Looking for Chevy Astro swivel seat base

der

I'm definitely in the market for one of these. Johny5, do you foresee any more of these in coming in the future?

nonhog

Observer
Anyone tell me what bolts they used once the seat base(rivets) is ground off? (see post #47) Do they make grade 8 that small? I am making my own from full size GM van swivels. What a pain! Thanks!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Junk yard van swivel seat base and pedestal assembly I bought for $10.00 out of a 1990's conversion van.

Worked perfect for the conversion of a stationary front passenger seat into a swivel front passenger seat. The plate bolts to the floor with the seat and pedestal assembly removable if desired as it interlocks into the floor plate with the seat swivel at the top of the pedestal under the seat mount. My seat bolted right onto the seat pedestal. Hardest part of the installation was correctly positioning the floor plate for installation on the floor so the seat would completely swivel and face rearward without any obstructions.

There ought to be bunch of these seat swivels in dead conversion vans across the country at your local Pick a Part ripe for the "Pickin"!

Attachments

• 20190111_132733_resized.jpg
    20190111_132733_resized.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190111_132746_resized.jpg
    20190111_132746_resized.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190111_132841_resized.jpg
    20190111_132841_resized.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Anyone tell me what bolts they used once the seat base(rivets) is ground off? (see post #47) Do they make grade 8 that small? I am making my own from full size GM van swivels. What a pain! Thanks!

A very late answer since I missed this thread the first time around, but to add the info in case someone else is looking: I used Grade8 1/4-28 bolts. I would have liked to use bigger, but as you note, it's tight down in the tracks.

If you think you may have trouble getting a tool on the nut head with the tracks in the way, I've since found that McMaster-Carr also has square-head 1/4-20 bolts in grade8, which may or may not be easier to get a tool on.

WinnieVan

Hi Everyone -- per Facebook I believe Johny5 is out of the Astro base game. I have one of his bases and love it -- and have always wanted to design my own since so many other Astro owners have asked me where I got mine.

I'm working on a design right now to fill the gap - I'll also be developing a similar unit for the Savana/Express if you've upgrade to that van.

These will be laser cut and CNC bent -- right now they only exist on the computer -- but I am getting very close to prototyping and doing a production run.

PM me if you are interested -- the price will be similar to Johny's mounts... I'll update with more information periodically on the following thread. I'm aiming for early 2021 production -- as I'm just moving into the physical prototyping stage right now...

Designv4.JPGCapture.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier