Looking at a 91 FJ80 this weekend, need advice

arcteryx

Adventurer
Not accurate. The 93-97 all have a 1fz-fe. 93-94 OBD-1 95-97 OBD-II and airbags. 91-92 (FJ80) have a 3FE which is much slower but the iron head vs. the aluminum on the 1fz-fe is much less prone to head gasket failure. 93-97 (FZJ80) all have available diff locks as an option. Do not get a Trooper...the 91-97 Land Cruiser in any variant is a MUCH better option!

I think he was saying that mid year 1992-1993 the model changed. Yes, FJ80s are 91-92 and FZJs are 93-97. What the 3FE lacks in power in makes up in durability, reliability and simplicity. I have driven numerous cruisers and the 3FE does fine. As I tell people, it's a "LAND CRUISER" not a "LAND SPEEDER". If you want to go fast, buy a sports car. These are meant to get you from point A to point B regardless of terrain.

That said, I think the later 93 and 94 models are the best. Less electronics, no airbags but still give you all the creature comforts- e-lockers, manual seats if you want them etc. I have no empirical data to prove this, but I feel the 95-97 are more prone to HG failures than the 93-94 models. I have owned a 91 and a 97 and I purposely chose an e-locked 94. If you do go with a 95+, don't get a 97 or any LX450 as Mr T changed a lot of parts for those and they are MUCH more $$$.

To the OP, if you want to tow at all, get a FZJ. It's a 3500 vs 5000 tow capacity delta between the two.

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

I am nearing 400,000 original miles on my 92 with the 3FE. The biggest thing I have had to do mechanically on the engine was change out the injectors at 360,000 miles due to an old leaking gasket. However, it took less than one day. I daily drive this cruiser and take it on numerous overlanding trips each year and it never skips a beat. People seem to rag a lot on the lack of power, but honestly, the newer ones aren't that much more powerful...especially by today's standards.

Just test drive whatever you're looking at before purchasing to get a feel for how the vehicle drives. If you never plan to go bigger than 33s, 4.88 gearing would give it some good cruising power. Being in Texas too, I wouldn't really be too concerned. If you lived at a higher altitude, the 3FE would get annoying everyday.
image.jpg

Last edited:

fjtoyman

Not accurate. The 93-97 all have a 1fz-fe. 93-94 OBD-1 95-97 OBD-II and airbags. 91-92 (FJ80) have a 3FE which is much slower but the iron head vs. the aluminum on the 1fz-fe is much less prone to head gasket failure. 93-97 (FZJ80) all have available diff locks as an option. Do not get a Trooper...the 91-97 Land Cruiser in any variant is a MUCH better option!
Please tell me exactly what was not accurate. I could discuss the differences, good and bad all day, here I was pointing out some key differences between the two engines to a guy that doesn't know a 3F-E from a 1FZ-FE. You added some good detail, the OP would do well to do some research of his own to know the vehicle he's getting into. I've owned at least one of every iteration of the assortment of engines in the landcruiser. I like the 1FZ for what I need.
Be well, do good.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I will chip in here... I have a '92 3FE powered FJ80, have owned it now for almost 15 years, it was my daily driver for awhile, now it's my dedicated fun vehicle. Having done quite a bit of traveling and dirt adventures in the thing I will say the 3FE is a great motor for over landing. By that I mean, touring, taking in the scenery, chugging along in no particular hurry. The torque curve on these things are great as they make a healthy dose right down low where you want it when puttering about off-road. My frustrations related to power have only really fallen into two areas. Driving interstates, especially into a good headwind, while a stick FJ80 will have no problem rolling 80 on flat it's regard your mileage gets truly terrible because it is working pretty hard. Second, altitude, living in Colorado, specifically driving I70 I am pushing to keep 45mph when loaded at the top of Eisenhower. That isn't any fun since you become a rolling chicane even for the big rigs. At or close to sea level with 31's or 33's it is pretty much a non issue, especially if you don't need to travel fast on an interstate. Also, an FZJ80 would be better if you plan to put every piece of armor, kit and farkle tacked onto your truck. FJ80's are more sensitive to added weight due to the power.

Other key differences, the FZJ's had full floating rear axles, AND rear disc brakes, better braking system overall. The brakes on the FJ80 vs the FZJ are more of an issue to me versus the engine differences. Also the FZJ's had available front and rear e lockers, though they now demand a premium. You can probably throw in some ARB's for near the premium some demand.

Having had several FJ60's, I would say the FJ80 drives more similar to a 60, but with better gear it and a touch better acceleration, but a much better ride, comfort, and articulation. As mentioned by others, the 3FE will just keep going and going and lacks some of the issues that the later engine has. One thing to keep in mind though, since the 3FE was only used 2 years in the 80, some of the specific parts can be pricey, like downpipes for example.

I personally prefer the nature of the FJ over the FZJ and that's why I bought mine, and actually paid a premium for a mint one at the time. You can find some good deals on them vs comparable FZJ's and with those savings regear and add lockers and have a nice little rig that will go along just fine.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
There are some significant changes from the FJ80 (91-92) to the 1st gen FZJ80 (93-94) and 2nd FZJ's (95-97). The 91-94 share most of the interior and dash layout. It was refined in 95. With the 1FZ-FE engine came full floating rear axles (where the FJ's had semi floating), rear disk brakes, electric lockers, electronic transmission (early had an electronic version of the FJ62/FJ80 440 trans. The 95 (or maybe 96) got a refined trans with 2nd gear start capability. I think I'd like that in my 93 as first gear shifts about 10mph, so you have a slow launch unless you're WOT, then it's about 20mph.

m1ashooter

For what it's worth I paid $4500 for my 92 with 208000 miles. The guy let me pay it out for a while so I could have maybe got a little off the price if i had cash in hand. It's in pretty good condition and what I consider very clean for how old it is. No cracks in the dash, interior in good shape etc. It's stock other than a massive homemade bumper that someone before me installed. Yes it's slow and gets crappy mileage but that is why I also own a 2015 Camry XSE and 2015 Tacoma. I hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles