Looking at Defender 130 TD5. Anyone here with experience/advice as to these?

JCH4

Observer
Looking at a Defender 130 and would really like any advice/thoughts from anyone who has owned or used the 130. Would be a daily driver. Engine is a TD5. Canvas top over bed. I currently have two Series IIA and one Mercedes G500 my wife drives. I am not looking for another series type rig but rather a daily driver that I can outfit for expedition use. I usually have a lot of kit to store from tool bags, straps, hunting, etc. Any advice/experience appreciated.

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
There are a couple of 130's running around this forum, but my advice is to try here: http://www.aulro.com/afvb/90-110-130-defender-county/ The Australian Land Rover Owners' forum for Defenders, plenty of 130's there, and also a nice group of people (as all Defender owners are!). There are a number of threads if you look back a bit relating to the owners' experiences with lifting, suspension changes and the inevitable problem of factory-fresh build issues (etc.). Quite a few daily drivers as well.

Humphrey

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
We are finishing one currently, and here is a pic of a previous one we had- Great dd if you don't mind the length. I built drawers in the bed, pic also attached. The ride is nice for a Defender, but the ergonomics are the same. You are welcome to come take a look/see at ours, though not running yet, and just getting the body pieces back from the painter. In the end, about the same size as a F150 CC long bed, just a bit narrower.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 37

jgdisco2

Adventurer
We are finishing one currently, and here is a pic of a previous one we had- Great dd if you don't mind the length. I built drawers in the bed, pic also attached. The ride is nice for a Defender, but the ergonomics are the same. You are welcome to come take a look/see at ours, though not running yet, and just getting the body pieces back from the painter. In the end, about the same size as a F150 CC long bed, just a bit narrower.

That will always be my favorite rover that I've ever actually seen Dale! I can't wait to see the"new" one!

DividingCreek

Explorer
I drive a 130 as a daily and wouldn't have it any other way. I drive a lot of defenders,100's, and the 130 is my favorite.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Jonathon- not sure what will be coming to Safari as Iggy is sold and headed to Ok- will miss that Disco for sure!! Doubt the 130 will be ready, but never know ;-)

JCH4

Observer
What about visibility out of front windscreen in Defender v. a Series. I am 6'3 and its a problem on the Series. I know they raised it on the Defender but anyone my size know if they increased it enough?

jessejman

Adventurer
Is this the conniston green 130 that was totaled and sold at auction in Alabama about 6 months ago? I wondered who that one went to.

Nomad110

Does this truck have 235/85 R16's? It's very well done.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I too am 6'-3" and have no issues with the windscreen.
Not sure which you are referring to as the green one, but not mine for sure...

Nomad110

What size tires are on this truck?

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I've driven 130s a few times in Costa Rica. Perfect ww kayak trucks. They are long like a suburban, but a bit narrower and with better visibility out the front. Rear visibility, due to soft top, made for tough backing up--side mirrors only. Dicy in places like costa rica where parking lots tend to happen more than are designed.

Despite the fact that I'm getting close to 50, and I ought to be browsing the Porsche website daily, a 130 crew cab is, by far, my dream vehicle to have in the US.

DividingCreek

Explorer
The visibility sucks when the rear canvas is on. I agree with this. I hate the look of the side windows in the canvas so have the latest PVC with no side windows. I countered this problem with the 12 inch mirror arms and large convex mirrors. Its made all the difference in the world. http://www.paddockspares.com/da4409-unbreakable-convex-glass-mirror-with-290mm-arm.html

Here's a shot of my 130 @ Rausch Creek that shows the mirrors well

Attachments

• 130@rausch.jpg
    130@rausch.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 85

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles