LR2 vs LR3 Which has the better build quality?

Truman Sparks

The wife has got the bug to get a Land Rover Discovery, we live in the desert and she want a four door to go out rock hound with the kids.

I have a FSJ Jeep 1980 Cherokee WT is my daily driver and know nothing about the Discovery's.

My first question is which had the better build quality the BMW or Ford built Discovery's.

Thanks TS

Last edited:

crystalclear

Observer
ive owned them all,

the l3/4 platform is superior in almost everyway to the previous models, excluding pure aesthetic appeal

Blaise

Note: The LR2 isn't really a discovery. I'm assuming you mean Discovery Series II vs LR3.

spikemd

Explorer
Really? Obviously you haven't even done the most basic research...an LR2 is a rebadged Volvo without low range and an LR3/LR4 is much bigger and infinitely more capable. Build quality is always suspect with the LR2 probably having less overall problems, but they are completely different cars. For your little jeep world, its like comparing the liberty to the wrangler...really???

Ray_G

Explorer
As others have noted, you are mixing platforms between title and text. If you are looking for a comparison between an LR2 and an LR3/Discovery 3...well, that's just an odd question given that they are very different vehicles for different purposes. The LR2 is basically the 2nd generation freelander and could be a considered a forefather to some of the other smaller car/crossover vehicles that LR sells now.

Whereas the LR3 is really what most of the rest of the world recognizes as the Discovery 3 and is the 3rd generation of the utility platform that I like to joke with my Defender friends is the truck that saved Land Rover (ironically it is now not really all that important as LR really makes its money off the Range Rover brand, and the aforementioned small crossover 'nice cars' like the Evoke and such.

Simple answer if your wife is looking to get a Discovery to take out into the desert with the kiddos: get the LR3. Not that there is anything wrong with a Disco II if its well maintained and such, and the coil springs may be a variable reduction you'll appreciate-but in the end the LR3 is a giant leap forward compared to the previous generation(s) in many facets that the wife and kids are likely to appreciate a great deal.

Plenty of threads here talking about what to look for. Likewise over on NAS-ROW there is a whole thread dedicated to the subject.
r-
Ray

LR Max

Local Oaf
The LR2 is actually a pretty decent car. Seems to work well and be reasonably to own and operate. For the crossover sector, its a decent vehicle. Driving them is fine and MPG is somewhat reasonable. The big problem with these cars is for the price of a decked out one, you might as well buy the next size up rover. As mentioned before, no low range and not off road oriented. So if you plan on using it for anything more than a dirt road, it'll start lacking pretty quickly. But if you want a fancy crossover to run up the mountains in the winter, it is a strong contender. I like the new disco sport, its successor. Once again, a fancy crossover but if you get into snow or whatever, it'll hold its own.

The Discovery 2. LOL I hate to be a ************ but after owning an LR3, I have no idea why anyone would consider a D2. I love the ride and feel of the D2. But the LR3 is such a much better vehicle, might as well go for the gold. The LR3 has better suspension, better drivetrain, better interior room, better MPG, and better towing capacity. Its an amazing vehicle. If you think twice about it, consider how many 170-250k LR3s there are out there still running on their original engine. Now consider that D2s need a top end rebuild every 100k or so. Yep. There ya go. Of course you pay to play elsewhere but bushings and suspension compressor aren't as momentous as dealing with slipped liners.

The later LR you can afford, the better. I'd say bypass anything made before 2005. 07-09 seem to be very well regarded in build quality.

Swedjen

A friend of mine has an LR3 with 360K. Yeah, a couple of control arms, water pump, compressor, but 360K on the original engine?? Everything else is still good.
Just change the fluids on time - tranny, transfer case, engine oil and coolant.
Bob's your uncle.

Jwestpro

Explorer
The LR2 is actually a pretty decent car. Seems to work well and be reasonably to own and operate. For the crossover sector, its a decent vehicle. Driving them is fine and MPG is somewhat reasonable. The big problem with these cars is for the price of a decked out one, you might as well buy the next size up rover. As mentioned before, no low range and not off road oriented. So if you plan on using it for anything more than a dirt road, it'll start lacking pretty quickly. But if you want a fancy crossover to run up the mountains in the winter, it is a strong contender. I like the new disco sport, its successor. Once again, a fancy crossover but if you get into snow or whatever, it'll hold its own.

The Discovery 2. LOL I hate to be a ************ but after owning an LR3, I have no idea why anyone would consider a D2. I love the ride and feel of the D2. But the LR3 is such a much better vehicle, might as well go for the gold. The LR3 has better suspension, better drivetrain, better interior room, better MPG, and better towing capacity. Its an amazing vehicle. If you think twice about it, consider how many 170-250k LR3s there are out there still running on their original engine. Now consider that D2s need a top end rebuild every 100k or so. Yep. There ya go. Of course you pay to play elsewhere but bushings and suspension compressor aren't as momentous as dealing with slipped liners.

The later LR you can afford, the better. I'd say bypass anything made before 2005. 07-09 seem to be very well regarded in build quality.

Funny, most of your "better" ideas are all just subjective opinion.

Disco II suspension has never told me "suspension fault, lowering and reducing power until resolved", "compressor running too much", etc. Never had to replace half shafts or a differential in the Disco II (did both in my lr3).

Disco II has MUCH taller space inside from floor to ceiling and almost as much back of front seat to door. LR3 has the most amazing & functional rear seats ever though ;) LR3 has much better leg room but the LR3 width is frankly suited better to 'wide' folks....

They're both amazing but there are some aspects the Disco II holds above the LR3. One being simple tire sizing as it can run a 16x7, 16x8, 16x10 as well as 18's. It can be massively lifted and safely if you're into that sort of thing. This would allow it to use flotation tires for artic/snow while LR3 is next to impossible/cost prohibitive.

Disco II comes with the spare tire in an already smart location ;)

TWO sunroofs open ;) (Mine have never leaked)

I have them both though so it's not like I have to choose. I suggest having both ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne