Looking For New (to me) Vehicle

RMCO

And yes I know there is a similar thread on this from another Michigander, but wanted to compare the suggestions with a different total budget. :unsure:

Looking around and trying to find a new toy to road trip around the US and camp out of come this spring. Quick background: Currently own and drive a 2006 Tundra Limited, small lift, 35s, 4.88s, Detroit locker, goes through anything I drive it in and drinks gas like you'd expect it to. Also have a 2011 Grand Marquis that does nearly 26 mpg with that cruise set at 75 and eats highway miles. Live in Michigan so I've come to peace with a fly and buy purchase. Total budget of say $15-20k for a vehicle and supporting mods.

I'm trying to find something between these two extremes. Something comfortable over long stints of highway driving, and enough offroad capability to get me off the fire roads and into the more remote camping spots. Won't be a daily driver but will see winter driving when the roads go to hell and open diffs and rear wheel drive doesn't sound like an entertaining commute.

Needs:
4x4
Seat 4 comfortably / enough room for 2 to camp out of. Not necessarily in the cab, but enough cargo space for two.
Large enough to strap a couple kayaks onto.
Left hand drive.

Wants:
500 mile range. Who wants to stop and fill up when they're making good time? Not looking to hypermile, but a large enough tank(s) that I'm not looking to constantly fill up.
Enough tow rating to pull a trailer with a couple of quads on the back. Tundra does it fine so not required. Michigan has a LOT of trails to ride.
Self recovery. Some flavor of locker and a place to mount a winch.

That's pretty wide open... Primarily I'm looking to see what's out there that's similarly as capable as my Tundra, but is more economical and keeps me on the road longer between stops. My current truck is a blast, but a 2400 miles round trip in it can be a little taxing. I've primarily been looking at domestic diesel trucks, but I'm not sold on the Duramax's ride (that pogo feeling) and I won't touch a 6.0 Ford, even after bulletproofing.

XJLI

Adventurer
500 mile range is going to be tough on anything outside of a large SUV/truck with a big fuel tank. Once you go to 35s you need power to move them, and power comes at a price. I'd be hard pressed to say anything other than a full size diesel will net you noticeably better economy than your Tundra. Even if you step down to a mid size (4Runner) you're looking at 15 mpg at best on 33s. Maybe check out diesel Grand Cherokees?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Probably above your budget but I know the newer ('15-up) F-150's have an option for a 36 gallon tank. I think some of the newer Rams have an option for a 32 gallon tank.

1500 Suburbans have a 31 gallon tank, mine has gotten as much as 18.5 MPG when not pulling a trailer and driving through the mountains which would give (in theory) over 600 miles range. Of course I only have 33's (285/75/16) and a very mild lift. Driving around town or pulling a trailer (3500lb) my MPG averages 11 - 13 which gives me roughly a 350 mile range.

I think the only way to get 500+ miles fully loaded is going to be with one of the newer diesels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier