LR3 coil spring conversion... Technical advice needed before I go insane

tscottg

Checked and they're tight. I have communication with the network where I didn't before. trying a hard reset in the mean time.. still waiting on a return call from AB tech support.

Update: Hard reset did not work, tried uploading the program again via DLC and that did not clear warnings either.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
So I would redo all the connections to be sure, and based off the codes it doesn't appear that the flash is taking. Or rather, it isn't holding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tscottg

Received a call from Garrison at AB...
the "30mph" message is due to the height sensors reading as if the vehicle is in extended mode... Their solution is to reload the vehicle software to air suspension, clear all codes, flash through the DLC for coils, disconnect the battery, wire the orange box in to the RLM harness, disconnect all ride height sensors, reconnect battery.

Garrison also said that you should still be able to read/clear codes with the Orange Box wired in... I will check again after trying the height sensor disconnection but I wonder if some lift rods would help alleviate the faulting in lieu of disconnecting ride height sensors

The other faults are becuase I am an idiot!
I attempted to calibrate the steering angle sensor with a non land rover scanner and now the comupters have the software of a Range Rover Sport... Friday morning appointment at the dealer to correct that.

Last edited:

tscottg

I'll install some lift rods tonight... It'll be on the lift again this evening to do my rear wheel bearings

tscottg

Got the truck back from the dealer after re-loading the as-built software to the DSC Module and Steering Angle Sensor... No more codes outside of the EAS

Installed lift rods (while RLM is flashed to EAS Mode) and the 30mph warning went away... Flashed to Coil Mode with lift rods installed and the 30 mph warning returns.

Will be disconnecting height sensors shortly

tscottg

OK, The process from AB worked! I am now driving with no error messages at all!

I still have no communication with any OBDii scanner and attempting to read codes immediately sends the car into a frenzy. The only remedy is to do a hard reset.

I will be devising a Orange Box bypass in the event I need to read/clear codes in the future.

Ray_G

Explorer
Well that's great that you don't have any messages...but I will say it makes me glad that I just flashed the unit, live with the red suspension light, but have my Scan Gauge plugged in all the time (and can swap in the IID as desired, with no issues)

sdjp

Hi everyone, experienced off-roader here with another brand. Completely new to LR, except for the 72’ series III I had briefly in high school almost 30 years ago.

just bought an 08’ LR3 HSE that already had the AB coil conversion done (air suspension failed the second time and previous owner had enough). It was a little old lady and the reputable Land Rover shop put in what seems like a lower than stock height coil/ strut.

QUESTION- to increase ride height can I just replace the coils with bigger coils on the strut or will I need to buy different sized struts too? Don’t want to re-buy something if I don’t have to. Going to do the 2” OME or 3” Lucky 8.

Ray_G

Explorer
I don't believe there is anything 3" that isn't cobbled together including a spacer on top of the strut.

To your question, yes, you can take OME (or other) springs and retrofit then onto your existing stock height coil struts. No issues there.

Between the MD and HD coils unless you don't think you will be laden at all, I'd suggest the HD from the start. Given how heavy these trucks are it seems to work best in the long run.
R-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke