LR Discovery Sport launch in Roseville, CA

spikemd

Explorer
Attended the LR Rocklin Discovery Sport launch event in Roseville today. Its a nice upgrade over the LR2 but looks way too much like the Evoque...in fact almost identical to the Evoque from the front doors forward. The two disco sports they had did not have the third row option and I'm not sure how they they can stuff another 2 seats in the rear, but somehow they do.

I thought they were going to differentiate the 'discovery' line up from the 'range rover' lineup. I liked the previous lineup and the fact that the full size looked different from the sport and the disco was entirely unique. Overall, more car than truck. Nice entry level vehicle, but really lacks personality.

2015_rover_launch.jpg

roverlaunch2.jpg

20150410_191919_resized.jpg

20150410_191932_resized.jpg

Eniam17

Adventurer
I wish they would differentiate the lineup more as well, the 4Runner doesn't have the same front end as the Land Cruiser, which I like. The Mercedes ml lineup isn't the same as the G wages or even the GLK series, etc. hopefully as time goes on Rover continues to separate the range, disco, and defender segments more and more.

99Discovery

Adventurer
All the disco-sport needs is to find a way to stuff a 2-speed transfer case in there and instantly you infuse it with "personality". It must be really hard to get a T-case in the transverse lineup, the Jeep Cherokee's is kind of not "the same thing" either.

It's too bad, because these new regulations are going to make it harder and more expensive for us enthusiasts to find a platform to built (we already have to mod the $$ LR4/RRS/RRFF lineup to fit proper tires..)

spikemd

Explorer
One of the guys at the dealer said they took out the new disco sport against some competition (X3, RDX, etc) on a dirt track in Colorado and it blew them away. They stopped on an uphill very steep incline and then it was able to continue to climb with no slippage. He attributes it to the 7 speed auto where the first gear is really low. Its not a true two speed transfer case, but the first gear is very low and helps it get out of tough situations.

Rover is losing its styling edge with all the homogenation. Yes, they won some awards with the Evoque, but that doesn't mean every truck should look identical. Branch out and differentiate.

35xj

Adventurer
Alright, I was on the launch team for the new discovery sport. The event was outside Phoenix, not Colorado. The tranny isn't a 7 speed, it's the same 9 speed as the evoque. It also shares the same engine as the evoque.
The discovery sport does not have the active driveline from the evoque however. It uses a haldex unit.
Overall, a 2 speed transfer case would be of virtually no use in this car as it lacks the ground clearance and suspension travel of the bigger cars. The 9 speed, however, does have a really low first gear, providing more than adequate crawl ratio for the car and it's intended use. Between the 9 speed, hill descent, terrain response, and the other features we have come to expect from Land Rover, the car is head and shoulders above the competitive vehicles in the class.
If you want a vehicle to "build" into a trail rig. It's not the right choice

aek50

Adventurer
Have to recognize the vehicle for what it is. Today's uber regulated environment and current market place it is unrealistic to expect every vehicle to be a utilitarian trail rig, as much as we would like them to.

If Land Rover can build the most capable vehicle in that particular vehicle's class and have a modifiable true trail rig in the quiver than that is success.

Let's hope they sell a ton of the sports as the lighter more fuel efficient platform than gives LR more cap room to build a proper LR4 replacement and Defender!

roverandom

Adventurer
Alright, I was on the launch team for the new discovery sport.

If you want a vehicle to "build" into a trail rig. It's not the right choice

Sadly Land Rover no longer make anything that you can "build" into a trail rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roverrocks

Expedition Leader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly Land rover no longer makes anything I want to own let alone build into a trail rig. This "new" Discovery ain't nothing. Nada.

JSBriggs

Adventurer

Sadly Land rover no longer makes anything I want to own let alone build into a trail rig. This "new" Discovery ain't nothing. Nada.

Troof.

Not to mention JLRNA has been horrible with the way they have actively gone against the Defender community by petitioning against the import of 93 110's, and their active involvement in the raids and seizures last year.

-Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles