Looking to buy Montero...not sure which one?

50short

Hi. I’m looking to do an overland build on a moderate budget and decided the Montero was the right platform.

The 2 trucks I’m looking at:

1990 Montero, 3.0L SOHC, 5-speed, 98k original miles, totally stock original, near perfect condition, $3k

1992 Montero, 3.0L SOHC, Automatic, 205k miles, totally stock original, rear locker, t-belt/water pump done, superb condition, $2800

Which one will serve a family of 4 better on a two week camping road trip?

Swift_45a

Observer
If its just for moderate overland and you'll be working on it yourself, I'd persoanlly take the manual because its easier to diagnose; I really dislike auto trans, but the Gen 2/3 never came in Manual in the US. I really only take mine for surf trips and some camping and I like the space in Gen 2s out of all the 3, I can take out all my seats, put my stuff on my roof over night and sleep comfortably inside with a bed made from sheets and blankets.

But, since overlanding is a mix over a lot of terrain I'd say the practical thing would be to stick to auto, you can burn a clutch in the middle of the desert, so its best not to risk it.

I've only ever had gen 2-2.5, but to be honest I think the 6G72 is a pathetic engine, its layout makes it techincally 'easier' to work on over the DOHC 6G74, but despite that minor convenience its just a poor choice to put in such a massive truck. I paid nearly that for my 96 SR (I'm keeping her after all!) and a little more than that for my 2000 Gen 2.5.

That Gen I probably has a ton of torn seals you'll have to work on, 98k on a nearly 30 year old car is a recipe for chasing oil/fluid leaks everywhere. So for 3k you're better off passing on that unless you want tear into her before your hypothetical camping trip.

Keep looking, you can find better at that price point.

PS: Is the HTML really bad on here as of late or is it just me? I can't even see the post reply button after I type a message.

50short

Thank you for the responses! I’m surprised / encouraged to see that nobody said anything about the high mileage on the gen 2. Must not be that unusual for these to achieve 200k and still be trusted.

Were the automatics in these well built and capable of high miles?

50short

If its just for moderate overland and you'll be working on it yourself, I'd persoanlly take the manual because its easier to diagnose; I really dislike auto trans, but the Gen 2/3 never came in Manual in the US. I really only take mine for surf trips and some camping and I like the space in Gen 2s out of all the 3, I can take out all my seats, put my stuff on my roof over night and sleep comfortably inside with a bed made from sheets and blankets.

But, since overlanding is a mix over a lot of terrain I'd say the practical thing would be to stick to auto, you can burn a clutch in the middle of the desert, so its best not to risk it.

I've only ever had gen 2-2.5, but to be honest I think the 6G72 is a pathetic engine, its layout makes it techincally 'easier' to work on over the DOHC 6G74, but despite that minor convenience its just a poor choice to put in such a massive truck. I paid nearly that for my 96 SR (I'm keeping her after all!) and a little more than that for my 2000 Gen 2.5.

That Gen I probably has a ton of torn seals you'll have to work on, 98k on a nearly 30 year old car is a recipe for chasing oil/fluid leaks everywhere. So for 3k you're better off passing on that unless you want tear into her before your hypothetical camping trip.

Keep looking, you can find better at that price point.

PS: Is the HTML really bad on here as of late or is it just me? I can't even see the post reply button after I type a message.

Good point about the low miles and potentially torn seals. Would you have concerns about the 205k on the other rig assuming proper maintenance?

BOPOH

Explorer
Thank you for the responses! I’m surprised / encouraged to see that nobody said anything about the high mileage on the gen 2. Must not be that unusual for these to achieve 200k and still be trusted.

Were the automatics in these well built and capable of high miles?

I've had Gen2.5 with over 200K that i used for everything from muddying to rock bouncing with no issues(other than my stupidity :)) had to sell because i moved cross country. Now i have Gen3.5 with almost 220K miles and it's still amazing vehicle, although it need a lot of attention and $, I still consider it very reliable.

As far as automatics, they are bullet proof and known to be more reliable than manuals. Typically, trans outlive the truck. Built for 3rd world countries, very desired and then only maintenance i've seen on it is transfer case belt replacement.

1morebike

Adventurer
I had a 1990 with the 5 sp .I loved it! Had 300,000 on it but was on it's second engine. That engine is small but could take a beating. Mine broke the timing belt and was fine after it was replaced. It did how ever blow a head gasket and while I loved that truck having a kid I though anti lock brakes and airbags were important. Oh it also had thing were some days it would start fine and other days it would be dead...never did figure that out. Anyway I loved that truck and miss it but wouldn't go back after having a gen 3.

50short

I had a 1990 with the 5 sp .I loved it! Had 300,000 on it but was on it's second engine. That engine is small but could take a beating. Mine broke the timing belt and was fine after it was replaced. It did how ever blow a head gasket and while I loved that truck having a kid I though anti lock brakes and airbags were important. Oh it also had thing were some days it would start fine and other days it would be dead...never did figure that out. Anyway I loved that truck and miss it but wouldn't go back after having a gen 3.

Thanks. That’s great feedback. As much as I love the simplicity and look of the Gen 1...and I love manual transmissions...I’m thinking Gen 2 is the best option.

My wife and 2 boys and I are planning a 14 day / 5,000 mile road trip next summer that will take us through mountain passes, coastal regions, deserts. Mixed camping and hotels. I want safety and passenger comfort. The Gen 2 sounds like a better choice.

mudraider

Adventurer
If its just for moderate overland and you'll be working on it yourself, I'd persoanlly take the manual because its easier to diagnose; I really dislike auto trans, but the Gen 2/3 never came in Manual in the US.

This is incorrect. I know of a couple of Gen 2 with a manual transmission.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

50short

Mine is a Gen 2.5 but it's going to have 300k miles on it before Halloween on the original engine and original transmission. I'm confident enough in its ability to last that I put brand new carpet in it, new gears and a locker and tons more for the next third of a million miles.

Longevity on these vehicles is 98% maintenance not counting collisions or rust.[/

Wow, That’s a ton of miles! But, if the body is still solid and you like it, why not keep it going forever?

I ran a VIN check on the Gen2 last night and learned it has a record of odometer discrepancy. So the indicated 200k is likely not accurate? Makes me kind of nervous. Otherwise a clean record.

plh

Explorer
Odometer miles are nearly meaningless on a 26 Y.O. vehicle. General overall condition and history of PM is more important. If you are super concerned about the mileage discrepancy, get a compression check done on the engine. A '92 for $2800 better be pretty super minty, in my opinion that is expensive. 5 years ago I paid about half that for my '93 SR with 17x,xxx miles on it. Of course there has been PM expense over those years, tires, suspension refresh, brakes, normal stuff and I did splurge for a re-upholstery of all the seats and added heaters. Today she is at 200K. Was worth every penny. Best value for the buck on any vehicle I have ever owned.

50short

well, I Pulled the trigger on a rust free 1994 today for $350. Its a 3.0 12-Valve, SOHC with a 5-speed and fabric seats! Exactly what I wanted for my build minus rear diff lock. Super excited. I plan to dump my remaining money into maintenance and mods...build coming up next!

Last edited:

Swift_45a

Observer

Actually, you're right; early Gen 2s did have that option. And some of those Puerto Rico trucks from Gen 2.5 years, that looked like early that have been posted here were often 5 spd, right?

Still, I think they're few and far between, although OP bought one so they do exist, they're mainly LS models in my experience, too.

I always wanted to drive a 5 spd Gen 1 with a 6g74 up Pike's Peak. My palms were sweatiing all the way up Devil's Playground in a 5pd 100hp (probably less due to elevation) Camry, but I couldn't help thinking how cool it would have been when it was all dirt going all out in one would have been.

a62DROBESQP.JaffrayMitsubishiPajero.jpg

Last edited:

mudraider

Adventurer
I'm trying to get my 6G74 in an 89, and fate just isnt letting me. Have the truck, have the engine, just can't seem to get the chance to do it though. I'm going with an auto though. Tired of dealing with clutch issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior