looking for some advice on Aluminum caps.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Looking for some advice on Aluminum caps.
I know all the companies make them.
After some initial research it seems only Alu-Cab, reinforces the roof, so you can cary 500lbs. I was wondering if there are any other companies that you would recommend.

Thanks

jgallo1

Adventurer
@\
AluCab is the bee's knees. Best Tacoma canopy you can get IMO.

As for the real weight capacity, this video, from 5:00 onwards, will answer that question:

The Alu-Cab seem like the way to go.
I I was kind of hoping for a cheaper option, also read a few reports of people complaining about the leaking. Have you heard any of this?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
One thing to keep in mind with aluminum canopies is if you plan to sleep in one in temps any colder than the upper 60s, they will condensate like crazy. Plan on insulating it somehow. I love how light they are though!

jgallo1

Adventurer
One thing to keep in mind with aluminum canopies is if you plan to sleep in one in temps any colder than the upper 60s, they will condensate like crazy. Plan on insulating it somehow. I love how light they are though!

I spoke with Tradesmen today and they can pre-insulate it for you, the quote is even more expensive than than the Alu-Cab

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I've got an ARE DCU on my Tundra I picked up for cheap. Aluminum caps are the way to go.
My only complaint is the skin on mine is very thin.

Maxcustody

Explorer
Technically different, practically the same. An AluCab dealer once told me that Bushtech rips off AluCab products, but who knows what really goes on over there. The canopies look identical to my eye.

I agree. As I said I love my Alucab. I wonder if the Alucab is as strong as that Bushtec in the video................I hope so, I know I feel mine is built like a tank.

s.e.charles

I would recommend not putting anywhere near 500# on the roof, but it does seem to be an ongoing "discussion" in these here parts.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I would recommend not putting anywhere near 500# on the roof, but it does seem to be an ongoing "discussion" in these here parts.

I agree, but it seems the avg. roof top tent weights around 150lbs. 2 adults, avg the weight around 160 ( 1 guy/1 girl. ) Right there you have 470lbs.

35xj

Adventurer
I've been really happy with my all-cab. its such a nicely built piece of gear! the roof rail and rack setup are awesome. made mounting my hard shell tent up really easy and its very secure. The small details are what make the difference. All the internal structure is slotted to allow mounting go things to the ceiling (maxtrax, Shovel). I would buy another one in a minute!

Tacomacamper

ARE for me! Insulated it and mounted the awning... Double doors are great.

Attachments

• 20190101_143630.jpg
    20190101_143630.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 1546378701183-97094416.jpg
    1546378701183-97094416.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 29

esh

Explorer
I have a Vagabond Drifter and can't recommend it enough. Great design throughout.

Have been camping the past couple weeks from Baja up to the PNW and haven't had an issue with condensation in colder temps. Just left a top corner or two cracked.

DSC_0749.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online