Loose end 12v socket source? (ie not panel or surface mount)

pods8

Explorer
Looking for a source for a 12V socket/outlet that is made to be loose on the end of a wire thus I'm looking for something that comes with a boot over the back end of it to cover the wiring. I know there are 12V extension cords out there but everything seems to have small gauge wiring and in pictures appear to have the wires molded in. Ideally I'm looking for just the female socket/outlet in that style which I can add my own wiring too.

Anyone run across something like this, my googling is coming up empty so far...

VjXIBEmRCIcGVFsVYXqbB39zMZsQmGvH9K44-Uvlz4L8t_dd2TqsRSVvH_7V0BxI1SZ3a7lYPP47kkeZr-7rBTDSsbE3xT5r6g_4i6El8NYG6Gx8pZeq908HgbtZD9nzw6e6rzHxEuAJfn-_h0Pe2p7kT5d5KR3lBPs7

K2ZJ

Explorer
I think I got one at RadioShack years and years ago. I found this one, but I am guessing it is not what you want.

pods8

Explorer
No that's a surface mount style, not what I'm ideally looking for. Both surface mount and panel mount ones are pretty easy to find.

Basically looking for the 12V version of a "extension cord replacement plug" like you can get for 120V connectors.

broken1

Observer
There is a sweet locking setup that is similar but way more secure. I'll find a link when I get home.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

pods8

Explorer
Shoot. Apprently the female side of the cool locking set is panel only, though I am sure it could be adapted with a little silicone and heat shring tubing, maybe a spring or plastic coil for strain relief...
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=AP121-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=AS212-ND
Amazon has them too but the socket is marked up close to 100% and the plug around 30%.

Good luck.

This boot is a bit oversized but looks like is could maybe work with the above:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=720980&k=boot

pods8

Explorer

That link doesn't have the relevant connectors, the couple inline plugs they do have are expensive and have molded in wires which a readily available elsewhere but also likely are too small of a gauge, like elsewhere.

Nice stuff. Thanks for the link.

OP, you might check an RV parts store. They tend to have heavier gauge stuff. I had a splitter that I cut apart to do what you're wanting to accomplish.

I put a digikey order in friday for both the kids of sockets linked previously, figured I'd check out both.

pods8

Explorer
Did you get these in yet, and if so what were your impressions?

Yeah I got these two types in. The one on the left is pretty low duty looking in terms of the rear connections but they cost less than $2... The ones on the right seem decent for a basic plug and may work well with their matching plug (they were on back order so I didn't order any) however the center contact point doesn't cover the whole bottom of the plug so I don't really like the fit with my ARB fridge plug when it would come to road vibration. They would work decent with most stuff standing still though. I'm going to use the type on the right for the power ports in my new camper I am building for general stuff.

However I think I'm going to modify the stock cord on my ARB fridge and splice in some heavier gauge SAE 2 pole connectors. I'll have a matching connector on a fused line from my aux. battery which will make a nice vibration resistance connection and if/when I pull the fridge out for other uses I can put a cigarette plug back on the line.
2011-08-11_11-43-01_860.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94