Looking for suggestions for 270 awning. Bunduawn?

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
There in lies my concerns for buying the 1.0 version of anything. I have done so in the past and found out the first version was not fully baked....................................
Well, personally, I understand your concern. But realistically, new ideas would never get off the ground if everyone had this attitude. Often, it's better to not be riding the leading (bleeding) edge. And other times, hesitation will win you an extremely long wait for delivery of a completely capable product. Such is the dilemma.

shade

Well, personally, I understand your concern. But realistically, new ideas would never get off the ground if everyone had this attitude. Often, it's better to not be riding the leading (bleeding) edge. And other times, hesitation will win you an extremely long wait for delivery of a completely capable product. Such is the dilemma.
True on both counts. If I hadn't pre-ordered my GFC camper, I might still be on the list. They've made a few minor changes, but my early model works well.

WRT Kinsmen, I thought they'd demonstrated that the core product was solid, so I ordered fairly early - on the date of the first ExPo article that mentioned one, iirc. I'm not too concerned with add-ons, so I think the risk of dissatisfaction is low for me. They're a few weeks behind on delivery, but that's another reality of ordering from small shops. I know I could still be bit by a long delay or poor quality, though.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
True on both counts. If I hadn't pre-ordered my GFC camper, I might still be on the list. They've made a few minor changes, but my early model works well.

WRT Kinsmen, I thought they'd demonstrated that the core product was solid, so I ordered fairly early - on the date of the first ExPo article that mentioned one, iirc. I'm not too concerned with add-ons, so I think the risk of dissatisfaction is low for me. They're a few weeks behind on delivery, but that's another reality of ordering from small shops. I know I could still be bit by a long delay or poor quality, though.
I experienced a delay with the Kinsmen shower due to delay getting fabric from their source. I was lucky and got in on their announcement deal and saved some $. The shower was supposed to ship early Dec 18 and finally got it just after New Year's. They were responsive when I had inquiries and I was satisfied with the quality. I really think that you'll be satisfied. It is hard to wait, though, with the anticipation of a great product that is so useful. I don't know how the bag will be on the awning, but I like the bag on the shower. It's holding up well and has plenty of room so stowing it away while packing up is a breeze. By comparison, the Alu Cab bag is much tighter and the awning has to be rolled firm & tight so zipper doesn't bind when putting it away.

Photobug

Did you ever receive a response? The 270 awnings aren't shown on the Hannibal distributor's website. I sent an email directly to Clevershade in Australia but haven't heard back from them.

Yes back then I was talking to them, If I remember correctly they were waiting for delivery. I reached out to them again to see their current stock.

I have really wanted a Howling moon and they have been the worst all around as far as communication. The US distributor has been trying to coordinate a way to get them here for months. My reach out to the Australian distributor was forwarded to South Africa. Given the South African email, I reached out to them but have not heard back.

As far as I can tell the Baroud and Alu-awn are the only ones in stock in the US. Hannibal takes two weeks to arrive in San Diego.

Yes back then I was talking to them, If I remember correctly they were waiting for delivery. I reached out to them again to see their current stock.

I have really wanted a Howling moon and they have been the worst all around as far as communication. The US distributor has been trying to coordinate a way to get them here for months. My reach out to the Australian distributor was forwarded to South Africa. Given the South African email, I reached out to them but have not heard back.

As far as I can tell the Baroud and Alu-awn are the only ones in stock in the US. Hannibal takes two weeks to arrive in San Diego.
Thanks. I stumbled across this thread yesterday. Like you, I’ve looked at all the 270 awnings I can find.

My primary requirement is that the awning be self-supporting in moderate winds. Second in importance is that I’d prefer not to have to purchase an aftermarket roof rack just to support an awning (the only other item(s) I would have on the roof is solar panels). Side walls aren’t really a consideration for me.

The Clevershade (clevershade.com) is the lightest 270 I’ve found, and it can be mounted to load bars...a rack isn’t required. It looks to be easily removable from your vehicle if you didn’t want to have it continually exposed to the elements (or possible theft). They recently launched a 5m version although few details are available.

The Ostrichwing can also be mounted to load bars and looks like a great choice.

The other brands all seem to require aftermarket roof racks for mounting. If I went the rack route, I like the Bundu 360 for the coverage. The Kinsmen is sweet, but too small. The Alu Cab would be my second choice for rack mounting,

Last edited:

Photobug

My primary requirement is that the awning be self-supporting in moderate winds. Second in importance is that I’d prefer not to have to purchase an aftermarket roof rack just to support an awning (the only other item(s) I would have on the roof is solar panels). Side walls aren’t really a consideration for me.

The Clevershade (clevershade.com) is the lightest 270 I’ve found, and it can be mounted to load bars...a rack isn’t required. It looks to be easily removable from your vehicle if you didn’t want to have it continually exposed to the elements (or possible theft). They recently launched a 5m version although few details are available.

Where did you find out about the 5 meter version? On a subsequent search I found the Australian web site referring to which colors are available in 5m. I cant find any other mention of a larger sized option. They are probably wondering why the 5 meter option is not more popular not realizing it is not listed.

Where did you find out about the 5 meter version? On a subsequent search I found the Australian web site referring to which colors are available in 5m. I cant find any other mention of a larger sized option. They are probably wondering why the 5 meter option is not more popular not realizing it is not listed.
The only mention I found was on the Clevershade.com website. In my email to them (in Australia), I requested US pricing on both the 4m and 5m versions. No response yet...

The only mention I found was on the Clevershade.com website. In my email to them (in Australia), I requested US pricing on both the 4m and 5m versions. No response yet...
Also, the phone number for the US Hannibal distributor in San Diego is “not available” according to the recording when I attempt to call.

carbon60

Explorer
Has anyone heard whether Darche awnings are in stock in North America? Or whether 23zero's Peregrine product is the same?

Photobug

Also, the phone number for the US Hannibal distributor in San Diego is “not available” according to the recording when I attempt to call.

I have communicated with them via email successfully, quick response. I am going to be in Socal in a few weeks but no guarantee to have a shade from them in time and might have to pay for shipping, so holding off on ordering a Clevershade. I really want a 6 arm shade.

shade

Kinsmen update: After a few emails about delays, I recently received a message stating that my awning is nearly complete, and should ship soon. I'm not happy about waiting this long, but I can live with it as long as the awning is well made and arrives this year.

carbon60

Explorer
I have a Darche 270 Eclipse recently installed on my trailer, with all the walls. Anything I can add/answer/comment on?

shade

I have a Darche 270 Eclipse recently installed on my trailer, with all the walls. Anything I can add/answer/comment on?
I saw some older reviews that weren't happy about water leaking. Have you had a chance to see how weatherproof yours is?

carbon60

Explorer
I saw some older reviews that weren't happy about water leaking. Have you had a chance to see how weatherproof yours is?

It seems dependant on being setup carefully: if water pools at the seam, it starts to slowly drip through. I'll need a few more rainstorms to really get a feel for that.

It's enormous, though. Love the coverage.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I saw a video of the new 23 zero material they are using on all their stuff. Seems pretty legit for heat transfer. It’s also said to be 3 layers.

Could be worth a look if it works as stated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles