Looking for Tablet Dash Mount Thread

mtnblue

Observer
A couple of months ago, I was reading an old thread where someone mounted a dash mount tablet to their Monty. I could have sworn I bookmarked the page, but for the life of me I cannot find it. It wasn't the guy who used the harbor freight stuff, it was where a mount was attached behind the plastic center console and positioned a ball mount about as high on the center console as possible. Do you guys remember where I can find it? I vaguely remember it, and I want to do something similar. I think the floor mounts will sway around too much, and the center console mount blocks the air conditioner, where the console side mount would be perfect and keep the tablet near eye level. I have spent several hours looking for that thread, to no avail. He had the ball mount, and then a 6" long extension going to a cradle where the tablet was mounted. Anyone know where I can find that? I tried searching "tablet dash mount", "ipad dash mount" and similar searches, but the search only brings up the thread, and not the exact page. I have too many hours in this thing, and I need some help finding it.

mtnblue

Observer
Se7en62, looks good but is too much in the driver's field of view for me, I want something closer to the console part of the dash. My '95 doesn't have the glovebox right there, so it would be ideal location.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Ram (or you can realistically do any generic one as long as you can end up with the ball size you want at the end) makes essentially bar/rollbar clamps that would work on your big "oh ****" handle in place of your airbag. The Ram arms are stiff enough that it could absolutely reach from there to wherever you'd want it.

It's the route i'll probably go once i transplant my non-airbag dash in my 98. Or i'll install the tablet in place of the silly aux gauge panel.

mtnblue

Observer
Ram (or you can realistically do any generic one as long as you can end up with the ball size you want at the end) makes essentially bar/rollbar clamps that would work on your big "oh ****" handle in place of your airbag. The Ram arms are stiff enough that it could absolutely reach from there to wherever you'd want it.

It's the route i'll probably go once i transplant my non-airbag dash in my 98. Or i'll install the tablet in place of the silly aux gauge panel.

Duh, that's a great idea, that way I am not messing up the console. I think that is what I will do, Thanks!

zerodrift

Adventurer
This was my solution with ram mounts. I'm making another one for my gen 2.5 here in the near future and trying a slightly different approach, which I'll document on my build thread.
ad873a1c381cff98a997815c5586dc48.jpg
9bc112068ea3a29476294782fb5bd361.jpg

f51b69b34c8ab80c63f215fd0e5b621f.jpg

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I'm not sure what Gen you have, but you can check out my build thread for how I did my tablet mounts. I used the magnetic mounts and they are the cheapest, quickest, but imo best way to do it on a Gen 2 / 2.5.

I work at a RAM Distributor and have access to thousands of RAM items so I've spent a lot of time in the Monty with different RAM stuff trying to find a good solution. Just today I spent 15 minutes trying to use RAM's airplane yoke mount + different arms to clamp down behind the rear view mirror and then drop down to have my phone sit in an X-Grip right below the mirror. No go, the ball hits the glass and also the mount keeps the mirror from being able to be adjustable.

Anyways, unless you are okay with drilling through the top of your dash (not your center gauge cluster, that is too weak because all the weight is on just 2 little screws holding brittle plastic), I have yet to find a RAM item that will hold a tablet near eye level. As others have posted, if you're wanting something lower, then yes, they have stuff that will do that, but I want my phone and tablet up higher.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Oh PS - Forget about the RAM suction cup mounts. They will hold the device nicely at eye level below your rear view mirror but they fall off all the time. I change mine out every 3 months here in Phoenix and they still fall off all the time - they can't handle extreme temperatures.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
This was my solution with ram mounts. I'm making another one for my gen 2.5 here in the near future and trying a slightly different approach, which I'll document on my build thread.

Mind giving me a holler when you do that? I'd love to throw you some dollars for something like that.

mtnblue

Observer
I'm not sure what Gen you have, but you can check out my build thread for how I did my tablet mounts. I used the magnetic mounts and they are the cheapest, quickest, but imo best way to do it on a Gen 2 / 2.5.

I work at a RAM Distributor and have access to thousands of RAM items so I've spent a lot of time in the Monty with different RAM stuff trying to find a good solution. Just today I spent 15 minutes trying to use RAM's airplane yoke mount + different arms to clamp down behind the rear view mirror and then drop down to have my phone sit in an X-Grip right below the mirror. No go, the ball hits the glass and also the mount keeps the mirror from being able to be adjustable.

I've got the 95SR, so I have the grab handle on the passenger side. So I would think the RAM mount that attaches to circular items would work well. And I was looking for some sort of articulating arm that was 7-10" long. Do they have those? I didn't think the suction cup mounts would work, not to mention they block the view out of the windshield. There was a build thread somewhere in this forum where someone mounted a ram ball mount on a piece of metal that attached to the inside of the console between the console trim and the outer plastic, and I think he screwed it into metal when he attached it. So it attached to the ram ball right at the top of the console and then he had a 4" or so arm going out to a Ipad mount. Very clean. Zero Drift's mounts are cool, but in my opinion they sit too low. I plan on using the ipad and gps to find old trails to mining claims, and I want to be able to have the ipad slightly below my field of view when I am driving. I don't want to be looking down. Although I have to admit his mount is very clean and looks really cool.

mtnblue

Observer
So I got my Ram Mount goodies and started thinking (a scary thought)- some of these other ideas were good, but the mount was too low. The grab bar was a thought, but I thought it may get in the way when a passenger was riding with me. I was also doing a radio swap, and as soon as the took off the moulding around the radio, I had an epiphany- if I could use the screw mounts to the radio and fabricate something that sits higher...... Hmmm. So I dragged out some scissors and some cardboard, and came up with an idea. I went to the local hardware store and picked up a small sheet of 1/8" steel. Not being a fabricator, all I had was a vise and a jigsaw and hammer and attached is what I came up with. I surprised myself, it turned out pretty good ( for me being a hack)- the height is perfect. 1 Ram Mt Front.jpg1 Ram Mt Front.jpg2 Ram Mounted.jpg3 Installed Side.jpg4 Ram Complete.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior