6a1a08e9e5a02e3d58.jpg

The part numbers were (I think):
EAAU3570 for the filters
EAPF26 for the pre-filter covers

The filters are about an inch longer than the originals and they have an inverted cone filter in the tip. All the dimensions are otherwise very similar.

I also snagged a case of motorcycle oil for my SV650 :)

Abitibi

Explorer
The van has seen a LOT of use this winter! Many snowboarding trips and ice fishing trips under it's belt now... But I recently had an oil leak spring up so I had to dig into it and see what was going on so it's been parked for the last few weeks until I could find time to get at it.

This past weekend though, I was able to get outside and get a LOT of work done on the van.

I'll just copy my posts from thedieselstop.com below, but the list that I got done looks like this:

-Replace as many O-rings as possible (complete fuel bowl rebuild, fuel line seals, turbo o-rings) using dieselorings.com combo pack
-Clean out fuel bowl
-Clean EBP sensor and tube
-Install under-hood fuel pressure gauge, and Schrader test port
-Install HPX line
-Install Riffraff FRx system
-AIH delete (Riffraff plug and code eliminator wire)
-Resonator box delete
-Riffraff High Flow CVD fitting set
-Install Riffraff Plenum Reinforcements
-Silicone intake plenum boots and T-Clamps
-Install new Napa 4019 coolant filter base and Napa 4071 coolant filter
-Put it all back together and hope I fixed the oil leak that started this whole rabbit trail of upgrades... Hahaha
Hey neighbour, just read your entire thread this morning. Very nice! I picked up a few ideas along the way, thanks :)

While you had the fuel filter and a bunch of other stuff out, weren't you tempted to get rid of that stupid fuel filter and mount a remote one instead? Seems like it would have been a great time for it! (unless the FRX could no longer fit?)

Earlier in your thread you mentioned finding a Edge chip and not being impressed with its performance (but good for fuel economy). I just installed a DP Tuner chip in mine and my 7.3 feels more like a gas engine in a car! Huge difference in power with only the 80hp tune, love it! Food for thought :)

If you're ever visiting Vancouver get in touch, I also have your kids who love camping and know a few good places out of the grid.

Cheers
David

Last edited:

ert01

Adventurer
Haha thanks! I'll take you up on that offer for sure! We spent some time out your way last summer and had a really good time and I'm sure we will be back again in the near future. I'll hit you up before we come out and we can plan a lil get-together.

As for the Edge chip, I never got it installed. I think it was missing part of the wiring harness... I promptly threw it out and went with the TS 6-position chip instead. I'm quite happy with the TS, but I would love to get some better tunes flashed onto it rather than the generic ones it came with.

Regarding the fuel bowl setup... I was REALLY tempted to get rid of it, but I don't want to stray TOO far from a stock setup. I just want to be able to find parts for it anywhere in north america... If I'm on a trip and something breaks, I don't want to have to rely on getting something shipped from an aftermarket manufacturer. I'd rather just buy it at the local Napa and get back on with my vacation :)

That said, I did install a new fuel filter (with water drain) down on the frame rail by the transfer case. It uses the Napa 4348 spin-on filters and gives me a bit more protection. It should also make the OEM fuel filter up on the fuel bowl last a bit longer between change intervals.

ert01

Adventurer
Well people, it's been fun but I've gone and sold the van... It's moving on to greener pastures over in Saskatchewan.

As for me, well I've gone back to my trusty ol XJ... The vehicle that started this whole thing has drawn me back away.

In the end I just felt I had too much money and effort tied up into this van and yet it was still much less technically capable off-road than my jeep was. Yes, the van had room while traveling, but mileage wasn't much different than my jeep and my jeep is cheaper to fix than a one-off diesel 1 ton van.

We sold the van and bought a Fleetwood Cobalt tent trailer. I'll be building it up on some sort of independent suspension/airbag setup. After its all said and done, it will still be 1/5th the price that I got for the van, give us more room at camp and allow me to enjoy my XJ once again.

The extra money will go towards our new acreage we bought (I get to buy a tractor!! Wheee!!!) and likely a trip or two with the XJ and trailer.

Thanks for everyone's advice and guidance along the way. Vans will always have a special spot in my heart now and this is a good group van lovers.

philos

Explorer
Congrats :)
I'm actually getting darned close to selling my 7.3 in favor of something with less expensive maintenance... I feel you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier