LR3 Blew a Tire. Can I Get 2?

zelatore

Explorer
Be sure to buy their tire warranty. They have replaced no less than 8 Cooper Zeon tires on my LR3 over the years and all it costs is the price of a new warranty on the replacement tire. That is why I buy all my tires there.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Under normal circumstances I avoid extended warranties like the plague, but on the Cooper STT-Pros I picked up a couple months ago from AmTire I popped the extra $40/per for the warranty. I pained me to spend the money but I've heard nothing but good about their warranty service and I killed 2 sidewalls on my last set of tires in 2 years so I figure if I get one of the 5 replaced I'll be good and 2 would put me well ahead of the game at roughly $300 per tire. The store manager specifically said they would cover off-road damage, so we shall see!

ColoDisco

Explorer
As a Land Rover and Audi tech I can say we frown on different tread types but different wear rates were never a issue.

I too swear by discounts warranty. And you don't have to buy the tires there to get the warranty. I bought my BFG MT KM2's through my dealer at a discount and bought the warranty separate. Had to replace a sliced sidewall tire and paid $30 for the warranty on the new tire. That was on my 95 D1 and never noticed any diff wear issues, drove it with one new and 3 75% tread for roughly 10k miles before I sold the truck.

Last edited:

rcharrette

Adventurer
Interesting topic as I went through this a year or so ago. I was traveling in Durango, CO and cut a tire badly. We went to a local (national chain) tire shop and they said I needed to replace all 4 tires as it was an all wheel drive truck. I explained the tires were fairly new but he insisted. Next I called Land Rover in SLC, UT where I bought the truck. He spoke the service guy at the tire shop got the tread depth of the old tire VS new and LR said it's not a problem, put it on.
I hung upend told the tire shop to just do it, one tire. I was floored when the manager came back and refused to do it. He said 4 tires or none! I then tried (on LR's advice) to just purchase the tire so I could take it down the road to another shop and have it installed. Again they refused to sell me one tire!!!!
So, I drove home on the spare (full size) and ordered one off of tire rack.com once home. It was pretty crazy.........

I've never heard of any shop that 'shaves' tires. If the OP decides to ask a shop to do this, please film the shops reaction.

The fact of the matter is that in practice, there is no issue with mismatched treads on tires. I have personal experience in 100's upon 100's on Land Rovers with like new tires in the rear and worn tires in the front. From the owners manual...

I used to run a tire cutting machine at a race tire shop back when I was a kid. Shaving a tire is not only common, sometimes it's the only way to get a tire totally round.

I agree with you about the center diff though. Splitting hairs.

Ian_Barry

Observer
I used to run a tire cutting machine at a race tire shop back when I was a kid. Shaving a tire is not only common, sometimes it's the only way to get a tire totally round.

How does the machine work/what does it look like? Google it and I'm not sure I've found the right machines or really understand how it works.

I was imagining a giant razor and a spinning tire - how far off am I?

Thanks,

Ian

jymmiejamz

Adventurer

I believe that was a common thing, I just don't think that is something many places do. This is a Land Rover, not a race car.

Hell Pie

Yes, definitely not a common thing. There is only one place in all of Los Angeles that does tire shaving. Interestingly, you can order tires from tirerack.com and they will shave them for an additional fee.

How does the machine work/what does it look like? Google it and I'm not sure I've found the right machines or really understand how it works.

I was imagining a giant razor and a spinning tire - how far off am I?

Thanks,

Ian

Exactly that, except the razor is a razor sharp disc spinning on the spindle of a motor. It works much like a lathe but you can adjust the pass to make a crown on the tire tread instead of going flat across.

It is a race car thing but adapted for race car use from big rig tire technology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier