Looking for feedback on flatbed trays.

danneskjold

It's just as easy to overload a 1 ton as a mid size. It's nothing but adding gear or parts.

I would say consider how long you will keep the truck, a few grand averaged out over 10 years is easier to stomach than over a couple of years.

I mean that’s definitely not true. Midsize truck payload is what, 1000 lbs? F250 payload is over 3000. So it’s like 2-3x as hard to overload it.

But I get your point - weight tends to add up quick.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
It's just as easy to overload a 1 ton as a mid size. It's nothing but adding gear or parts.

I would say consider how long you will keep the truck, a few grand averaged out over 10 years is easier to stomach than over a couple of years.
I'w with you. I certainly subscribe to the "cry once" philosophy.

We plan to hang onto the truck/camper for quite awhile.

yfarm

Observer
Have had detailed discussions with Aluma in Bancroft Iowa, price for a base model Aluma for Ram 2500 SB was $2,000. Local install there with 3 or 4 pt mounting about $500. This price does not include any storage boxes. Well regarded builder in the Midwest Ag business. C&M I expect to be in same ballpark for a non skirted base model. If your box is rust free, easy to sell in the Midwest and your net cost may be little.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I mean that’s definitely not true. Midsize truck payload is what, 1000 lbs? F250 payload is over 3000. So it’s like 2-3x as hard to overload it.

But I get your point - weight tends to add up quick.

+1 My 3500 SRW has a payload of almost 4000#. Pretty hard to overload it unless I put a massive truck camper on it.

As an aside, having owned it now for over 80,000 miles and being able to make it ride really well with the combination of Thuren bits and reasonably inflated large tires it would be hard to get me to buy anything smaller, regardless of the intended use. It's nice to know that I can pull and carry literally whatever i'd want to without even looking to see whether or not I can.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
If I were you and were interested, I'd persist a little. They are a busy shop so there's not a person sitting answering every phone call or every cyber contact immediately, but I've found they eventually get back to you, or someone will answer.

There is literally no excuse for not answering your phone. A receptionist service costs a couple hundred bucks a month. If someone doesn't care enough about new customers to answer the phone I'm moving on. When I call my own business if it isn't picked up in two rings it pisses me off.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
There is literally no excuse for not answering your phone. A receptionist service costs a couple hundred bucks a month. If someone doesn't care enough about new customers to answer the phone I'm moving on. When I call my own business if it isn't picked up in two rings it pisses me off.
I typically don't call with questions. Usually just send an email.
I agree....communication is really important. Kinda gives me an indication of how a shop operates.

kmacafee

Adventurer
Sorry, but your "they don't respond so they must not want my money" comment was not reality-based and the subsequent banter about "how a shop operates" was taking one non-fact and using it to make inferences about something else.
I made an appointment with AT Overland about a year ago and confirmed it a few days before. Showed up at the appointed hour and they had no record of the appointment. When I mentioned I had spoken with (can't remember her name) their response - "we talk to people all day, how are we expected to remember everyone." We finally were able to chat about the camper and flatbed but it was clear that they were so busy, they really didn't want my business anyway. Visited Bundutec and Alum Line and they both were happy to talk about what I wanted etc.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Sorry, but your "they don't respond so they must not want my money" comment was not reality-based and the subsequent banter about "how a shop operates" was taking one non-fact and using it to make inferences about something else.
Thank you Sir for your explanation of my intent/reality. Good to know the "troll police" are up early this morning.

For your information, I work 12-hour nights in the ER so I'm aleep during normal business hours making emails a much better way for me to communicate with potential vendors.

If I call a vendor with my inquires, they are pulled off a job (maybe your flatbed) to answer my dumb questions.

I've been active on this awesome forum for a number of years and never been accused of "trolling". I've gleaned a ********-ton of great info from the folks here and maybe dropped a couple nuggets that helped someone else along the way.

I'm sorry you perceived my comments as flippant but the "reality" is it's just your perception.

Nate

outdoornate65

Adventurer
People have different experiences, and nobody's perfect, but I've worked with these guys for a number of years, so to characterize them as "not wanting your money" is pretty ridiculous and inflammatory, in my opinion, hence the not so polite response. I initially responded to provide information, and not have that information picked apart and debunked by people who seem to only have had a random experience with this place.
Again, thanks for your insight. I'm super-stoked you've had a great experience with the company and hope that continues.

I'll continue to try and be polite despite the name-calling.

richxd87

Observer
Sherptek's offerings certainly have me interested. No idea on pricing though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior