LR3 Air to Coil conversion.....one year later.

garrycol

The cap on the end of the desiccant chamber of the Hitachi compressor is plastic and can develop a microscopic crack between the two pipe inlets/outlets causing a loss of air when the compressor is running. As part of some rebuild kits or as an individual part you can buy metal caps that do not leak. Here is one to give an idea https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/For-Lan...ompressor-Dryer-End-Cap-Hitachi-/321594899233

I only paid about half that and got it from the US (Miami) but cannot remember where - Dr Google should be able to help you find cheaper options.

Garry

Cookie4x4

Prob worth wandering through my build thread.

Your questions are interesting; you sunk a ton of money into new EAS components-and are finding that troublesome, but ask if it's worth it because EAS components are cheap? Seems you have answered that question with your experience.

Yes, I've towed with coils-a fair amount-it is totally fine. Hardly any real difference from towing with EAS, even if the load is significant and you have a little sag in the back because of it-that has no real bearing on how it performs.

Yes it is comfortable, as noted in this thread, my thread, and many (most?) folks who have done it.

You loose the functions of the EAS. So no going up/down. Also no riding on the bumpstops when it fails, which is one of the functions of EAS too.

There can be a red suspension light in the bottom left corner of the dash if you don't hardwire the black box in and just use it as a ECU flash. Annoying is subjective, I've had mine on since 2015 and view it as a reminder that I don't have to worry about riding on the bumpstops.
r-
Ray

Thanks for the reply
I have sunk a lot of money in to it unfortunately and now it is taking the enjoyment away due to the constant reoccurring problem of the rear right height sensor, prices are cheaper but still not cheap if that makes sense!
I just replaced the suspension module on top of everything else and definitely not cheap
I dont want to do heavy rock crawling in the LR but live in a remote location where river crossings and sand are common, with out special functions the car still should be more then capable i feel and seems few people agree

Cookie4x4

2x what @Ray_G said. I have an 06 on the +2 OME HD coils. I have made multiple cross country trips hitting some pretty zesty trails and passes with a family of 4 and our pooch. To say the vehicle had some weight in it is an understatement. I also regularly tow my 24ft. fishing boat which isn't a slouch either. The LR with coils does great. I bought the vehicle for a steal, didn't want to put a ton of money into it and just didn't want to have to worry about reliability and something else failing on the trail, especially when I out with the wife and two kids. I haven't looked back.

Thank you for the reply, it is very helpful as exactly what i am looking for in terms of use with the family and we live in remote locations.
OME HD?

Cookie4x4

I have a 2006 with the Coil Conversion and a 2008 with Air spring. I can hardly notes a difference in Ride quality. The big question is do you want it lifted or not. I put the lift coils on my wife's 06 and regret it now, but only just because she wishes it was lower now.

Thanks for the reply,
I will lift it as we would require it at times i feel, depends on where we are travelling at the time but definitely wouldn't want to get caught needing the extra clearance

Cookie4x4

Prob worth wandering through my build thread.

Your questions are interesting; you sunk a ton of money into new EAS components-and are finding that troublesome, but ask if it's worth it because EAS components are cheap? Seems you have answered that question with your experience.

Yes, I've towed with coils-a fair amount-it is totally fine. Hardly any real difference from towing with EAS, even if the load is significant and you have a little sag in the back because of it-that has no real bearing on how it performs.

Yes it is comfortable, as noted in this thread, my thread, and many (most?) folks who have done it.

You loose the functions of the EAS. So no going up/down. Also no riding on the bumpstops when it fails, which is one of the functions of EAS too.

There can be a red suspension light in the bottom left corner of the dash if you don't hardwire the black box in and just use it as a ECU flash. Annoying is subjective, I've had mine on since 2015 and view it as a reminder that I don't have to worry about riding on the bumpstops.
r-
Ray

Out of interest what kit did you use and did you stick with medium up front and hd rear as in your build?
I think i am going to go for the coils and be done with the issue, maybe i can make some money on the new EAS parts

Ray_G

Explorer
Out of interest what kit did you use and did you stick with medium up front and hd rear as in your build?
I think i am going to go for the coils and be done with the issue, maybe i can make some money on the new EAS parts

May be worth looking through the whole build thread (sig line). When I converted there was no HD option, I eventually retrofitted HD coils in the back. Have had it long enough that I just refreshed everything given the toll I have taken on my truck since 2015. Still no regrets about the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glapin

Thank you for the reply, it is very helpful as exactly what i am looking for in terms of use with the family and we live in remote locations.
OME HD?
Yes, I got the OME HD +2 kit. It definitely didn't give me a full plus 2 and I would like a little more lift, but it is what it is and I'm willing to live with that. Truck rides and handles plenty good for me on the street and hammers it offroad. I don't drive it like most folks and it has quite a bit of rock and trail rash so I've put the shocks to the test. I've got about 25k miles on em and so far all is well.

Cookie4x4

May be worth looking through the whole build thread (sig line). When I converted there was no HD option, I eventually retrofitted HD coils in the back. Have had it long enough that I just refreshed everything given the toll I have taken on my truck since 2015. Still no regrets about the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, thanks for the information
I missed those last couple of pages but i feel i have made up my mind and with all the travelling that has been carried out on your set up seems its what i need
I will look into the dobinsons HD rears and OME fronts, Did you keep the 13mm expedition rear extensions in or did i misread that?
Thanks

Cookie4x4

Yes, I got the OME HD +2 kit. It definitely didn't give me a full plus 2 and I would like a little more lift, but it is what it is and I'm willing to live with that. Truck rides and handles plenty good for me on the street and hammers it offroad. I don't drive it like most folks and it has quite a bit of rock and trail rash so I've put the shocks to the test. I've got about 25k miles on em and so far all is well.

Thats great information to know, i feel its the way to go now for me.
Currently i cant drive mine with out in buzzing at me or flashing warning signs so i have had enough of sinking $$$ in to it to shout at me again!
Plus the move is going to affect it as well as when we are in remote locations i cant deal with the air, plus i keep all spares in the truck currently just incase so can free up some room from them finally.
Thanks again

Ray_G

Explorer
Hi, thanks for the information
I missed those last couple of pages but i feel i have made up my mind and with all the travelling that has been carried out on your set up seems its what i need
I will look into the dobinsons HD rears and OME fronts, Did you keep the 13mm expedition rear extensions in or did i misread that?
Thanks

When I put the dobbies on the new rear struts, I went ahead and put the 13mm spacer in b/c why not. Had I gotten Dobbies with Dobbie struts, I may not have bothered but since I was combining parts from an OME HD kit and even more HD springs, I had the whole thing cracked open with a strut machine so why not.

Cookie4x4

When I put the dobbies on the new rear struts, I went ahead and put the 13mm spacer in b/c why not. Had I gotten Dobbies with Dobbie struts, I may not have bothered but since I was combining parts from an OME HD kit and even more HD springs, I had the whole thing cracked open with a strut machine so why not.

Thanks for all the information, i went ahead and ordered the OME +2" HD kit from AB, just need to order the suspension spacers now.
I do have the SYA kit on my Air currently so will see how it sits and maybe even get standard profile and use the SYA with them if needed.

soflorovers

Thanks for all the information, i went ahead and ordered the OME +2" HD kit from AB, just need to order the suspension spacers now.
I do have the SYA kit on my Air currently so will see how it sits and maybe even get standard profile and use the SYA with them if needed.
Everyone seems to be beating around this bush. I would love to see how an OME +2 HD kit looks in tandem with the SYA kit.

Ray_G

Explorer
Everyone seems to be beating around this bush. I would love to see how an OME +2 HD kit looks in tandem with the SYA kit.

It's been done, there are likely pictures on this forum with a little searching. There is definitely evidence of it on facebook.

How it looks, and how it performs, are different facets. Aside from the concern on CV angles, the other thing that emerges that is less anecdotal is that your tire size options diminish speed and MPG.

All of which gets you to the ultimate question here "in order to...what?"

Glapin

Here it is. The mysterious unicorn. I did the OME HD +2. Then for ********** and giggles I put the SYA spacer kit in it. Results, Pros: it looked awesome, drove great. I actually liked the road manners better as it was a bit stiffer. Cons: lost almost all down travel. In corners under fairly heavy turning the traction control would kick in as the inside rear tire would get light.

I did some fairly serious off roading in this configuration as well as a couple 800 plus mile road trips. The inner CV boot tore and I had to pull the axle and clean it out and replace the boot. I ended up removing the SYA kit as I was concerned of the drastic CV angle and resulting stress. Reliability was more important to me than the clearance. That being said, if someone made a slighlty smaller spacer I would definitely put in an inch or so.
IMG_5722.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier