Low voltage shutoff protection

Model97

I have a fridge that does not have low voltage protection built in. What’s the cheapest way of protecting my house battery in a failsafe way? I don’t want to have to be physically monitoring it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Cheapest? or suggested?

Loads of these cheap units available.
They seem to work well out of the box....

What I would suggest is something along the lines of this...

hour

Observer
You could get the Victron BatteryProtect 65a "smart" version for $60 and set a custom shutoff point. And also have a way to view your battery voltage whether the fridge is running or not on your phone via bluetooth.

(er yea like IdaSHO said)

Model97

Thanks for all the help. I'm conversant in valence electrons but helpless with I^2*R electrons.

Rando

Explorer
The relay based Low Voltage Disconnects (such as the BlueSea mLVD) have a pretty major flaw in that they require 100mA or so to keep the relay energized. If you don't have solar or drive the vehicle for a week or two, this pretty much guarantees you will need the LVD, as the LVD itself burns through about 17Ah a week.

The MOSFET based ones (eg the Victron Battery Protect) don't have this issue as they only draw 1mA or so whether on or off. You do have to be careful how you wire them thought to make sure the current only flows one way.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Thanks for all the help. I'm conversant in valence electrons but helpless with I^2*R electrons.

chemestry over electronics huh?
For DC circuits all you need to know is I=E/R and all the varations of that one equation.
And by the way current does not take the path of least resistance, it takes ALL paths.

john61ct

Adventurer
A master switch at the House bank is essential for when the rig is not in use.

And for routine maintenance

and especially for in emergencies.

But yes, very low parasitic draws are better than big ones, whatever the device type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles