Lowest Profile FJ Cruiser Roofrack

sigmundsauer

Hi, Gents.

Longtime lurker getting ready to take my FJ to the next level with an RTT.

What's the lowest profile roof rack that's recommended? My research suggests the BajaRack Flat Utility Rack but some reports criticize it's poor powder coat. Has BajaRack improved their powder coat in recent years? Better options out there? (FrontRunner Slimline II or Rhino-Rack?)

Am looking to mount either a Maggiolina Airlander, JB Explorer, or EA Stealth (the Stealth is what i really want), but weight and lowering center of gravity are key for me. Also, want to pair the RTT with a 270 deg awning, whether Eezi-Awn or Alu-Cab.

Appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Tim

sigmundsauer

eatSleepWoof,

The Prinsu looks low profile and pretty good. I must confess I'm a little concerned about the awning brackets, which look like they would almost certainly interfere with the RTT. Would like to do both.

Thanks,
Tim

sigmundsauer

Anybody know the dimensions of the Prinsu rack for the FJ? Overall length and width of the rack platform (between mounting rails)?

Tim

smracing

I went with the Prinsu for the wife's FJ. The stock tubes that mount to the roof fit poorly and are hard to seal. I machined my own mounting blocks that fit better and allow the rack to be 1/2" lower. Also, the side rails stick up above the cross bars which may cause interference with some tents.

sigmundsauer

smracing,

Thanks. Do you know the width of your Prinsu rack between the mounting rails? There are no specs on Prinsu's website. This data can help me judge if the rack will be compatible with the RTTs that I'm considering or not.

Thank you,
Tim

prerunner221

Adventurer
I don't know how you're going to mount a RTT onto a Prinsu rack, not easily anyway. My buddy has one on his Tacoma and I just don't know how easy it would be, if possible, to get you hand and a wrench in there to bolt it down. I have a Bajarack flat rack and love it. It is a lot easier to get the rear of the tent bolted down than the front though, even with this rack. Any lower profile and I just don't see being able to get your hand in there to wrench the tent on, and I have small hands. If the FJ Prinsu is anything like the Tacoma in how it mounts, it would probably be easier to mount the tent to a prebuilt rack, and mount them together onto the truck. Way too big of PITA for me.

As for the 270 degree awnings, I have a Alu-Cab versus Foxwing thread on this forums if you search. They both seem to need a very strong, sturdy rack to mount to, especially at the corner where the awing pivots. Again, seeing how the Prinsu uses 1000 bolts to hold it together, I would want something more sturdy, and welded, if I was going to mount a RTT and an awning like that. Could it be done, maybe, don't really know, but on my truck I went for the welded rack. In my non-engineer brain it makes more sense.

You can always hit up Greg Muzila (Gzila) and see how he likes his 270 mounted to the Bajarack. He designs and sells the clamps that make these awnings fit this rack, or probably whatever else you want. I have a few of his products and they are the highest quality, and the customer service has been excellent.

His truck for reference:

14292436_10154449709686000_2277201090014258294_n.jpg

sigmundsauer

Prerunner221 and C-Fish,

Thank you. Very helpful information, and very much appreciate your specific advice on how to make this work.

Tim

dtc81

Observer
8892989789b63c88f5b52043dfd62517.jpg

eea163d7738447c244373e28a1028098.jpg

He's a couple pictures of a rack I built for my buddy's FJ which carries his RTT. Definitely account for mounting hardware of your tent! Its almost too low to get a wrench in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sigmundsauer

Sounds like the GZilaDesigns awning mounts are excellent quality....but perhaps not necessary if not using a conventional rooftop tent that would interfere with the higher mounts. Is my assumption accurate that a hard shell RTT would be fine with the standard BajaRack awning mounts? I will be using the Alu-Cab or Eezi-Awn 270.

Thanks,
Tim

sigmundsauer

dtc81,

That is one robust roof rack! ....and super low-profile. I would just partially mount the rack (loosely anchored) and then mount the tent to be able to shim both sides of the rack and get the tent mounted and not fight the rack while fully screwed in. Great work! You've got some skillz.

Tim

dtc81

Observer
You're right on the money, Tim! That's exactly how he does it. Luckily the tent lives up there most of the year. Thanks for the kind words. Looking forward to seeing your set-up when you get it figured

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

prerunner221

Adventurer
I originally used the Bajarack awning mounts but during my first trip out with the awning and tent I ran into a problem I didn't think about. The Bajarack awning mounts push the awning a little high, maybe 6 inches above the rack. This put them right in the way of the poles you use on the tent to support the window awnings, and I wasn't able to deploy one of the windows properly. I don't know if that will be an issue with a hardtop tent, I guess it depends on which tent you get.

20615563_10155632186414494_2442568730476496569_o.jpg

20507716_10155632186319494_2720787548793762383_o.jpg

With the new clamps I moved the awning down to where I can now open the tent properly. Not being able to open the tent all the way really made it hot in there, but that's what I get for tent camping in Florida.

Here it is with the new clamps. You can see how much lower it sits.

18034276_10155282188724494_606723919853364386_n.jpg

sigmundsauer

prerunner221,

I can clearly see what you mean. I suspect it would not be an issue with some, if not all, of the hardshell RTTs I'm considering. Thanks for sharing! Nice FJ!

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online