Looking for Army soft sided oil drain pan to have on hand incase of emergencies.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Ok, it's kind of weird I don't know where to put this but general vehicle maintenance seems closest.
Back when I was in the Army, part of a wheeled vehicle maintenance unit we had these soft sided drain pans for emergencies. Basically if you're working on a vehicle and something unexpected started pouring a gallon of oil onto the ground you could grab these cheap, almost disposable oil catchers to throw under the truck to minimize the mess. We'd also slid them under vehicles waiting for work out in the motor pool if they had slow leaks to keep them from messing up the soil. Basically every wrecker vehicle had couple stashed somewhere they could be grabbed in a pinch.

I can't find anything remotely close to them online to show you a picture I'm afraid (or the old NSN).
They were made of fabric reinforced rubber or vinyl, like the stuff vinyl banners are made out of, but about 1/8th to 1/6th of an inch thick. About 2 feet per side with the corners stitched together to create sides that were about 4-5 inches tall. Seems like the bottoms also had a double bottom with sand or something in it to keep them heavy enough they laid flat and didn't blow away in the wind.
Because they weren't solid plastic or moulded rubber you could fold the sides in and kind of bend and fold them into skinny nooks and crannies out of the way until you needed them.

Having one today for a rough expedition in the middle of nowhere would be so handy. Just in case you heard your vehicle bottom out a little too hard, hopped out and checked under the vehicle to see if everything was ok, and saw a steady stream of fluid coming out of your oil pan or transmission pan. This way you could save as much fluid as possible instead of losing all 8 liters to the sand under the vehicle.

The closest alternative I've seen online are those fold-able camping wash basins like these. Which I may get as an alternative, but it would be cool to see if the real purpose made solution was available.
Multifunctional Collapsible Water Basin

D

Deleted member 9101

I would think that an environmental supply place would have it. Might be listed as some kind of oil/fuel containment thingy.

buellconvert

I know exactly what you're talking about and these are the only ones I can find that are close to what you're looking for, this site has a few other types too

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz