Looking for suggestions on building the inside of my camper shell.

mkitchen

Explorer
I have a 71 F 250 that I want to build into an overland vehicle. I have the drivetrain where I want it (except for a Gear Vender overdrive unit, which I can't afford yet). I am going to finish out the cab, which shouldn't take too much money or work.

My main concern is setting up the back for some comfortable camping. I have an AT Horizon that I pull behind my 06 Tacoma but I can't let go of Rueben, my 71, so I am going to build it out as another overlander. Something that I can take on long weekends or a trip such as the Relics Run. I have had Rueben since 1995 and it has always had a bed in the back the went from side to side and didn't allow me enough room to stretch out when sleeping. Nor did it provide the effective storage that I want. The bed is eight feet long and I am thinking about a bench along one side that is maybe seven feet long, with possibly a double stack of drawers in the back and a top loader space in the front part of the bench for gear that is not needed as often. I am thinking of cooking off the tailgate, as the rear shell door provides shelter. I am also going to be putting in an additional battery, with isolator, in Rueben and wiring the shell for ample 12 volt access.

As you can see from the photos, there is a lot room for sleeping and storage, but I sure would like to hear some ideas for outfitting Rueben effectively.

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

I plan to re-skin the shell but I don't want to cut any holes in the bed of the truck. With both sides open and the rear door open, it stays cool and comfortable. So, help out with some much needed ideas.
Thanks
Mikey

FettsWay

Adventurer
you have got alot of room to work with in that camper. Since you like to stretch out, maybe put a sleeping platform with storage underneath or drawers. Or you might be able to safely install an upper shelf level for out of the way storage as well. Just some thoughts.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Loving your truck and camper. An idea I've been chewing on for awhile is to integrate hybrid trailer-style foldout beds into a truck camper or large truck canopy like yours. Yours already has flip-out doors on the side and is plenty tall. Reverse the hinges on the side doors to the bottom of the doors, add the canvas and supporting arms and then sleep side to side with lots of room. Don't know if that makes any sense but its crystal clear in MY head. :)

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Nice bumpside!
Yup, a sleeping platform is a must, and you could build one pretty easy; do you have an SO to share it with? might need to be bigger...
Take a tube of brown (so it'll match) silicone and seal off all the holes in the bed so it won't leak as much water and dust.
As far as the plan, it sounds like you have it nailed; a sleeping platform the length of the truck and drawers under it. I'd add a water tank that I got from an RV from the junkyard, and a pump to empty it from for better access to water.

mkitchen

Explorer
All good ideas.

Thanks folks. I never thought about doing a slide-out on the sides. That might be a bit more designing than I would be capable of. Since I first posted, I have been looking at a lot of posts of other builds and I think that I am going to do a bench on the passenger side that can fold over to make a full width bed when needed. Under the bench I will put a set of two drawers, one above the other. the bench will be 7' long, leaving a foot of space to the tailgate. I use the tail gate to cook off of and having extra space would be nice. I might also put my stove in the bottom drawer and use it in it's slide out position to cook from. That would allow me an L shaped kitchen (I do enjoy my kitchen work area).

If I make the drawers four feet deep, I will have some space in front of the drawers for storage and a water tank with a pump to send the water to the back where I would need it.

I never thought about an upper shelf and I do have room for such an idea and it would not be too hard to do with the metal frame of the shell. an upper shelf would be a very handy addition. It would provide me with some needed storage for small items and keep the inside nice and neat.

My goal is to have Rueben be very serviceable without having to have a roof rack or tools and spare mounted on the outside. I just want it to look like an old truck with a shell. I don't know why but my Tacoma screams "OVERLANDER" and I would like to have something of a sleeper. Something very capable but not outspoken? Well that is the goal anyhow. Besides, with this much room, I should be able to fit all my needs inside, eh? Again, thanks for the input.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94