Looking for ideas on a good Fuso jack?

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I know the 4 wheeling community seems to only want to use High Lift Jacks. But, once you leave the front of a Fuso, a bottle jack seems like it would be more versatile and more dangerous. Just looking for opinions.

Mark

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
...a bottle jack seems like it would be more versatile and more dangerous.

Out of interest... why do you think a bottle jack is more dangerous? In my opinion, a high lift jack is one of the most dangerous types of jack out there and trying to use one on something as high as a 4x4 Fuso/Isuzu would be just asking for trouble.
I have absolutely no issues with any hydraulic lifting mechanism, but I would never get under anything solely supported by one. I always use safety stands under everything I lift.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
For a Fuso, it has to be a bottle jack. I don't understand why you think a hi-lift jack would be safer (for any vehicle, not just a Fuso). You have to unload the entire suspension before you can get a wheel off the ground.

I use an air-assisted hydraulic bottle jack for my truck.

I also carry a hi-lift, but there are lots of other uses for a hi-lift jack. I would never use it to try and get a wheel in the air.

Howard70

Adventurer
Mock Tender:

I agree with Ski Freak and Pugslyyy - hydraulic bottle jacks (or air-assisted like Pugslyyy mentioned) work well with our high clearance relatively heavy trucks. The EarthCruiser team provided a great two-stage bottle jack with our truck. It was small enough to get under the Fuso jack points on each axle with a deflated tire yet lifted high enough to get a fully inflated spare onto the hub. That's not an easy feat on our 2014 FG. That jack lifted our truck (mass between 10,400 and 12,700 lbs depending on fuel, water, gear, and passengers) but it took a fair effort to pump towards the end of a lift. I decided I wanted to go to a higher capacity jack to make the lift easier when the truck was loaded, but I wanted it to fit in the same storage space as the original. I found a single stage 12 ton jack that was short enough to get under the axle with a flat and with what I thought was enough range to get the axle high enough to mount the spare. All of the two stage 12 ton jacks I could find were too broad to fit into the bracket & storage space where we wanted to carry the jack. Unfortunately the jack I purchased doesn't quite lift high enough to mount the spare. So I have to use a 3" extension (I'm using the extensions sold by Safe Jack - there is a thread about their stuff in the Recovery Gear sub forum). That works well, but I'm not sure I can get it under the axle with a deflated tire without digging a slight depression for the base of the jack. Not a problem in the dirt but impossible on pavement.

My suggestion would be to find a two stage 10 to 12 ton hydraulic bottle jack that is low enough to get under your axles with a deflated tire and enough lift to clear the spare for mounting and then design a storage area for it. Alternatively you could use a smaller jack like our original (I don't have it with me as we're on the road, but I can check it's specs when I'm back in New Mexico if you want) but rig yourself a longer handle so that you have a bit more leverage for pumping up at the end of the lift (that might not be necessary for you - unless you're as weak as I am!).

Our current kit contains the single stage 12 ton mentioned above, a 3" extension, the 12 ton adapter for the extension, a plate that increases the size of the bottom of the bottle jack for use in dirt and a Safe Jack Compact Jack Stand (several components - here is a link http://bmihydraulics.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=17&Itemid=23). We have the large base for the Compact Jack Stand, but if I was purchasing again I'd probably go for the smaller base.

When you calculate the minimum height and the lift you need from the bottle jack, be sure to factor in the diameter of the tires you'll eventually be running. Fuso's stock tires are small enough that the lift required is less than if you're running 34 or taller tires. If you're running 16" rims like I am, then the minimum height of the jack has to be pretty low which limits the jacks you can use. If you're running 19.5" rims you can use a jack with a greater minimum height. I'm assuming you'll be on single rear wheels - if you're going to run duals the fitting of the jack could be easier since the rear axle won't be very low with a flat and the lift points on the front axle might be slightly higher than the rear points (I'm not sure about that - you can measure it on your truck).

Howard

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
This is the jack I use. As you can see, it has the standard hydraulic hand pump BUT you can also work it with an air line. Since I imagine most of us have some source for onboard air I highly recommend this solution. You can't imagine how much easier this makes your life.

image_19544[1].jpg

Howard70

Adventurer
This is the jack I use. As you can see, it has the standard hydraulic hand pump BUT you can also work it with an air line. Since I imagine most of us have some source for onboard air I highly recommend this solution. You can't imagine how much easier this makes your life.

That's a nice set up. I didn't realize there were hybrid systems that allowed manual or air-assisted - might look into that.

Howard

Howard70

Adventurer

That's a nice set up. I didn't realize there were hybrid systems that allowed manual or air-assisted - might look into that.

Howard

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Pugslyyy , could you please show a pic with the brand details showing or some idea of where you sourced this. Looks like just what the doctor ordered. Cheers Steve

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
OK my friend Google helped me source one here in Australia...so all good. Looking at the weight of 16kgs.. (36.95lbs)..huge increase in weight over the standard bottle jack. At 20 ton capacity this is way over my maximum of 6 tons GVM. Great idea tho. Thanks

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I have been a little busy- so apologies for the tardiness of my responses. The bottle jack to me is nothing but danger on anything but a level hard floor. Most handles are no more than 16"- which means at some point I am crawling under the truck into snow, mud, sand- nothing that I want to crawl through. Now the air compressor bottle seems like it adds some safety and some convienence, but the added cost and weight! How many times am I changing my flat tires?

My interest was in something as an alternative to the bottle and the hi-jack- perhaps:

Air Bag Jacks-

Exhaust Jacks

Light weight floor racing jacks

Bushranger X Jacks

RakJak Pneumatic Jack

All of them are lighter and safer in my opinion.

Mark

Last edited:

gait

Explorer
I set off on three year trip with an air bag. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

I tested it and all was well. It lifted one corner and didn't burst so may be useful. I wasn't sure what for but "everybody has one" and it didn't need much space or weight.

I stored it in the bottom of a tightly packed locker.

Must have deflated it on a cool day.

The residual air expanded in the hotter climate of my first country north of the equator.

It overcame the sikaflex and jacked the bottom out of the locker.

Jack and other contents have never been seen since.

I haven't replaced it. The floors in my lockers are now more firmly attached.

None of the jacks suggested so far would have helped when we fell off the road. Just the way I do things. Nothing by halves.

I have a normal size bottle jack which leaks and a scissor jack (from a Coaster bus). Plus miscellaneous bits of wood. The bottle jack probably leaks a bit more than it used to as I only had engine oil available when it first leaked and I really needed to use the jack. The scissor jack works at any angle and I needed it elsewhere.

I had one puncture in about 100,000 km. The long piece of pipe I use for undoing wheel nuts fits over the jack handle. Some day I'll invent something with a hinge in the middle.

I needed a couple of tall axle stands when I changed springs and replaced king pin bearing. Left the axle stands with mate in UK as payment for help and disposal of old springs. He still has the old springs and has no use for the axle stands. We still talk.

I've just purchased a hi lift jack to help take the box off the chassis. I'll probably buy some webbing so I can use it to jack up a wheel if the future need arises. I haven't figured out how to remove the wheel from the vehicle once jacked up. I'm sure there's a way. Maybe I'll put the recovery tracks under the wheel.

Haven't seen the jack yet. Aus Post seem to have lost it ................ the tracking number seems to be just for collection of a delivery signature and their help seems to consist of waiting and hoping until sender asks. Their feedback page had a "Sorry. We have a technical problem. Please try again".

I guess I'm trying to say I haven't had much luck with jacks ............. :)

unkamonkey

Explorer
I learned a few tricks back when I did work in a tire shop. If you can't get the bottle jack under the axle, put a couple boards down and drive the flat up on them, it's always good to have something under the jack as well to spread out the weight. My 1992 has some nice rings welded to the front axle that the top of the jack fit nicely into.
I still run duals so if its the outside dual that is flat, put down a 2x6 and run the inner wheel up on it and it will give you enough clearance to change the outer tire. Of course, the last time I had a flat on the rear it was on the inside wheel. (losing a tread at 55MPH didn't do the camper any good).
I do carry a Hi Lift but it is usually used to help level the camper.

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I saw a high-lift that was fitted with two hooks that attached to the wheels for lifting and then you would put a jack stand underneath. I am considering the Earthcruiser wheels and have not asked if they would hold up to the hooks. Looks okay otherwise to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles